NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 08:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Had the same reaction when I saw "8-speed". On paper, it is not competitive as German rivals (Audi, BMW, MB, etc) have at least 7-speed in their similarly sized CUVs. It would be interesting to see how the transmission performs in real life.
The Lexus 6-Speed units ever since the 4GS revised one have been good IMO. But as a numbers thing I'd prefer the 8.
Old 04-14-14, 09:51 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the NX going to use 6 speed or 8 speed transmission? Anyone knows?
Old 04-14-14, 10:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

10charact
Old 04-14-14, 11:56 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After driving cars with 8-speed I feel 8 is too much.

4 is too little

6 is perfect
Old 04-15-14, 06:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

As for interiors, I have to say that the interior on the updated X3 is quite nice, and it seems like the GLK will follow the new C Class, which appears top notch. The NX is going to have stiff competition in that regard, though we still only have a hand full of pictures of two interiors to compare (red F-Sport and cashmere "luxury"?). I would have liked a little more shape to the door panels, and in a perfect world, the center stack would be stretched a little wider across the dash...still seems a little too condensed to me.
Old 04-15-14, 06:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

If Lexus decides to omit Mark Levinson audio from NX in the States, I think that is a huge, huge mistake. ML has become synonymous with Lexus and people look for it.

I am probably in the demographic for a vehicle like this and may consider it in the future, but would not buy a Lexus that did not have ML audio. Period.
Old 04-15-14, 07:30 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CUV segment just got more spiced up with Japanese/French design combo. This thing could pass as Infiniti easily from outside.

Old 04-15-14, 07:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

6-speed (on paper) is a little disappointing, but we'll see in the real-world. I suspect it will not be a new tranny but taken from either the IS 250 RWD/Scion FRS or the IS/GS AWD 6-speed.

In 5 days, all this speculation on powertrain and dimensions hopefully will be put to rest at Beijing!
Old 04-15-14, 07:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
If Lexus decides to omit Mark Levinson audio from NX in the States, I think that is a huge, huge mistake. ML has become synonymous with Lexus and people look for it.

I am probably in the demographic for a vehicle like this and may consider it in the future, but would not buy a Lexus that did not have ML audio. Period.
The main competition (X3, Q5 & GLK) offer upgraded systems. Since Lexus offers ML in both the IS and ES, as well as the more upscale models, you'd think/hope it would be offered in the NX as well.
Old 04-15-14, 07:47 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Seriously... Where's my 8-Speed?!
A turbo motor needs longer gearing to keep RPMS low where all the torque is. The 8 speed was designed for N/A engines that make their power high up. The 6 speed on the 2IS, especially, had extremely short gearing.

I'm glad to see they are making a new transmission for the turbo - it's half of the power equation, and just as important as the engine itself.
Old 04-15-14, 07:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why do you want an 8 speed on an engine thats not that much over 200 hp. Thats like putting the 8 speed in the IS250
Old 04-15-14, 08:09 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
why do you want an 8 speed on an engine thats not that much over 200 hp. Thats like putting the 8 speed in the IS250
Efficiency? Engine will run on lower rpm which hopefully saves gas. Like bimmer 320i which has 2.0L turbo with 180hp and 8 speed, it gets 36+ mpg. I know this is not a sedan, but will be good getting mpg closer to Mazda CX-5 at least.
Old 04-15-14, 08:26 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
I'm glad to see they are making a new transmission for the turbo - it's half of the power equation, and just as important as the engine itself.
Is this confirmed? Otherwise, it can be from the existing parts bin from the FRS, IS, GS come to mind.

Originally Posted by smardav
Efficiency? Engine will run on lower rpm which hopefully saves gas. Like bimmer 320i which has 2.0L turbo with 180hp and 8 speed, it gets 36+ mpg. I know this is not a sedan, but will be good getting mpg closer to Mazda CX-5 at least.
+1
Old 04-15-14, 08:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

transmission gearing has to be optimized for the engines torque curve, just because you have more gears doesn't mean it will be more efficient for any engine. If you drop the rpm into a weak park of the engines torque curve (by having 8 gears) then youre not helping efficiency. Imagine how wimpy something like an S2000 would be in 8th gear. If its constantly requiring a downshift from 8th, then that 8th gear is worthless. The higher the gear is the less power that is reaching the wheels and you dont want to have so many gears tied to too weak of an engine.

Now on a turbo the torque curve can get away with that more because it has stronger torque compared to an NA version of the same engine so it allows you to have more gears

For this transmission who knows what it is, its mated to a FWD 4 cylinder which lexus doesnt have, unless they made the new engine compatible with the FWD V6 6 speed transmission used in ES/RX but it would have to be geared differently for the turbo engine.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-15-14 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 08:44 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
6-speed (on paper) is a little disappointing, but we'll see in the real-world. I suspect it will not be a new tranny but taken from either the IS 250 RWD/Scion FRS or the IS/GS AWD 6-speed.

The NX will not use the transmission from the IS, GS or FR-S because those are RWD cars. The NX is a FWD car with a transverse engine (like the RAV4) so it must have a transversely-mounted, extremely compact transmission. Its 6-speed transmission is likely to be the same one already used in the RAV4, Camry, Venza and Highlander.

Originally Posted by Infra
A turbo motor needs longer gearing to keep RPMS low where all the torque is. The 8 speed was designed for N/A engines that make their power high up. The 6 speed on the 2IS, especially, had extremely short gearing.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

This does not make sense either.

Originally Posted by smardav

If you want a turbo engine to provide power AND economy, you want closely-spaced gear ratios AND a long/tall high gear. With a greater number of gear ratios, the 8-speed can provide closely-spaced gear ratios to keep the engine in its power or torque sweet spots (even when shifting gears), AND it can also provide the tall high gear to keep engine RPMs low on the highway to improve economy.

With a lower number of gear ratios, like a 6-speed transmission, you can get closely-spaced gear ratios or a tall high gear, but not both. If the torque curve is flat with maximum torque available from low RPMs, then you could trade the greatly-spaced gear ratios for a tall top gear.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread