Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 02:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'm digging the red interiors that Lexus has been using
i like this new style from RC, where they combine the colors... as we can see in the middle seat or sides of the back and front seats. It gives some contrast and ends up looking better than all-red.
Old 04-10-14, 03:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Ugh! It's a nice overall design, but what's with the gear shift lever being moved AWAY from the driver!? How is someone supposed to comfortably manually shift when you have to reach near the passenger seat? All in the name of infotainment? Give me a break! This is NOT the direction we should be moving in. Driver control of a vehicle should be #1 priority. Does anyone care about being in control of their car's moves anymore? I must be losing my mind or going off the deep end...
Old 04-10-14, 03:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Ugh! It's a nice overall design, but what's with the gear shift lever being moved AWAY from the driver!? How is someone supposed to comfortably manually shift when you have to reach near the passenger seat? All in the name of infotainment? Give me a break! This is NOT the direction we should be moving in. Driver control of a vehicle should be #1 priority. Does anyone care about being in control of their car's moves anymore? I must be losing my mind or going off the deep end...
it is small SUV, shifter will be in your hand... besides, i would suppose that you will be using paddles for manual shifting (they can be seen on pics) if that bothers you. On the other hand, infotainment controls are used all the time.
Old 04-10-14, 03:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

more perspective... we can now see how deep the shoulders are, which is great... it should be really distinctive in real life!
Old 04-10-14, 03:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

more perspective... we can now see how deep the shoulders are, which is great... it should be really distinctive in real life!
Nice,very nice.I have great interest in an NX 300h luxury.
I'd love to see a pic of the luxury.
I hope they don't limit options for the US.
Old 04-10-14, 03:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

it is small SUV, shifter will be in your hand... besides, i would suppose that you will be using paddles for manual shifting (they can be seen on pics) if that bothers you. On the other hand, infotainment controls are used all the time.
I hope you are right.... that the shifter will fall in hand. I have my doubts though. It's closer to the passenger than the driver.

No one uses paddle shifters in every-day driving because no one drives with both hands on the upper part of a steering wheel. This is a fantasy/falacy, yet manufacturers continue to add them
while taking away the more comfortable shifting lever option.

Yes, infotainment is being used more and more- and I am against it all. Driving should be for concentrating on the road and having control over your vehicle, not surfing tunes, messaging, or checking stock reports. We are entering an epidemic of distracted driving, and all this infotainment is encouraging it. Sorry to get off on a tangent. I am old-fashioned. I just want a car that caters to the art and sport of driving- not other things.

Now back to NX news....
Old 04-10-14, 03:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

No one uses paddle shifters in every-day driving because no one drives with both hands on the upper part of a steering wheel. This is a fantasy/falacy, yet manufacturers continue to add them
while taking away the more comfortable shifting lever option.
True...but nobody shifts manually during day to day driving period, so really its a moot point all the way around.

Remember more than a couple cars are going to switch selector gearshifts with no traditional gearshift at all. What do these people do?

I have shifted my 4GS manually one time, thats all.
Old 04-10-14, 03:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Steering wheel looks like it's the RC's and shifter RC/IS's, which hints at sporty roots!

One minor gripe is the rear wiper is conventionally placed on the bottom window and is visible unlike the RX's hidden beneath the spoiler.

Hard to tell if those are 18s or 19 inch wheels.
Old 04-10-14, 03:41 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Digging this car, I do hope it is closer to the profile of a BMW x6 than an x3.

Lexus already has a capable and convenient luxury SUV, now they need a cool and coupe-like SUV.
Old 04-10-14, 03:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
True...but nobody shifts manually during day to day driving period, so really its a moot point all the way around.

Remember more than a couple cars are going to switch selector gearshifts with no traditional gearshift at all. What do these people do?

We have a tiptronic transmission in one of our cars. I play with it now and then, but 99% of the time it stays in auto. And I grew up with manual trans cars.
Old 04-10-14, 03:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS

Agreed, it is a moot point. No one shifts anymore. Less and less control of the driving experience and more and more entertainment things to get involved with. It's a fight I'm going to lose as the years peel away. There's very few models now offering a comfortable, driver-involved position. Lexus/Toyota is one of the last holdouts, but I'm guessing the end is near with shifters now being moved away from drivers.
Old 04-10-14, 03:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

a lot of things you say don't make sense at all

if you are talking about the RC, IS, GS (more performance oriented vehicles) i might agree with you, but on the nx (which is like rx)? please. it's a car i put in D and that's the end of story. if you want performance you are in a very wrong car to begin with already. a

and like spwolf said, this is not a huge car, reaching over to the shifter that's maybe 2 inches further right is not going to kill anything. if you need to care about that extra 0.3s shift time again you are in the wrong car

and if you really care about performance, i am sorry but your hands SHOULD be in the 9 and 3 oclock positions which are exactly where the pedals are, and yes i am sure that will provide far quicker action speed than moving over to shifter.

i don't see how having hands at 9 and 3 o'clock being uncomfortable, well i guess i care more about safety and reaction time when i need it, make that my nsx or gx
Old 04-10-14, 04:10 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Steering wheel looks like it's the RC's and shifter RC/IS's, which hints at sporty roots!

One minor gripe is the rear wiper is conventionally placed on the bottom window and is visible unlike the RX's hidden beneath the spoiler.

Hard to tell if those are 18s or 19 inch wheels.
Agreed. This is a feature I treasure in the RX. Very elegant despite washing the area around the wiper needs a proper car wash technique to prevent from swirls and abrasion.

Probably NX is too small to incorporate the wiper at the top. The answer should be clear when seeing the car in person.
Old 04-10-14, 04:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

AndyL, yeah the RX had a clean rear! LOL

another pic of the back... apreantly, embargo might lift at midnight in Europe, so lets see.

I know it's tough to conclude from this shot, but you can see there is still a few inches of legroom from the lady's knee to the back of the front seat. Looks roomy back there. It wouldn't surprise me to see the specs show 36-37" minimum legroom at the rear.

Also, liking the two-tone seats. This vehicle should quiet those critics who bash Lexus for having ho-hum styling in and out.
Old 04-10-14, 04:35 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
AndyL, yeah the RX had a clean rear! LOL

I know it's tough to conclude from this shot, but you can see there is still a few inches of legroom from the lady's knee to the back of the front seat. Looks roomy back there. It wouldn't surprise me to see the specs show 36-37" minimum legroom at the rear.

Also, liking the two-tone seats. This vehicle should quiet those critics who bash Lexus for having ho-hum styling in and out.
The two-tone seats look refreshing. Still a few hours before clear shots of NX is available here!

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread