Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Reimbursement for damaged wheels due to pothole

Old 12-27-16, 09:52 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Reimbursement for damaged wheels due to pothole

So if you have dented or bent a wheel/s from a pothole or separating roadway you can be reimbursed from the county in which it occurred. I had done this a couple years ago and found out that the county would pay for it. Let me know if you have any questions and I can help with the process with a proper written statement with all the needed investigative proof.

Peace
Old 12-28-16, 06:56 AM
sleekmr3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard stories of this, but have never known anyone personally that has been reimbursed. What's the process and how much did they reimburse you for?
Old 12-29-16, 04:41 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleekmr3
I have heard stories of this, but have never known anyone personally that has been reimbursed. What's the process and how much did they reimburse you for?
That I am aware of, all counties in CA have this protection for roadway users. I was reimbursed the whole amount. Though you need to write up your complaint and have proof. My wheels are 3 piece aluminum, which doesnt matter the type, and my outer lip was cracked. I was driving home from work, night , and didnt see the pothole. Same thing happened to my civics wheels. My dumb ****, again, didnt see it and crack those wheels at the same hole. I had 2 claims I filed in Alameda county. It took approximately 1 month to receive the check. It was very expensive to fix my wheels. Wheel Tech is not cheap but they do excellent work. I bought a new outer lip and Wheel Tech disassembled and fixed the wheel. If I can recall the other wheel was able to fix with out replacing the inner barrel. I had to buy another wheel for the civic, cheepies on my hoopty but still.
Write your statement ASAP, take pics, and turn in receipts. They possibly will call you so leave a good contact number just in case. I knew about this because 2 coworkers hit a large hole while a road company was fixing. They didnt put up a sign for safety and slammed into it. Mined you they had stock vehicles, that's how bad the road was left, unsafe. The whole car shut down for safety and he was screwed getting to work. So he filed a claim and was reimbursed no problems, accept the hassel. Dude was telling me the whole story and years later I remembered what happened so I asked him what the process was and BOOM. PAID. Lol.

Here is the LINK for all.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/damageClaimsFAQ.htm
Old 12-29-16, 11:58 PM
ap1nyt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, thanks for the info
Old 01-01-17, 09:38 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by srt1
....So he filed a claim and was reimbursed no problems, accept the hassel....
"Except the hassle"
Old 01-04-17, 06:49 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by specONE
"Except the hassle"
I am referring to the hassle as the his car in the shop all due to a pot hole. Other than that the filing reimbursement was a relief because his cost would have been a VERY expensive repair if it was out of pocket. Not only the wheels and tires but sensors and if I can recall air bag deployed, it was that hard of an impact. Car shut off completely.
Old 01-06-17, 01:25 PM
sleekmr3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info. Good to know
Old 01-07-17, 11:44 PM
metrik
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also in Alameda county so this is great info. Hopefully I won't have to deal with it knock on wood
Old 02-13-17, 10:56 AM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to be filling out a claim, but I don't know who to mail the form to. The incident occurred in San Francisco, but the closest district seems to be district 4, corresponding to Oakland.

Here's the map I'm looking at.
Old 02-26-17, 11:18 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I hear it requires proof that the damaged road way has been that way for longer than 30 days. Got this info from a KRON 4 segment People Behaving Badly.
Old 02-27-17, 08:36 AM
sushiboiii
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the potholes alone on 101 north are nuts. I've had a few customer attempt to try and get them reimbursed but nothing ever came of it least that i know of.
Old 03-01-17, 08:53 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Going to have to make a claim soon as well on my BMW. The rain from the past few weeks created a **** ton of potholes where I live, slammed into one last week & now my steering wheel wobbles & vibrates at anything over 40mph