Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Buying From Out-of-State Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-16, 03:56 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying From Out-of-State Tips

Hello NorCal. Just wondering if anyone has a good guide on buying a car from out-of-state from a dealership (not private party at this point). Just some context, I don't plan on test driving the car in person before the purchase if the car is too far away from me. Will need it to be shipped to me from the dealership. Obviously, a CPO Lexus would be great, but there is no guarantee and I have waited for years to find a used USB IS F locally and am tired of waiting.

If you personally bought a Lexus from out-of-state and can offer any tips that would great. Thanks.
Old 01-18-16, 05:52 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure it has CA emissions sticker. You will have to take the car to DMV for them to inspect it and register.
Old 01-19-16, 08:51 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

I bought my is300 from dealer in texas many moons ago. I didn't test drive it or anything either. you can pull up the car fax for the car using the car's vin digits. all the history should be on there. if there are no blemishes, then you should be good to go. the dealer graciously split the shipping with me, so maybe if they're expecting you to pay for shipping you can ask to split the bill.
Old 01-19-16, 11:53 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find USB in CA either. I have family in Arizona so I found a clean USB ISF out there, flew out, paid, and drove it back.

After that, you go to the DMV and have the VIN matched on the door, engine, engine bay, etc. and that's it. They just do a VIN check (1 appointment) and you go back to register it after that (2nd appointment). You might be able to do both if you have it smogged prior, I had to go back because I had just got back and it wasn't smogged yet.

For reference, I got my 08 USB ISF for $26.5k. It's worth a $130 plane ticket and 10 hour joy ride to save a few grand!
Old 01-19-16, 11:56 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a car from Seattle. It wasn't too bad - just need to do a VIN inspection and smog!

I recommend that you do the steps as follows:

1) Go get it registered at the DMV. You will fill out all the paperwork, and they will give you a temporary operating permit. That way you have registration papers so show the smog place
2) Go smog
3) Return to DMV to do the VIN inspection, and pick up your plates!

Last edited by GiantsFan; 01-20-16 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-24-16, 06:53 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Thank you for all the great comments. Really appreciate it!

For the people that bought it from an out-of-state dealership and had it shipped to California, any suggestions in how to negotiate the price and shipping? Thanks.
Old 01-26-16, 07:48 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

yeah, it's called asking. you can either ask them to cover the shipping or ask them if they're willing to split the shipping cost. the worst they can say is no. there are no tricks or tactics to asking...just have to have the fortitude to do it.
Old 01-31-16, 07:43 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cp2
yeah, it's called asking. you can either ask them to cover the shipping or ask them if they're willing to split the shipping cost. the worst they can say is no. there are no tricks or tactics to asking...just have to have the fortitude to do it.
Sounds good. Thanks.