Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Pulled over for front tint in the bay area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 08:36 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pulled over for front tint in the bay area?

Haven't seen a recent thread regarding tinting issues here in the bay area. Just got mine tinted 35% (3M Color Stable so it's a darker shade) all around and I was just wondering if anyone has received a ticket recently. If you haven't received one, what % tint and for how long now?

If you received one, what % tint front & back and in what city or area specifically?

And maybe some tips like, keep your front plate on, open sun roof, tint back darker than front, roll windows down, etc.

Last edited by BoyOhBoy; 04-22-14 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-22-14, 09:23 PM
dlt85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had numerous annoying stops for tint all over the bay area. My 1996 Cobra had a 5% all around tint when I bought it in San Diego; on the drive home to San Francisco I was stopped by CHP as soon as I hit santa clara county...got warning. NEXT DAY pulled over by palo alto PD: tint fix-it and no front plate fix it. Since then (2007) ive ran 50% in the front and a front plate, no hassle since. My e46 M3 had 25% in the front when I bought it, stopped once in concord after 1 mo (warning) and was OK for a year until I got a tint ticket in Colma while the car was PARKED.Since then I've always done 80/5 and ran front plates lol. I feel not having the front plate is a bigger liability in terms of getting spotted, and dont even try to put it up on the dash haha, that makes you an even bigger target
Old 04-22-14, 09:49 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got pulled over right before Mission Blvd on 680 for 20% tints and no front plate. Got the tints removed, found a cop finishing his lunch break and he signed it off. Didn't even give one glance at my car. Tints are back up of course. If it happened again, I'd do the same except removing the tint.
Old 04-22-14, 10:08 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

In the 22 years plus the SC has been in the family (me briefly, wife, son, and now back to me) the car has NEVER had a front plate and never been bothered.

Now, being lowered, 19s, and "proper tinting" not sure how much longer that streak will last.

As for tinting, ended up with 15 rear and rear sides to start. Then my tint company advised about an almost clear tint that has just come out that provides equal or better heat and UVA protection and won't attract the attention that gets us those fix it tickets.... That is now installed on both front side windows and I have heard a few folks putting it on the front wind shield (but that one seems a bit far fetched).
Attached Thumbnails Pulled over for front tint in the bay area?-clsc32214-003-l-crop.jpg  
Old 04-22-14, 10:34 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Moved to the bay area about a year and a half ago (from Connecticut). I haven't have any issues with our cars being all tinted. Previous beater Acura RSX with 35% all around, same tint level for the current beater IS350. Wifey's RX350 ONLY front windows at 50% and factory's in the back. I dont want any trouble with the BMW Z4M so only have 20% in the rear and almost clear on front windows (3M Crystalline). Also running no front plate on the Bimmer and no problem yet
I believe California law allowed any tint level the rears but only 70% for the front windows. My tint guy wouldn't put tint on the windshield. He said it is illegal and he doesnt want to be liable if something happened. I am not sure if it is true but he said insurance might deny accident claim if they deem the tinted windshield obstruct your view and cause the accident.
Old 04-23-14, 01:15 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Moved to the bay area about a year and a half ago (from Connecticut). I haven't have any issues with our cars being all tinted. Previous beater Acura RSX with 35% all around, same tint level for the current beater IS350. Wifey's RX350 ONLY front windows at 50% and factory's in the back. I dont want any trouble with the BMW Z4M so only have 20% in the rear and almost clear on front windows (3M Crystalline). Also running no front plate on the Bimmer and no problem yet
I believe California law allowed any tint level the rears but only 70% for the front windows. My tint guy wouldn't put tint on the windshield. He said it is illegal and he doesnt want to be liable if something happened. I am not sure if it is true but he said insurance might deny accident claim if they deem the tinted windshield obstruct your view and cause the accident.
Wow that's a good point.. Man I was going to do the 3M Crystalline until I saw the prices. I shouldn't have chosen the color stable one.. I thought the 3M FX was too light on my friends car but it's because he only had his rear windshield tinted..

This is my 35%
Old 04-23-14, 03:59 AM
JusticeK
Rookie

35 up front for about 10 months, haven't been bothered yet. See cops on a daily basis over by 880.

Jay
Old 04-23-14, 06:06 AM
RichFlair
Pole Position

5% all around
Attached Thumbnails Pulled over for front tint in the bay area?-screenshot_2014-04-17-07-30-53.png  
Old 04-23-14, 10:03 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RichFlair
5% all around
LOL never been pulled over?! Straight up limo tint
Old 04-23-14, 10:13 AM
RichFlair
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
LOL never been pulled over?! Straight up limo tint
im not going to jinx anything lol
Old 04-23-14, 12:23 PM
Andrew@SonicMS
Former Sponsor

I have 35% front and 20% rear tint.

Trouble-free so far, been like this for 2+ years.
Old 04-23-14, 01:41 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

35% is borderline depends on the officer and if he can tell if you're a minority or not through the glass LOL. Sad but true. 50% should warrant no issues however. I have mirror tint which looks like a mirror but I can see clearly as if there was no tint through it but I always open my sunroof if a cop pulls next to me just to be safe and let a little light in. My 5% tinted tails tho will get my pulled over any day now I can sense it

P.S. No front plate and dealer plates.
Old 04-24-14, 10:00 AM
FPSee
Driver

I've actually had my car tinted 35%F 5%R just last week & on a couple of cars I had. I had no problems with it as far as cops pointing it out. I feel 35% is dark enough but still able to see thru the other side of the window:
Old 04-24-14, 12:32 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It basically breaks down to if you've got Anything illegal (which front window and a certain amount of windshield tint is) they can pull you over. I've been pulled over for tint, no front plate, speeding, carpool lane, illegal u turn, broken windshield, too low, modified exhaust, etc. so if you have or do any of those things the cop can legally ticket you since there is a vehicle code violation. For t windows I would just try and roll them down if I saw a cop behind me and open the sunroof.
Old 04-24-14, 01:29 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
It basically breaks down to if you've got Anything illegal (which front window and a certain amount of windshield tint is) they can pull you over. I've been pulled over for tint, no front plate, speeding, carpool lane, illegal u turn, broken windshield, too low, modified exhaust, etc. so if you have or do any of those things the cop can legally ticket you since there is a vehicle code violation. For t windows I would just try and roll them down if I saw a cop behind me and open the sunroof.
Sounds like me when I owned my integra... now that I have an F, I always drive with my sunroof open, still don't have a front plate, don't know the percentage on my tint, but haven't been hassled and I drive from Newark to Oakland infront of OPD M-F for the past 2+ years. I guess it also helps that I have a Member 11-99 Foundation license plate frame.

Hope I didn't just jinx my self

Quick Reply: Pulled over for front tint in the bay area?