Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Pulled over for front tint in the bay area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 06:41 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^haha, I had an Integra too. I think it helps that we're in a Lexus. Probably stereo type and think we're older and more sophisticated. I have an 11-99 Foundation plate also. That helps along with my firefighter plate and firefighters union sticker.
Old 04-24-14, 09:26 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I try not to give a cop a reason to pull me over. No tint in the front, 5% in the rear, front plate on. I've dealt with enough fix-it tickets in the past over things I knew weren't legal. I was heavy in the nightclub scene at one point and didn't want to give reason to get pulled over at 3am with god knows how many drinks I may have consumed. May it have just been one drink they'll do a sobriety test on you at 3am leaving an area in sf that has a night club near by. If I can avoid getting pulled over for no front plate and it end up in a dui check the better.
Old 04-24-14, 10:09 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lbintab
I try not to give a cop a reason to pull me over. No tint in the front, 5% in the rear, front plate on. I've dealt with enough fix-it tickets in the past over things I knew weren't legal. I was heavy in the nightclub scene at one point and didn't want to give reason to get pulled over at 3am with god knows how many drinks I may have consumed. May it have just been one drink they'll do a sobriety test on you at 3am leaving an area in sf that has a night club near by. If I can avoid getting pulled over for no front plate and it end up in a dui check the better.
Yeah, that's the truth. Another reason why my friend hasn't done his front tints yet. That's one reason why I keep my front plates on. It's too cold to be rolling my front windows down at night though so I just keep them rolled up and hope for the best.
Old 04-25-14, 03:53 PM
JusticeK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They can pull you over for "being too low"? damn.

Jay
Old 04-26-14, 08:44 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JusticeK
They can pull you over for "being too low"? damn.

Jay
Yup. There's several vehicle codes. The one I got busted for was the "center of the headlight must be no lower than 21" from the ground." There's also another one that says "no part of the vehicle may be lower than the lowest part of the wheel." I think a member Henry on here got the second one at his college while parked cause he was aired out, not even driving.
Old 04-26-14, 12:16 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Yup. There's several vehicle codes. The one I got busted for was the "center of the headlight must be no lower than 21" from the ground." There's also another one that says "no part of the vehicle may be lower than the lowest part of the wheel." I think a member Henry on here got the second one at his college while parked cause he was aired out, not even driving.
Wow, you got to be kidding me. That is a real bummer. I remember I first spotted Henry's old set up at my high school. That was like 3 years ago too. There's so many risks to the car game when most of us aren't even doing anything wrong hahaha man. The stuggle
Old 04-26-14, 02:44 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
CA DMV code 24400 reads "no less than 22 or higher than 54 inches" measured from the pavement to the middle of the lamp. Fog lamps (24403) state not less than 12 or more than 30 inches.

Just went and measured mine and I am within the legal range for both categories!!!!

As for being "too low", that one is bit more involved and references that no part of the car can be lower than the rim of any wheel. When I lowered my car on the 15 inch OEM rims (looking back at pictures) it looks like it was illegal but now on the 19s it appears to be within the language. Go figure.
Old 04-27-14, 02:15 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That 21 inch vertical rule has been around since the 90's, I remember when I was younger, my older cousin's civic was ticketed for that & remember hearing the officer explaining that to him
Old 04-27-14, 05:03 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the tint restrictions here too. Rationale is that they can't identify the driver if you're picked up on the speeding
camera. Can't comment on whether it makes a lot of sense,if you haven't driven the car, you must in anyway prove it, but speeding fines from cameras probably keep the bread on their tables, otherwise you can do what you like on our roads. Not really such wonderful, lack of policing leads here to a lot of road rage.
Old 04-27-14, 06:14 PM
crosseyes
Driver School Candidate

Had a ticket once due to this offence. At that I'm I had a black chrome 3m tint all around. After the ticket I had it replace it V cool clear tint. My cost triple compared with other brand but hey protection is good and no more hassle with the enforcers.
Old 04-27-14, 08:32 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Have the tint restrictions here too. Rationale is that they can't identify the driver if you're picked up on the speeding
camera. Can't comment on whether it makes a lot of sense,if you haven't driven the car, you must in anyway prove it, but speeding fines from cameras probably keep the bread on their tables, otherwise you can do what you like on our roads. Not really such wonderful, lack of policing leads here to a lot of road rage.
How do camera speeding tickets even work? Do they take pics of you on the freeway or is the camera mounted on top of each intersection light?
Old 04-29-14, 01:49 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Thought you have that curse in the US too, know it's the case in the UK. They just put a camera in a steel box on a post in the most unexpected spots next to the highway or in town as well. According to a court ruling they are now forced to have warnings that fining by camera is done on a specific road and the camera posts must be painted in prominent yellow. You think that helps to make our drivers see them. No! its like the warning on the cigarette box, telling people they'll drop dead the moment they light one, but they still keep on smoking lol. Usually you get the fine by post. Have one lying on my desk, from when me and the wife took a guy from Vegas around to see our lovely Cape Town area. Reminds me to pay it, course it says I'll have to appear in court if I don't.
You probably want to know how they can identify the driver. Well a guy I know thought he's going to pull a fast one and waited for the court date and said he wasn't driving the car, it was stolen at the time. They didn't even ask for him to produce the proof of the theft report to the cops. They zoomed the picture in on the screen in court and lo and behold there was our guy sitting, smugly behind the steering wheel.
Gets me reaching for the .303 British army carbine I inherited from my dad. Nowadays they've turned the roads they've inherited from the previous government into toll roads. Why one must pay toll on a road that's been built and paid by your dad's generation and fined for going 10 kmh over the limit, gets the Scottish blood I've inherited from my mother, boiling.
Old 04-29-14, 03:38 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Wow, seems like everything is pretty strict over there. I've only heard about people getting tickets on 880 here because of a supposed camera that's on the carpool lane side. Never gotten one before and idk anyone who's been caught by one of those cameras. You're right though, they're going a little too extreme to get some extra money out of us. Tax money ain't enough. And they'd rather spend their time pulling over people who aren't even causing harm. Just trying to express our style and taste for cars hahaha
Old 04-29-14, 06:45 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Thing is we get what one can call selective policing. Much concentration on speed fines and very if any policing on movement trespasses like following too closely, skipping traffic lights etc. etc. But then one must know what brings in the green backs when you're running a traffic department. No use wasting money on the real issues.Because there's no patrolling really, you get the clown which follows a millimeter behind you in a pick-up truck. Fortunately you quickly leave him far behind if you're driving a Lexus and the road opens up a bit, but then you get caught in a camera speed trap and he goes free haha.
Old 04-30-14, 08:14 PM
t0eknee
Rookie

I have a black IS300 and have had one warnings before I got a fix it ticket. Barely had my tints on for a year. 20% all around. It also didn't help that my car was black (making it seem darker than it is) and modded. I commute from San Jose to Mountain View for work but got pulled over in SF with windows half way down.

My gf's sister has a stock white 328i with 35% tints in the front and has never been pulled over.

I use to have my sunroof visor always opened so light can shine though but it was still pretty dark.

Image of how the car looks when the sun is almost down

Image of day time

Comparison to how it is now with no front tints

Quick Reply: Pulled over for front tint in the bay area?