Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Possible relocation to Bay Area, have questions about housing,car mods and weapons.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 07:00 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Possible relocation to Bay Area, have questions about housing,car mods and weapons.

I may be relocating to the Bay Area, my office will be in Fremont. Housing there from what I've seen is more than what I'm used to in the DC area. I would rent first and then buy after I get a feel for the area. I have no problem driving an hour to work I do that anyway here give or take.

1. Any recommendations for areas to rent close to Fremont?
2. Any recommendations for areas to buy a house, needs to be single family and have a 2 car garage.

Moving on to car mods. I read all the info on CA's DMV website. I sold SC, I have a TL, it's on 18's lowered on Tein Springs and cat back exhaust. I know I will have to remove the tint, the exhaust is quiet and is nowhere close to the 95 db restriction. Anyway I want to get another toy, I had planned on a Supra but don't want to deal with the unwanted attention from Johnny Law out there. How strict and picky are the cops out there? I may just get a Viper or C6 Z06 and keep it stock instead of a Supra.

Also what are the rules concerning weapons specifically handguns, I plan on getting a AR-15 but with all the recent changes and stuff I have no idea what the CA rules are.

Thanks in advance, I'm doing my own research on all these items but would be great to have input from the locals.
Old 10-14-13, 08:58 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fremont is pretty nice, I wanted to look out into that area myself. Certain parts are "new", developing nicely.

We don't have "inspections" on vehicles other than smog. BUT... if you get pulled and the cop sees your tinted windows, he may tag you on other things. My cars have never had problems and my muscle car is all fancied up.

Weapons - well, this is Cali and they don't like AR-15s. Most law abiding citizens can keep theirs if it was bought before the ban. But it's really hard to find a place to shoot. A lot of the ranges have closed down because of the gun laws.
Old 10-14-13, 09:21 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out in Fremont the cops are strict. Because they are bored I guess lol.

Most of the cities around there are nice. You probably won't want to live in Oakland or Hayward. They have some not so great parts.
Old 10-14-13, 09:23 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iRock

Most of the cities around there are nice. You probably won't want to live in Oakland or Hayward. They have some not so great parts.
But they do have a lot of guns! (Illegal ones)
Old 10-14-13, 10:41 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Fremont is pretty nice, I wanted to look out into that area myself. Certain parts are "new", developing nicely.

We don't have "inspections" on vehicles other than smog. BUT... if you get pulled and the cop sees your tinted windows, he may tag you on other things. My cars have never had problems and my muscle car is all fancied up.

Weapons - well, this is Cali and they don't like AR-15s. Most law abiding citizens can keep theirs if it was bought before the ban. But it's really hard to find a place to shoot. A lot of the ranges have closed down because of the gun laws.
Fremont was nice when I was out there a couple months ago, I'm heading back in a few weeks and will do some more driving around and try to find some of the new developments.

I would keep the tint legal from what I've read I can tint any windows except driver, passenger and windshield. Right now my TL is 35% all around including the entire windshield, it's a weekend car so I really don't get bothered but yes that tint will be removed if I move to CA.

Oh ok I'm fine with just handguns, I will look up to see if CA allows concealed carry.

Originally Posted by iRock

Ha Ha yea I know of similar areas around here too cops don't have much to do so they don't let anything slide. Oakland was definitely not on the list lol, don't know anything about Hayward.
Old 10-14-13, 11:38 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fremont is a nice place to live. I live in Union city...next to Fremont. Fremont, Union City, and Newark have a diverse group of people. I enjoy living here and would want me kids to grow up here as well.

As for gun laws...hand gun and AR-15s are fine if you keep it in your home. There are shooting range that allows you to use them. (At least for now unless the gun bill pass)
Old 10-14-13, 04:59 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hand guns and AR's are fine. But AR's must have a bullet button installed. I have tons of hand guns, rifles and 8 AR's, and 1 beowulf .50 . You'll be fine with the firearms.
Old 10-14-13, 09:56 PM
laoboiGS3
Pole Position

Good luck getting a concealed carry out here. More than likely isn't happening. They're OK with handguns. But you have to make sure it's on their list of guns that are allowed. I think they're pretty specific about it.
Like the rock island .45 1911. The full size matte black one is fine here. But the two tone isn't on the list. And I wouldn't chance it.
Just gotta register your gun within 10 days of actually moving here.
Old 10-15-13, 06:37 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by Supraristo
Hand guns and AR's are fine. But AR's must have a bullet button installed. I have tons of hand guns, rifles and 8 AR's, and 1 beowulf .50 . You'll be fine with the firearms.
Oh ok cool, thanks. I see you have a Supra, how's it dealing with it being modded out there?

Originally Posted by laoboiGS3
Good luck getting a concealed carry out here. More than likely isn't happening. They're OK with handguns. But you have to make sure it's on their list of guns that are allowed. I think they're pretty specific about it.
Like the rock island .45 1911. The full size matte black one is fine here. But the two tone isn't on the list. And I wouldn't chance it.
Just gotta register your gun within 10 days of actually moving here.
Oh ok I will check into everything in detail, still waiting to see if this will happen or not.
Old 10-15-13, 08:35 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=plex;8188428]Oh ok cool, thanks. I see you have a Supra, how's it dealing with it being modded out there?

He only drives it to shows....but even to LA shows.
Old 10-15-13, 09:26 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by plex
Oh ok cool, thanks. I see you have a Supra, how's it dealing with it being modded out there?
Lol, my supra is all stock.
Old 10-16-13, 12:09 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 77 Posts

I grew up in Newark and now own a house in Newark, which is right next door to Fremont. One thing you'll notice right off the back is CULTURE SHOCK, as most people have stated it. The bay area, especially silicon valley is a VERY diverse group, and with these "groups" comes different communities which raise or drop the value of the area. Fremont has a lot of middle eastern (indian) and asian people since they all want their kids going to Mission San Jose highschool which is the highest/best/demanding schools which could be a pro and con. Right down the hill is Irvington which is considered the "ghetto" of Fremont. As for places to live, thats entirely up to you... are you single or have a family? High paying job? Do you want to be in the middle of it all or do you want a suburban lifestyle? You could essentially go anywhere from San Jose, SF, Oakland... If you want specific recommendations in the Fremont, Newark, Union City area's...feel free to PM me. I commute to downtown Oakland for work everyday so I know the Oakland area pretty well.

As for modded cars, I'd leave your TL the way it is. Fremont used to be the worst about modded cars because there was an officer (Rosetti) who was hit by a street racer once so he's created task forces and has gone out of his way to pull people over with HID's, exhaust, tint, slammed cars, etc. He's been retired for the past 5+ years now so having mods hasn't been an issue unless you give them a reason to pull you over (speeding, street races, wreckless driving). No front plate is a perfect example as well of what some cops will target you for but majority dont. LOTS of modded cars in the bay area and yours just sounds like every other car on the road.
Old 10-18-13, 04:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
I grew up in Newark and now own a house in Newark, which is right next door to Fremont. One thing you'll notice right off the back is CULTURE SHOCK, as most people have stated it. The bay area, especially silicon valley is a VERY diverse group, and with these "groups" comes different communities which raise or drop the value of the area. Fremont has a lot of middle eastern (indian) and asian people since they all want their kids going to Mission San Jose highschool which is the highest/best/demanding schools which could be a pro and con. Right down the hill is Irvington which is considered the "ghetto" of Fremont. As for places to live, thats entirely up to you... are you single or have a family? High paying job? Do you want to be in the middle of it all or do you want a suburban lifestyle? You could essentially go anywhere from San Jose, SF, Oakland... If you want specific recommendations in the Fremont, Newark, Union City area's...feel free to PM me. I commute to downtown Oakland for work everyday so I know the Oakland area pretty well.

As for modded cars, I'd leave your TL the way it is. Fremont used to be the worst about modded cars because there was an officer (Rosetti) who was hit by a street racer once so he's created task forces and has gone out of his way to pull people over with HID's, exhaust, tint, slammed cars, etc. He's been retired for the past 5+ years now so having mods hasn't been an issue unless you give them a reason to pull you over (speeding, street races, wreckless driving). No front plate is a perfect example as well of what some cops will target you for but majority dont. LOTS of modded cars in the bay area and yours just sounds like every other car on the road.
I'm a newly wed so it would just be me and my wife for now. I like more of the suburbs, I don't mind living 40-50 miles away from Fremont. I'll be out there early Nov for 2 weeks so one the weekends off I'll check out some areas.

I had no real plans to go further with the TL maybe just finish off the OEM Lip Kit. I do however want a fun car I like Supras my plan was to put the 6spd stuff from my SC into Supra NA but sounds like CA is really particular about swaps. I even thought about a old school 300ZX (90-96 with a 2jzgte or LS V8 swap). One of my friends suggested a stock Z06 to avoid any swap headaches with the state. Will recheck the rules again and see how the folks with swaps are dealing with it.
Old 10-18-13, 10:03 PM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cali rules for rifles: 10 round magazines max, no quick release for the magazine and it has to be semi automatic. There are ranges around here, from where you'll be relocating closest range will probably be in milpitas. Oh cops are hit and miss around here. If you don't catch there attention then you'll be fine lol.
Old 10-19-13, 09:26 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Check out Castro Valley, Pleasanton , Livermore, San Bruno, San Mateo as well. Those are within the commute range you're looking at.

Quick Reply: Possible relocation to Bay Area, have questions about housing,car mods and weapons.