Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

1JZ or 2JZ and the sniffer test

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 11:13 PM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1JZ or 2JZ and the sniffer test

So i'm doing a little research on engine swaps and our "wonderful" smog laws. And I'm just wondering if you guys have any problems passing smog with a 1JZGTE or a 2JZGTE? I was reading up on some of the smog rules regarding engine swaps and it basically said unless its the same exact engine being dropped in, it has to be BAR certified. Also any problems with the visual check for smog?
Old 09-22-13, 10:13 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

1 jz will never pass legally. 1j's were never available in a US car. 2j's shouldn't be a problem to BAR if the engine came out of a US car of the same year or newer. And all the emissions equipment are on the motor that came from the donor car. Visual shouldn't be a problem with a BAR sticker
Old 09-22-13, 10:35 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You should go e85. I've heard/seen heavily modified turbo cars passing without cats and all other emission equipment.
Old 09-22-13, 01:29 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, 1j will never pass smog in CA as BAR is getting stricter this year on licensee compliance. I dont know how guys in SOCAL survive the mobile smogs honestly.

As for the sniffer, I don't imagine it will pass even with a cat, stock tune is so rich and there is no egr, your nox will probably be very high. Plus, if you have a 1J/2J, i assume you will be running bigger injectors and single turbo in no time....

Regarding the BAR sticker, If you want to legit swap a 2j, you need need to look for a usdm 2jz head, but I would recommend calling your local BAR ref center to see whats the requirement to get that sticker. As i recall, some center are very **** regarding every little part. Further, since you cannot buy used CAT, you will have to go to a good muffler shop and they will know what to get you to be in compliance.

In short, if you are looking for the cheapest way to swap a legit 2jz, my suggestion is probably getting a used usdm head, which pops up time to time, in SF and swap pistons on your GE block. USDM twins and intake mani are plentiful, getting the usdm head with all the EGR stuff might be a pain. I read that some guy tried to use an aristo head and tap the EGR port on it but failed to get the sticker...

In conclusion, to pass smog, just try to look for hookups, or if you want to buy a 1J SC, I got one for sale in norcal.
Old 09-22-13, 04:33 PM
SC510
Pole Position

So i'm assuming if i get a jdm 2JZ, i can transfer the parts from my current NA 2JZ. Or at least some correct? I got a 99 SC300 so they only 2JZ that i could get my hands to make it BAR compliant in terms of year would be jdm. Any consequences if throw 95 2JZ?
Old 09-22-13, 06:14 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So i'm assuming if i get a jdm 2JZ, i can transfer the parts from my current NA 2JZ. Or at least some correct? I got a 99 SC300 so they only 2JZ that i could get my hands to make it BAR compliant in terms of year would be jdm. Any consequences if throw 95 2JZ?
JDM 1j/2j don't have EGR equipment which is required to pass smog in CA. Not a smog expert but the EGR is to reduce NOX level, part of the smog measurement.

In short, it takes ridiculous amount of effort to make your swapped car BAR compliant unless you can find a USDM MKIV 2JZGTE, which is pretty hard to find.

For the 99 sc300 question, im not familiar with 2jge vvti. I know the nonvvti 2jzge share the same crank and rod with the GTE counter part. The GE block is same as GTE with the exception of the oil squirters. And of course, the GE pistons are different from the GTE as the GE has a higher compression.

If you want to swap your car, for simplicity sake, just go JDM 2jzgte. However, your car wont be legal.
Old 09-24-13, 05:16 PM
adl16v
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the NA head is different from a GTE head such as the manifolds bolt patterns so none of your NA needed parts wont align... You need to get it from a US spec GTE engine such as the cats, egr, MAF the ecu probably others
Old 09-24-13, 11:51 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You, my friend, are out of luck unless you have a smog hookup.

Your best bet is to ditch the '99, and get a 98 or older SC. Then find a USDM 93-98 Supra GTE setup to swap into your SC. This is the only way you'll get BAR to pass your GTE swapped SC.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-13, 08:14 AM
SC510
Pole Position

Sourcing a usdm 2JZ is going to be fairly difficult form what i've been reading. I figure i'll just g NA-T til I find one
Old 09-26-13, 02:53 PM
apsykes
Driver School Candidate

From being a smog tech student, for it to be a "legal" swap is:

Motor has to be from Same MFG. Toyota-> Lexus / Lexus->Toyota.
Also has to be same or newer year engine

But ive seen swaps from other mfgs like the typical LS1 -> FD Rx7... (But from what the next door classroom smog ref said was, ALL Emissions and Evap equip. has to be swapped over W/ The vehicle too.

I think the only way to get it to pass is It just has to be a same or newer Engine (USDM or JDM... no clue)
Old 09-30-13, 08:59 AM
SC510
Pole Position

How can they tell year? If I were to look at my engine and a 97 non vvt-i engine i wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Old 10-12-13, 10:07 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

ok, so to condense all of these posts.

To BAR an engine it must be from a same model year or newer vehicle w/ all the factory emission pieces. On top of this they will want verification that the engine was obtained in a legal fashion and is not stolen (VIN). (It doesn't need to come from the same manufacture). This rules out any USDM 2jz-gte swap for you as previously stated.

You CANNOT bar a USDM 2jz-gte head on a 2jz-ge block, it must be the complete engine or they wont do it as they check the vin.

There are also other factors such as you can't swap a Heavy Duty truck engine into a non-Heavy Duty truck but that doesn't exactly apply to this situation.

A vvti 2jz-ge has an extra bulge on the intake cam side, that's the main noticeable difference from a non-vvti 2jz-ge

VVTi

non VVTi