Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Is300 freak out

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 07:10 AM
Blackrain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is300 freak out

This just happen minutes ago. Drove home in my is300 (2001). Parked behind my sc430 4ft away (place in park) the drive way is level. Got out of the is300, unlock the sc430, neighbor walks by says hi and got in her car, and started. I'm looking in the sc430 for micro fiber rags to wash. About a minute since parked the is300. As I grab it and get out of sc430 my neighbor screaming the car is moving! I'm like wtf ! First thing came in my mind is300 can not hit my sc430! So I got in low in front of the is300 and try with all my might (280lbs 5'10, martial artist, lift weights) to push the is300 back. Split second I felt the car power, realize I'm gonna get crush between two lexus! I jump around to the driver side and reach in to slam on the brakes as it hits the sc430 in the rear! All this time my neighbor is standing in shock. I put the car in reverse then put it back in park and shut off the car.
I ask my neighbor even tho I saw her in my side eye view the whole time, did she went in my car and move the gear shifter? She said no! She started her car, then got out and saw my car moving by it self. She didn't see anyone jump in, nor did I. I understand first thing people are going to say "you left it in park". If so why didn't it moved way earlier? Especially when I got out -280lbs. Why didn't it moved when I got in the sc430 and started searching for my rag? It's a level surface. I'm still in disbelief. What happen? Can someone explain? Btw crazy stuff always happen to me.. is there an issue with is300 popping out of park into drive? Never has this ever happened before. Car is not modified what so ever.

Last edited by Blackrain; 07-22-13 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 04:20 PM
Blackrain
Driver School Candidate

Try to duplicate what happen,I can not. I left the car in drive step on the brake until no movement, and it just kept on moving ( if I left it in drive ). I'm am dumbfounded.
Old 07-22-13, 04:42 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

To go from Park to Drive, it would have to go through reverse and neutral... that is so unlikely that i would call it impossible. Each gear has a detent... im willing to bet you may have put it in neutral, on the edge of that detent, and then the detent pushed it back to Drive because it wasnt securely in neutral...
Old 07-22-13, 05:05 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackrain
Try to duplicate what happen,I can not. I left the car in drive step on the brake until no movement, and it just kept on moving ( if I left it in drive ). I'm am dumbfounded.
are you saying that you left the car in Drive, stepped on the brakes so that the car stopped moving and WITH the brakes applied, your car kept moving forward?

Its hard to see the parking pawl completely fail and allow the vehicle to be moved into gear.
Old 07-22-13, 11:08 PM
8ll8lack
Pole Position

Even if he left his car in netural. He wouldnt be able to pull the keys out of the ignition. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-22-13, 11:10 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 8ll8lack
Even if he left his car in netural. He wouldnt be able to pull the keys out of the ignition. Correct me if I am wrong.
He never said he took the keys out.. i gather he left the car running.
Old 07-22-13, 11:48 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Couple of flaw I found in your story. You said you parked your card 4ft away from your SC. The time that the car started moving and your neighbor notifying you should have closed the 4ft gap to probably 3ft, if it was moving at a very slow pace. Now you being what you said (280lbs 5'10, martial artist, lift weights), by the time you got out of the SC and between the car it should have been a even smaller gap. Question is how did you manage to fit and push while at the same time get back onto the driver seat. Point 2 is you never mentioned starting the car again to put it into reverse, so you must have never turned off the car in the first place. I always do it with my car when I want to warm it up, but always initiate the ebrake, didn't seem like you did that either.
Old 07-22-13, 11:51 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blackrain
This doesn't make sense either. You left it in drive and applied brake until it stopped moving, but when you let go of brake it starts moving again? Well if I understand correctly as long as you leave it in drive it'll move.
Old 07-23-13, 09:42 AM
Blackrain
Driver School Candidate

For certain I placed it in park. I understand that it had to go thur r n for d, so the only thing that I can assume was if I pulled up, stop and walk out of the car (and left it in drive). Well I've tried to do that and the car kept rolling. Now I can come up with 2 conclusions either the car magically put it in drive it self or something invisible placed it in drive. Remember I was searching for my micro fiber rag in my sc430, found it, then the is300 moved it self to rear end my sc430. When I jump in the is300 it was in drive! I only parked 4ft away. My neighbor witness this as well. - I left the car running- was just going to grab the microfiber and bounce.

Last edited by Blackrain; 07-23-13 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-23-13, 09:52 AM
Blackrain
Driver School Candidate

Trying to rule out any paranormal stuff. Because beside the tranny some how popping in drive and the shifter moving by itself I don't know what the beep happen?
Old 07-25-13, 04:26 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if its in park its not going anywhere. this isn't like a 1960 something car where u can shift without placing your foot on the brake. if your car went back into drive it would've crushed you because a car in Drive will pick up speed and not coast its way to you.
Old 07-25-13, 05:19 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking you put it in neutral then got out. Next time remember to put your e brake on.
Old 07-25-13, 09:51 PM
mrkim
Banned

ITS THE CURSE OF THE IS300!!!! or possible an evil ex girlfriend who cursed you
Old 08-01-13, 04:32 AM
Virulent
Driver School Candidate

You probably left it in drive and pulled the e-brake, that's why the car stopped moving. I guess eventually the engine overcame the e-brake and that's why the car started moving forward again, but slowly.
Old 08-01-13, 10:56 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Others had said it too.... You have to apply the brakes to go through reverse and into drive if you were in P (Park).

It's quite impossible to pop out of P and into D without stepping on the brakes. It's gate locked.

Your neighbor pulled a quick one on you. Maybe he's secretly trying to kill you. He ran into your car and shifted it to D then ran back out. Then he gave you a last second warning so that your primitive instincts would kick in to protect your other car.