Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

HIDs legal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 02:16 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HIDs legal?

hi, im from FL but my cousin from CA wants to put aftermarket HIDs on her car. Her car is currently in FL, so i can install it for her. She is just here till the end of the year, and will be going back to CA. i want to know if it is legal to run aftermarket HIDs in CA.
Old 08-02-12, 02:22 PM
xrsracer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of people here in Cali are running hids so I think she will be alright.
Old 08-02-12, 02:32 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

HID's are illegal on EVERY car that doesnt come equipped from factory with them. I just did a write up about this. Sure everyone has them, doesnt mean its legal. The halogen reflector bowls are totally different than HID reflector bowls. Halogen bowls make the HIDs glared like a mother effer causing them to blind oncoming traffic. Because HID's are much brighter, while halogen in a sense need the glare to illuminate the ground. Its illegal in ANY state. HID bowls are specially designed to work like a projector and point all glare downwards and actually create a cutoff as to not blind oncoming traffic,.

If someone is determined to have it at any cost, you can aim the bowls downward to decrease upward glare, however you will lose some distance in viewing. You'll still get upward glare, but it will be more residual rather than direct.

Theres actually a vehicle code for it, but it slipped my mind. It has to do with lighting modification OTHER than factory designation.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 08-02-12 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 02:37 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

V C Section 26101 (b)

(b) A person shall not use upon a vehicle, and a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway that has installed a device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of a lighting, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device complies with Section 26104.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26101.htm
Old 08-02-12, 02:46 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

ok let me rephrase my question.

i know it is illegal everywhere, but here in FL, cops are not strict on HIDs.

i know CA is pretty strict with mods on cars and stuff, so what i want to know is... "Will she have any problems with cops driving around in CA with 6k HIDS on." Will she have to switch back to her halogens for the yearly inspection?
Old 08-02-12, 03:09 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Fuzzie you will be fine. Just dont go over 6000k
Old 08-02-12, 03:41 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzie
ok let me rephrase my question.

i know it is illegal everywhere, but here in FL, cops are not strict on HIDs.

i know CA is pretty strict with mods on cars and stuff, so what i want to know is... "Will she have any problems with cops driving around in CA with 6k HIDS on." Will she have to switch back to her halogens for the yearly inspection?
We don't have yearly inspections in CA, so non-issue.

If the headlights are not out of alignment such that they don't point at the oncoming traffic or don't fully light up the interior of the cars in front, you are unlikely to get pulled over.

Pretty much what MR jokster suggested.
Old 08-02-12, 05:29 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Aftermarket HID's are illegal but who cares. Just don't **** off any cops. Going with non-purple/blue color will help deter cop's attention
Old 08-02-12, 05:34 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Years ago I had a friend simply install brighter halogen bulbs and he got pulled over because the cop thought he was driving with his hi-beams on. Doh!

Here in CA there is so much LED and HID on cars, people don't even notice unless it's super bright or a different color.
Old 08-02-12, 06:09 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

cool thanks for the info
Old 08-02-12, 08:46 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Cops just dont have the time and resources to stop less serious violations. I've only heard of fix it tickets for super blue and violet or bad setups that really do shine into oncoming. Speeding is illegal and at some point everyday i break that law. Not purposely it just happens with the flow of traffic.
Old 08-02-12, 11:21 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

cops here are strict! i got pulled over when my car was STOCK, only mod was 6K low + fogs.
Old 08-03-12, 01:44 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just dont drive like a douche and give them a reason to pull you over... and if you do get pulled over, dont give them attitude. Thats when they start adding all the petty infractions to your ticket.

Except if you're parking in downtown SF... make sure you have your front plate on.. meter maids love giving no front plate tickets.
Old 08-04-12, 09:04 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

in regards to color, just 2 weeks ago I had a friend get pulled over for having green hid's (in factory hid projectors) as well have I with purple in projectors. But color shouldnt be the question here, brightness will "**** off" a cop faster than color.

Its really a toss up and probably more towards the no with cops buggin. If the car is stock and not 'tricked out', she'll more likely be fine.
Old 08-04-12, 05:17 PM
lexury530
Driver

It depends on the city you're in because bigger cities have more to worry about than just citing people for lights. In my town they tried to sight me for impersonating a police officer in my sisters 2GS becuase the inner headlight night time running bulbs were barely baby blue. I think it all comes down to where you live and the local police and whether they'll make giving citations such as shown above a priority. Cops will be asses for no reason if they want. So play it safe.

Quick Reply: HIDs legal?