Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

***NorCal Certified*** FAANadix Charity Event @ EVHS - SATURDAY July 28

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 07:58 PM
GS Trilogy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Matt for taking the time and drove from SoCal to NorCal to help with a good cause. Congrats on winning Best in VIP Car
Old 07-29-12, 05:15 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dune! Thanks buddy!

Thank you so much, NorCal CL for your generous hospitality. It was an absolute pleasure meeting everyone! Till next time!
Old 07-29-12, 11:43 AM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

What exactly classifies a car as "VIP"? Airbags and curtains on any car and its automatically VIP?
Old 07-29-12, 11:52 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraristo
What exactly classifies a car as "VIP"? Airbags and curtains on any car and its automatically VIP?
pretty much... dont forget the tassles

According to WikiHOW.. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Car...-a-VIP%27s-Car LOL

Matt's CT pretty much got all the bases covered for VIP "style". Yea. it doesnt have 800hp.. but what do you expect.. its a hybrid.

Last edited by ISCjonny; 07-29-12 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-29-12, 11:55 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dude, my car isn't even a VIP platform. So I'm confused too. It's VIP-styled, maybe. But definitely not VIP. That's limited to a small number of platforms.
Old 07-29-12, 10:07 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

I guess show judges need to be educated on exactly what qualifies a car in the "VIP" class. Sure, my GS is on air and all the other crap.....but I don't consider it VIP at all and never will.
Old 07-30-12, 11:31 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraristo
I guess show judges need to be educated on exactly what qualifies a car in the "VIP" class. Sure, my GS is on air and all the other crap.....but I don't consider it VIP at all and never will.
VIP or Bippu class surely is different than "VIP STYLE". Briefly, VIP style is the USs take on Bippu by taking and using characteristics from the original Bippu cars in Japan and adding those characteristics and attributes to ones cars.

Id also like to share that many of our Japanese friends who fly down from Japan to attend local shows, like Hiro from KC Trading Company, say that they actually prefer the US's "VIP style" vs the Japanese one and also mentioned that Japan is now starting to do US Vip styled car.

SOURCE : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIP_style

Cars associated with VIP style usually have common characteristics, such as high end rims (usually broad faced designs) with low offsets that sit flush with the fender, exhausts that stick out past the rear bumper (although not so much emphasized these days), a full bodykit or lip kit, glossy paint and a lowered ride height....

As automotive enthusiasts began to do their own versions of VIP, everything from minivans like the Toyota Estima and Honda Odyssey[disambiguation needed], to keicars like the Suzuki Cappucino and Toyota bB have received similar modifications. United States enthusiasts use USDM equivalents...

VIP Style are typically large, expensive, rear-wheel drive sedans, though automotive enthusiasts use other cars like minivans and Kei cars....

There is also another forum that has various cars that are vip themed. http://vipstylecars.com

But again this is just my interpretation. I may be wrong aswell. But I do agree with you too Silas, my car is not a VIP car either. Sure its vip inspired, but i take it more as a cross between that tuner, and sporty style; but at the end of the day I could careless what category the car falls under because the car was built to my liking not someones unofficial guidelines.

Last edited by JoshIS408; 07-30-12 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-30-12, 11:38 AM
TrancEpimp
Lead Lap

so... who won best lexus and best VIP ??

and all other categories.
Old 07-30-12, 12:00 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ALL,
I can't tell you how much offline discussion I've had about the VIP award. Not just for this meet but all meets this past year. Good discussion here guys, keep it constructive and civil and no mod will step in.

Since I helped come up with the Award classes for this event, I know the next time I have an opportunity to give my input to an event I will ask if they can change the award name to either "VIP Styled" or "Tru VIP".

I think this would help everyone distinguish a lot better what the classification means.

Tru VIP = Lexus GS / LS models, Infinity Q / M models only

VIP Styled = Everything Else IS250, CT, Honda Accord, etc

NOTE: I may edit this post if corrections are needed, if brought to my attention, etc.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-30-12 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-30-12, 03:36 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
ALL,
I can't tell you how much offline discussion I've had about the VIP award. Not just for this meet but all meets this past year. Good discussion here guys, keep it constructive and civil and no mod will step in.

Since I helped come up with the Award classes for this event, I know the next time I have an opportunity to give my input to an event I will ask if they can change the award name to either "VIP Styled" or "Tru VIP".

I think this would help everyone distinguish a lot better what the classification means.

Tru VIP = Lexus GS / LS models, Infinity Q / M models only

VIP Styled = Everything Else IS250, CT, Honda Accord, etc

NOTE: I may edit this post if corrections are needed, if brought to my attention, etc.
I agree with Glen on this. Only the LS, GS, Infinity Q, M and a few more(only in Japan) are true VIP platform. Everything else (Lexus IS 250, CT, Infinity G, Maxima, mini van, etc) are VIP Style. VIP Style, Inspired, Theme are all the same things...it built like a VIP car but do not have the VIP platform car.

Note: I could be wrong but this is what I've been reading about on multiple forum since 2006.

Again, like Josh said, at the end of the day, if you like the car you built, that's all that matter. But, if you'er going to be awarded a trophy, it's best to compete in the right category.
Old 08-08-12, 11:36 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
VIP or Bippu class surely is different than "VIP STYLE". Briefly, VIP style is the USs take on Bippu by taking and using characteristics from the original Bippu cars in Japan and adding those characteristics and attributes to ones cars.

Id also like to share that many of our Japanese friends who fly down from Japan to attend local shows, like Hiro from KC Trading Company, say that they actually prefer the US's "VIP style" vs the Japanese one and also mentioned that Japan is now starting to do US Vip styled car.
just remember that in japan they don't really use BIPPU... i think it's more a made up thing here in the US or something... kinda like how JDM is over used... someone who knows a ton of japanese ppl prob made that up to mock the language and it stuck...maybe???

Originally Posted by Matt_RN
Dune! Thanks buddy!

Thank you so much, NorCal CL for your generous hospitality. It was an absolute pleasure meeting everyone! Till next time!
ur car is getting crazier and crazier everytime i see it!!! haha!!!

Last edited by HyperMKIV; 08-08-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 05:52 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
just remember that in japan they don't really use BIPPU... i think it's more a made up thing here in the US or something... kinda like how JDM is over used... someone who knows a ton of japanese ppl prob made that up to mock the language and it stuck...maybe???

ur car is getting crazier and crazier everytime i see it!!! haha!!!
aaaaah, my mistake

dont know but i think i may have had something to do with that (I am not saying that to brag, its kind of embarrassing - if i am wrong then that would be a GOOD thing)

The psuedo word "BIPPU" comes from a literal Katakana to Romaji conversion of the word ビップ which is how the Japanese write VIP (like on the covers of vipstyle or vipcar magazine).

The actuall characters are:

ビ - BI
ッ - (indicates next consonant is double)
プ - PU

Put it together and you have BIPPU. However the first time i explained this i didnt realise people would start saying it with all letters pronounced. In Japan, U's are almost silent, so when they say ビップ, they actually say it as BIPP. Recently Elpresidente informed me that Americans are now saying it as BIPPOOO, which sounds completely wrong and makes me regret ever translating the characters

And before ElPres jumps in again, there is another way of writing vip: ヴィップ. The character ヴ is now commonly used for V sounds. When this is read out though, Japanese people tend to say it as VWIPP.
http://www.vipstylecars.com/forums/s...uot-bippu-quot
Old 08-08-12, 09:26 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here a video from the show.

http://vimeo.com/misterpops/faanadix2012
Old 08-09-12, 10:11 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by obby
here a video from the show.

http://vimeo.com/misterpops/faanadix2012
Nice vid.

Wish it were longer.

Thanks for sharing
Old 08-09-12, 10:51 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Nice vid.

Wish it were longer.

Thanks for sharing
Bet you've been hearing that all your life Glen! HAHA just kidding

Video was sweet!

Quick Reply: ***NorCal Certified*** FAANadix Charity Event @ EVHS - SATURDAY July 28