Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Heads up: Earthquake Prediction

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 11:00 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads up: Earthquake Prediction

Just a heads up.. Better safe than sorry.

You can read the article here: http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/ca...erica-imminent

Youtube link if your too lazy to read: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQXDt...layer_embedded

NEIL CAVUTO, HOST: Boy oh, boy, just what Japan does not need. An imminent earthquake warning just issued for several regions of the country. On edge there, on edge here, because it really didn't start with Japan. Take a look at what experts are increasingly calling the so-called ring of fire that is encircling the entire Pacific Ocean. You remember Chile's massive earthquake about a year ago. Then we had that big one in New Zealand just last month. Then of course Japan.

If this clockwise trend continues, my next guest says North America looks to be on tap next. Don't laugh. Geologist Jim Berkland is worried. When he worries, you should worry too. Jim accurately predicted, get this, the 1989 so-called World Series earthquake four days before it shook the San Francisco Bay Area. And Jim says this month is of particular concern. Why, Jim?

JIM BERKLAND, GEOLOGIST: The month of October, March, and April are the three most devastating earthquakes in terms of damage in the San Francisco Bay Area in history. And we are having on the 19th of this month not only the full moon, but within an hour the closest approach of the moon to the earth until the year 2016. The next day is the equinoctial tides. So you're bringing together three of the maximum tide raising forces. We know about the ocean tides. But there is also an Earth tide. And there is a tide in the ground water. All of these help to release sudden, built up strain, and cause earthquakes.

CAVUTO: But that would seem to imply that we could be looking at a very imminent event in the United States within the next week or two? Is that right?

BERKLAND: Yes. My -- what I call a seismic window, this top seismic window in years is developing between the 19th and 26th of this month. And this was 7.0 monster and it says geologist had warned about it. And a week earlier, the they were talking about the tides, not to worry about the really tides coming up. I think there is worry here too.

CAVUTO: So let me just understand. You're a genius. I'm not. I want to follow your fine brain on this.

BERKLAND: Not a genius.

CAVUTO: What you're saying is that there is certain order to this, even though it doesn't appear like order? For a lot of folks, it just seems like random events. But you're saying there is a process unfolding here? For California --

BERKLAND: Absolutely.

CAVUTO: California, Oregon or whatever, would that mean? What type of quake or disturbance or disruption would that be?

BERKLAND: Well, if it was, one in the northwest, in the Cascadia Trench, like we had in 1700, that would be a nine magnitude quake. I'm not predicting that. But I'm saying we just had a massive fish kill. Maybe a million fish died in Redondo Beach. They had a massive fish sweep in Mexico. We just had a bunch of whales come in close to San Diego.

CAVUTO: What does that presage? When you have events like that, what does that generally mean? What's going on in the waters?

BERKLAND: Changes -- changes in the magnetic field that off then precede larger earthquakes. Most animals have the mineral magnetite in their bodies, including people. But it causes homing pigeons to enable them to get home. Just before big quakes, they often can't get home. There is the delay factor. So we look for those kinds of things.

Just before the World Series quake there was very unusual beaching of rare whales in the Ocean Beach, in San Francisco. Just after that, a equally rare pigmy sperm whale washed up at Santa Cruz, within about five miles of the epicenter of the World Series quake. That kind of beaching had never occurred before nor since. So we're looking for strange fish coming into from deepwater to the shallow water, wild animals coming into cities.

I used to just scoff at these kinds of things, because I was a mainstream geologist until I found out that earthquakes are fitting a pattern. The big earthquake in the Indian Ocean followed massive beachings of whales in Taiwan -- not Taiwan, but New Zealand and Australia and Tasmania. And then within couple of days, they had a 8.3 in south of New Zealand, and then came the 9.1 in the Indian Ocean, with the big tsunami, on the very day of the fool moon.

CAVUTO: Wow.

BERKLAND: The previous big quake and tsunami was in Alaska, which is a 9.2 magnitude event, on the day off the full moon, on the 27th of March.

CAVUTO: Jim, bottom line, we have a lot to watch. Believe me, you're track record compels us to watch it. Jim, thank you very much. I hope you're wrong, buddy. I really hope your wrong but your record --

BERKLAND: Especially at this time, world history, not good.

CAVUTO: All right, sir. Thank you very much. Jim Berkland in San Francisco, pretty good geologist.
Old 03-19-11, 09:17 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you wanted to scare me, you just did. There's no way to prepare for something this serious, so now what are we going to do besides worry?
Old 03-19-11, 11:31 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

go to vegas and live it up
Old 03-19-11, 12:18 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Somewhat scary. This guy is really good. Seriously some scary things going on associated with the world! I hope I'm not working the day it does happen!
Old 03-19-11, 02:30 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Just remember to save me first bro!
Old 03-19-11, 02:47 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what's the best place (in the house) to be in a big quake?
Old 03-19-11, 03:21 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It makes sense what he says about the fish and whales washing up....

not in the house but I think the best place to be in a big quake would be a grocery store. Everything is there. Food, water, batteries and flashlights, wood for heat, a little bit of fuel, first aids and medications, etc...
Old 03-19-11, 04:02 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Micaiah
If you wanted to scare me, you just did. There's no way to prepare for something this serious, so now what are we going to do besides worry?
Stock up on water. Have your emergency kit ready. Be sure to have a flashlight. There is really nothing we can do but be prepared.

I'm considering buying earthquake insurance on my home but my agent isn't open today.
Old 03-19-11, 04:27 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
So what's the best place (in the house) to be in a big quake?
Away from glass objects, book shelves, anything sharp, and heavy objects. You don't want to be cut up, crushed, or trapped from things falling over.

You want to stay near the strongest support structure of your house... some people believe it's between the door jams. But look around now and plan. It's better to find a safe zone now before an eq hits.

We have a hallway and there are multi beams running through it. It's the safest place for us.

But if you can make it out safely, then do that first.
Old 03-19-11, 04:46 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does this guy do palm readings too?

I look forward to posting in this thread two weeks from now after nothing has happened. That being said, always be prepared.
Old 03-19-11, 05:54 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

^^^

Agreed... It's impossible to predict earthquake.

I'm not too worried... it's also good to play a little safe. So wife and I took time to learn the gas shut-off locations.

I'm not worried about the earthquake... I'm sure the houses built after the 89 earthquake can withstand earthquakes better now.

I'm worried about what happens. When people lose their humanity, things will get chaotic. Ever watched the movie "The Road"... it happened after Katrina where people preyed upon the more helpless people.
Old 03-19-11, 07:59 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ That's why I have a shotgun and pistol. I recommend everyone have at least one firearm. All hell will break lose when the dollar loses its reserve currency status.
Old 03-19-11, 10:05 PM
MrKV
Rookie

Good luck to you guys on the west coast, California is overdue for a large scale quake... and unfortunately the death toll will make Japans look like nothing.
Old 03-19-11, 10:25 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

y2kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkay
Old 03-19-11, 10:43 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shadowman.... Newer houses today are built using what is called "lightweight construction." The construction industry has gotten rid of the "real" 2x4's and nails in the roof skeleton. They use what are called gusset plates. They bring in a pre made roof skeleton to speed up the building process. Instead of using nails the gussett plate in a 2"x4" metal plate joining two pieces of wood together. They are notorious for failing, especially in fires. The roof fails and collapses suddenly with no warning. This is because the small teeth on the plate penetrate the wood an 1/8 on an inch into the wood. It's good that you learned where your gas shut off is located. Many fire dept's teach citizens first aid, and safety procedures for free. In sf the organization is called NERT. Google that and you can find out about emergency preparedness. Some cities call it CERT( community Emergency Responce System). If the big one hits, the fire dept. won't be able to help very soon. This is why we train local citizens to mobilize to take care of their own homes and their neighborhoods as well.

Josh, I worked for Y2K.....We had a bunch of engines, trucks, ambulances out ready to roll.........Nothing happened!