Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Cheap shot this morning =(

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 11:45 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
"no contest" is pretty much the same as "I plead guilty".
Really. Huh. I got away with murder then. 70 in a 35. Got away with a little over $300 including reduced fine, traffic school fine, and traffic school cost. As well as keeping my record clean for insurance.
Old 01-07-11, 12:05 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I am 100% sure I did not commit the violation, I'll fight no matter what. I work in the public traffic engineering field for a long time and I've seen too many dumb cops and judges...

Back to this story if YOU are happy with the result it's the most important.
Old 01-07-11, 09:29 AM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Really. Huh. I got away with murder then. 70 in a 35. Got away with a little over $300 including reduced fine, traffic school fine, and traffic school cost. As well as keeping my record clean for insurance.
When you plead no contest, you're not saying you're guilty but you're accepting the punishment that a guilty plea carries. It may make the judge be more lenient. If you're innocent, you fight it and if you win you don't pay over $300, traffic school + cost. Pleading not guilty via written declaration, at least you have a chance and if they still find you guilty you can go to court and ask for leniency. Pleading no contest is just giving up right from the start.

Google it and educate yourself.
Old 01-07-11, 02:06 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Go straight down Kato road instead which parallels Dixon and make a left at the first light and you can avoid that intersection.
watch out for the motorcycle cop at that intersection though (when you turn right onto dixon landing)

i don't seem him as much these days but i'm sure when it starts warming up, he'll be back...
Old 01-07-11, 05:20 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Traffic Ticket Fines (Effective 01/06/2011)

VC 12814.6 $214 Failure to obey license provisions.

VC 14600(A) $214 Failure to notify DMV of address change within 10 days

Note: The fine may be reduced with valid proof of correction.

VC 16028(A) $796 Failure to provide evidence of financial responsibility (insurance)

Note: This fine may be reduced with proof of insurance on or after the violation date.

VC 21453(A) $436 Failure to stop at a red signal.

VC 22349 $214 Unsafe speed, 1 to 15 miles over the limit.

VC 22350 $328 Unsafe speed, 16 to 25 miles over the limit.

VC 22450 $214 Failure to stop at a stop sign.

VC 22454(A) $616 Passing a school bus with flashing red signals.

VC 23123(A) $148 Driving while using a wireless phone not hands free, first offense .

VC 23123(B) $256 Driving while using a wireless phone not hands free, each subsequent offense.

VC 23123.5 $148 Driving while using a wireless device to send, read or write text.

VC 23124 $148 Minor driving while using a wireless phone.

VC 22500 $976 Parking in a bus loading area.

VC 22507(A) $976 Violation of disabled parking provisions, first offense.

VC 22507(B) $1876 Violation of disabled parking provisions, second offense.

VC 26708 $178 Unlawful material on vehicle windows.

VC 27150 $178 Adequate muffler required.

VC 27315 $148 Mandatory use of seat belts.

VC 27360 $436 Mandatory use of passenger child restraints.

Note: This fine may be reduced by completing a court authorized child seat diversion program .

VC 27400 $178 Headsets or Earplugs covering both ears.(IPhone people...please buy a bluetooth)

VC 27803 $178 Violation of motorcycle safety helmet requirements.

VC 34506 $616 Commercial Driver - Log book violation.

VC 4000 $256 No evidence of current registration.

VC 4159 $178 Notify DMV of change of address within 10 days.

VC 5200 $178 Proper display of license plates.

VC 9400 $178 Commercial weight fees due.
Old 01-07-11, 06:53 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ I like how you put the things CL members are most likely to get busted for in red.
Old 01-07-11, 09:32 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Have not tried these yet. But might be worth looking into...

http://www.ticketkick.com/
http://www.ticketassassin.com/fight.html
Old 01-07-11, 11:37 PM
Micaiah

When you plead no contest, you're not saying you're guilty but you're accepting the punishment that a guilty plea carries. It may make the judge be more lenient. If you're innocent, you fight it and if you win you don't pay over $300, traffic school + cost. Pleading not guilty via written declaration, at least you have a chance and if they still find you guilty you can go to court and ask for leniency. Pleading no contest is just giving up right from the start.

Google it and educate yourself.
Wow. That's a little harsh. I apologize if I'm not as educated as you. Not all of us are as fortunate.

You must work for the court or for the traffic division, am I right?

So please help me out here? By pleading no contest, I've accepted the punishment that a guilty plea carries. So in my case it would have been easier and faster to plead guilty? Why isn't the ticket on my driving record? Why aren't I paying more for my insurance? Why was the fine so low? Wasn't it that if you are going 15mph over the limit the fine jumps and it's mandatory court and/or suspension of license?

I tried to google it (my concern) but it rendered no conclusions.

Last edited by Micaiah; 01-07-11 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-07-11, 11:39 PM
Micaiah

Originally Posted by brociouz
^ I like how you put the things CL members are most likely to get busted for in red.
+1 Quang you are funny.
Old 01-08-11, 03:00 AM
Damage
Lead Lap

Wow. That's a little harsh. I apologize if I'm not as educated as you. Not all of us are as fortunate.

You must work for the court or for the traffic division, am I right?

So please help me out here? By pleading no contest, I've accepted the punishment that a guilty plea carries. So in my case it would have been easier and faster to plead guilty? Why isn't the ticket on my driving record? Why aren't I paying more for my insurance? Why was the fine so low? Wasn't it that if you are going 15mph over the limit the fine jumps and it's mandatory court and/or suspension of license?

LOL, are you serious?? Again, google it and educate yourself unless you really do like paying fines and doing traffic school everytime someone pulls you over.

You should fight every ticket. There's no reason not to. That's the point you fail to miss. I also don't work for the court. This is through both self education (which i'm trying to recommend to you) and through attorney advice. If you fight and lose, you can still ask for traffic school, a lesser fine, and no points.

Last edited by Damage; 01-08-11 at 03:10 AM. Reason: trying to help an idiot out
Old 01-08-11, 08:18 AM
Micaiah

I appreciate you giving me this advice, I really do. Please don't feel that I'm challenging you, I'm just trying to learn.

It's just that the judge who saw all of us that day had told us that if we plead not guilty, we would be forfeiting our chance for traffic school and/or the reduced fine. He said that if we are found guilty (he would have the issuing officer present) then there would be no break at all.

That's why I'm confused. He says one thing but you advise another.

By the way, as I said earlier, I googled and did not come up with answers to these questions and hoping that you would know:

I got this ticket in June and before that my last ticket was in the 80s. I was guilty of the speeding, plain and simple. I won't lie to the courts and say I'm innocent because I wasn't. I usually drive like an old lady (because I am) so I am hoping you understand why the discrepancy is splitting me.

In regards to googling, I'll just wait a couple of hours and call a few of my relatives who will be able to answer any questions I might have. They do work for the Judicial courts system in SF as well as the Traffic Division (the infamous "Room 101") and City Hall.

To Shadowman,

I apologize if I'm giving you the wrong advise to plead no contest, I was just giving you MY experience in doing such. Good luck with your case, I'd like to hear of the results.

Last edited by Micaiah; 01-08-11 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-08-11, 04:58 PM
Micaiah

And Damage? Thank you for editing your post for reasons of "trying to help an idiot out" - I know that was directed at me because of our interchange here, but calling names is really not necessary. I already told you that I'm not as educated as you are and rubbing that fact in my face publicly shows a lot about what empathy is lacking within you.

I won't expect any answers to my questions from you any longer, I've decided that you're just not they type that would help someone who is not as bright as you in an honest and sincere way.

Last edited by Micaiah; 01-08-11 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 12:45 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.....It's just that the judge who saw all of us that day had told us that if we plead not guilty, we would be forfeiting our chance for traffic school and/or the reduced fine. He said that if we are found guilty (he would have the issuing officer present) then there would be no break at all.

That's why I'm confused. He says one thing but you advise another.

I got this ticket in June and before that my last ticket was in the 80s. I was guilty of the speeding, plain and simple. I won't lie to the courts and say I'm innocent because I wasn't....
I think the judge is right. You plea not guilty you forfeit the right to have the reduced fine and traffic school. But each judge is so different…

As for your speeding, even it is plain and simple you were over the posted speed limit you are not necessary guilty. You can accept the ticket and pay the fine but you can also request for Public Info first before you plea guilty. I do work for public sector in traffic engineering field so if the jurisdiction failed to perform the traffic and engineering survey (so called the speed survey) within certain years then you are not guilty for speeding. I am currently fighting a speeding ticket with Napa Court and I am not going to let them make free money because the lazy *** in Caltrans failed to perform the survey per CVC requirement.
Old 02-01-11, 08:20 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

the cop was back out there a few minutes ago!!!
Old 02-01-11, 11:02 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

plea not guilty then the day of the court date get a hot sexy friend thats a girl to distract the cop for an hour so he will not show up lol....... but seriously plea no contest with explanation or guily with explanation and explain how you got the ticked as fast as possible. and then if he still gives you the ticket ask for reduction of fee. good luck.

Quick Reply: Cheap shot this morning =(