Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Air Suspension installation shops

Old 02-15-12, 09:08 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
You're still not getting it. I will copy and paste so that you can read again.

"I was referred from the reputable vendor on here to a shop in norcal who has done ½ dozen UAS installs for CL members alone, they quoted me $500. As a paying customer, its always good to have some type of competitive analysis prior to getting work done, which is why I made this post with a $400 benchmark."

I don't know how to be much more clear than this.
i don't think you're getting it

tell you what, why don't you go get them installed for $500 and see how you like it

if you do like it then AWESOME!

but if you don't, then maybe you will understand what a whole bunch of us senior members are trying to tell you

Install shouldn't cost more than $400, but does anybody know of a reputable shop to get it done at? I know of a couple, but most are smokin crack quoting me at 7-800......I'll take a couple days and do it myself for that price.
that statement with the whole "smoking crack" thing just makes all believe you think the other shops are trying to rip you off when in reality this is NOT just a simple coilover install

Last edited by HyperMKIV; 02-15-12 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-15-12, 09:08 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford a lexus and going air suspension you should at least be able to afford the installation. I don't think its the idea of whether its difficult to run the lines and etc, I think its probably time consuming to do a clean install therefore, more labor time which means higher labor cost compared to coilovers
Old 02-15-12, 09:18 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's where you aren't getting it:

I have a quote for 500, from a reputable shop, who does the installation the correct way just as all of you are describing. I was referred to this place from a reputable vendor here on CL, who has referred 6 other customers on CL alone to do installs. Why would I pay 7-800 for the same job? I don't give handouts, but if you guys enjoy doing so, go for it.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but 2 years years doesn't exactly make you a "senior".

Back to the original point of this post (before it was driven off topic):
If any reputable shops want to compete for business, let me know. Otherwise you can all thread crap elsewhere.
Old 02-15-12, 09:35 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's where you aren't getting it:

I have a quote for 500, from a reputable shop, who does the installation the correct way just as all of you are describing. I was referred to this place from a reputable vendor here on CL, who has referred 6 other customers on CL alone to do installs. Why would I pay 7-800 for the same job? I don't give handouts, but if you guys enjoy doing so, go for it.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but 2 years years doesn't exactly make you a "senior".

Back to the original point of this post (before it was driven off topic):
If any reputable shops want to compete for business, let me know. Otherwise you can all thread crap elsewhere.
look, we're not trying to fight with you
at the end of the day it's your money and you do what you want with it
we're giving our opinions and you can take it anyway you want. your choice.

the community here is pretty tight knit and we try to help each other out. not argue with each other.

and yes, 2 years does make me a senior member over you. go look up the definition of senior

and good luck with the install. i was only trying to help. so i'll stop "threading crap" here
Old 02-15-12, 09:51 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

I have many peers in this tight knit community as well, many of which know you personally, and I look forward to one day meeting the "senior" Cary.

Until then, best wishes to you.
Old 02-15-12, 10:22 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 02-15-12, 10:28 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

You get what you pay for. $400 is insanely cheap for a clean/proper air suspension install. Id be really cautious if a shop agreed to do it at that price. The time involved in insane. Even at a conservative shop rate of $75/hour, id guess at least 10 labor hours on a good install. Do the math. $400 gets you 5.3 hours... half the labor time gets you half the quality.
Old 02-15-12, 10:40 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

I hear you on the hours. But I'd never pay $75 an hour for anybody to work on my car for basic, but time consuming stuff like this. $75 an hour is 156k per year.....

Again, I REALLY wanted to make this thread for anybody who wanted, or knew of anybody good that would want to compete for business.

In any case, I'll be sure to shoot some pictures of the install if I decide to go for the $500 one for all to see. I will post them in this thread in approx one month or so.
Old 02-15-12, 10:45 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I hear you on the hours. But I'd never pay $75 an hour for anybody to work on my car for basic, but time consuming stuff like this. $75 an hour is 156k per year.....

Again, I REALLY wanted to make this thread for anybody who wanted, or knew of anybody good that would want to compete for business.

In any case, I'll be sure to shoot some pictures of the install if I decide to go for the $500 one for all to see. I will post them in this thread in approx one month or so.
You have to understand that most shops that charge $75/hour (if you can find one that cheap) have overhead, insurance, building costs, etc to pay. If you're looking for someone to do this as a side job (as one person in their garage), then thats different. But if youre taking it to a shop, dont expect to get it that cheap. Most dealers charge upwards of $150/hour, while the techs may get paid $20-30/hour. Independant shops are probably in the $75-100/hour range, with techs making about the same due to the less overhead of a smaller shop. Either way, youre right to do your research prior to paying up, but i think your goals are unrealistic.
Old 02-15-12, 10:52 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for being one of the few that make sense. I hear you on the shop fee of $75, this is hardly my first tango in the modified car world. The goal is to find somebody knowledgable that has their own shop, or does do it on the side.

I have a tech that works at benz and services my E55 AT THE DEALER for pennies on the dollar. There are good deals to be found, you just have to sift through the BS pricing to find them. As a customer I'm not interested in paying for a shops overhead.
Old 02-15-12, 10:55 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

A gross total of $156 K a year does sound like alot, but you need to remember that there isnt 1 person working in the shop. When you think about it, say you have 3 workers, that becomes 52k a year per person before taxes.

I believe everyone in this thread has contributed there opinion and has also suggested some shops. Most of the shops I know personally do not compete for installation business. It is not like the sale of aftermarket auto parts where everyone undercuts each other just to get a sale and make slim to no profit. Installation requires labor, and if shops are going to be losing money on the job, they wont take it.

Again GL with your install and post pictures once completed.

Interested to see the final product.

- subscribed -
Old 02-15-12, 12:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I appreciate all of your input but at the end of the day you are all missing the point. I was referred from the reputable vendor on here to a shop in norcal who has done ½ dozen UAS installs for CL members alone, they quoted me $500. As a paying customer, its always good to have some type of competitive analysis prior to getting work done, which is why I made this post with a $400 benchmark. I got this pricepoint being that I know a coilover install is not hard on this car (rear seat removal and all), and have paid $250 to have it installed, and done it myself as well.

Seems simple to me, am I missing something?

Appreciate your input all the way from "L(F)A".
You're welcome.

Just because one hasn't posted much but has been on here 2 years senior doesn't mean he is not credible. Some people have more time than others to post up information on the forums. Some choose to spread the goodwill outside the forums. HyperMKIV has been a huge asset to the whole Lexus community in NorCal, SoCal and Hawaii. It's just not obvious to a certain few who choose to lurk and never make the initiative to meet the community in person.

Perhaps you are better off doing the install yourself and put $400 in your pocket. $500 is a steal for a simple air bag install. We're being very reasonable with you and your figure. Like others have already mentioned, we're all here to help each other out and give guidance with our expertise and experience. We're not here to BS with our answers either, you're talking to people who have actually done the research beforehand.
Old 02-15-12, 12:28 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Flipside, once again we are getting off topic. Can you please show me where I discredited HYPERMKIV because of lack of posts? I'm not here to blow some up anybody's *** and say how great they are and whatnot. Nor do I have the time to make 18,000 posts in my busy work day.

The only reason I continue to respond is to keep this thread on topic and keep "a certain few" from gathering into some type of Tag Team against the OP.

Objective of the thread as articulated MULTIPLE times: As a paying customer I am attempting to do my due diligence and get some type of competitive analysis prior to pulling the trigger. Opinions that my shop of reference (which I got from THIS forum) isn't competent is COMPLETELY irrelevant to me.

You guys are funny.
Old 02-15-12, 12:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Flipside, once again we are getting off topic. Can you please show me where I discredited HYPERMKIV because of lack of posts? I'm not here to blow some up anybody's *** and say how great they are and whatnot. Nor do I have the time to make 18,000 posts in my busy work day.

The only reason I continue to respond is to keep this thread on topic and keep "a certain few" from gathering into some type of Tag Team against the OP.

Objective of the thread as articulated MULTIPLE times: As a paying customer I am attempting to do my due diligence and get some type of competitive analysis prior to pulling the trigger. Opinions that my shop of reference (which I got from THIS forum) isn't competent is COMPLETELY irrelevant to me.

You guys are funny.
Glad we can give you some amusement on your very busy work schedule. I'm on my lunch break so I have plenty of time to respond. There's no tag team here against anyone, majority have already said that $400 is unreasonable, plain and simple. It's not very hard to figure out by the responses you have gotten but I think you're looking for some hope that someone will point you in the right direction. Its okay to be frugal, but if your funds are limited, its probably not a good idea to spend money on an air bag system.
Old 02-15-12, 12:54 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

You're missing the point again flipside so I'll try one more time to copy and paste:

"Objective of the thread as articulated MULTIPLE times: As a paying customer I am attempting to do my due diligence and get some type of competitive analysis prior to pulling the trigger. Opinions that my shop of reference (which I got from THIS forum) isn't competent is COMPLETELY irrelevant to me."

I gathered far earlier in the thread that you all beleive $500 is a good deal. Thank you for that. Any opinion beyond that is not adding value to me, and considered by many "Thread Crapping".

And thank you for the amusement, I am glad that these discussions are something that you allocate time during your lunch for.

Last edited by Jasoneo5; 02-15-12 at 12:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Suspension installation shops