Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Parking Violation in SF without actually parking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 02:44 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Violation in SF without actually parking?

So what happened was that I was on the 1000 block of Grant Ave (Chinatown). I drop my wife off and am waiting for a parking spot. Grant Ave has parking on the left side of the street, but the right side is a tow-away zone. A person pulls behind me and honks, not having common sense to drive around me. So I pull over to the right side of the road to let him by and am still waiting for the parking spot to free up. About 15 seconds later, a cop pulls behind me and blares his horn (basically telling me to move). So I circle around the block and find another spot.

I get a ticket in the mail for a parking violation, even though I never parked and I never left my car. The officer didn't give me a ticket either. Is that allowed?

I plan on contesting this ticket.
Old 07-01-10, 03:08 PM
VIP_Dreamz
Lead Lap

yeah contest the ticket. cops in sf are a-holes. I got a ticket for running a stop sign in December 09. damn cop said I didn't fully stop when I did. damn tree was blocking the stop sign. on Fulton near the beach. Received a letter in the mail, a few months letter saying the state owes me a refund because they reviewed my letter. stupid cops.
Old 07-02-10, 01:09 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CVC does not allow a parking ticket to be mailed. You will win the case if you contest but do prepare it before you go to the court.
Old 07-02-10, 01:17 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP_Dreamz
yeah contest the ticket. cops in sf are a-holes. I got a ticket for running a stop sign in December 09. damn cop said I didn't fully stop when I did. damn tree was blocking the stop sign. on Fulton near the beach. Received a letter in the mail, a few months letter saying the state owes me a refund because they reviewed my letter. stupid cops.
You said you you fully stopped, but contested that you didnt see the stop sign do to the tree? So which was it? Did you run it cause you didnt see a stop sign and got a ticket? Or did you fully stop and the cop said you didnt?
Old 07-05-10, 02:26 PM
KWang
Pole Position

cops in SF are bigger douches than usual.. because SF is goddam poor and they are tryna make money by any means
Old 07-06-10, 08:27 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

what's the violation (CVC code) and how much is the ticket?
Old 07-06-10, 11:51 AM
melski415
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KWang
cops in SF are bigger douches than usual.. because SF is goddam poor and they are tryna make money by any means
You got that right. I just got a ticket for my front tints last week. They also tried to catch me by saying i was on the phone(what liars). They said they saw my hand to my ear(it wasn't). Cops here try to bust you for anything and everything, even if you're not doing anything.
Old 07-08-10, 08:18 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kickin8
what's the violation (CVC code) and how much is the ticket?
Where is the CVC code? I see the "violation" says: Towaway Zone - Downt
Date/Section: 3/13/10 T32A.1
Old 09-27-10, 10:16 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Just a quick update: I contested it and haven't heard back.
Old 09-27-10, 11:28 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by melski415
You got that right. I just got a ticket for my front tints last week. They also tried to catch me by saying i was on the phone(what liars). They said they saw my hand to my ear(it wasn't). Cops here try to bust you for anything and everything, even if you're not doing anything.
you do realize there is a law for having tinted windows yes? i do agree that some cops are ridiculous but complaining about receiving a ticket when you're in clear violation is just foolish. cops are doing their job which do include handing out tickets for the little things.

To OP you should have no prob winning the case, best of luck to you.
Old 09-27-10, 07:37 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Parking enforcement is crazy in SF. I'd blast around with my obnoxiously loud exhaust with 20% tint all around and they won't even bat an eye lash, but as soon as a meter maid sees you running to your car to drop a quarter, they have a citation printed out right where to get there.
Old 09-27-10, 07:40 PM
VIP_Dreamz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
You said you you fully stopped, but contested that you didnt see the stop sign do to the tree? So which was it? Did you run it cause you didnt see a stop sign and got a ticket? Or did you fully stop and the cop said you didnt?
I did stop, but a little pass the line. damn tree was fully blocking the stop sign. the cop said I ran the stop sign. SO I contested the ticket.
Old 09-27-10, 09:05 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2turbo1sup
Parking enforcement is crazy in SF. I'd blast around with my obnoxiously loud exhaust with 20% tint all around and they won't even bat an eye lash, but as soon as a meter maid sees you running to your car to drop a quarter, they have a citation printed out right where to get there.
Two of my friends have received a "no front plate" citation while parked in SF.
Old 09-27-10, 09:45 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ That's ridiculous. Maybe I should get out of those motorized front plates.
Old 09-27-10, 10:01 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I almost got one for no front plate as well. Just parked on Howard st. It wasn't till I flashed the badge and spoke nicely to him that he went about his way. Years ago I got the same ticket for no front plate in Berkeley. Brian.....no!

Quick Reply: Parking Violation in SF without actually parking?