Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Local Chapters and Regional Forums > Northern California Lexus Club
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bye bye front window tints

Old 06-15-10, 07:55 AM   #16
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

What's 40% over the legal limit supposed to mean? All front window tint added is illegl in CA.

I use 35% all around, no problems.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 06-15-10, 09:08 AM   #17
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

40% over means that his tint was 30%. Legal is 70%, so he is 40% over.

Loves but regrets stumbling upon CL.
svntwosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 10:05 AM   #18
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator
Trader Score: (65)

brocious brocious brocious brociouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS-SV View Post
What's 40% over the legal limit supposed to mean? All front window tint added is illegl in CA.

I use 35% all around, no problems.
Up to 70% is actually legal last time I checked, but that's basically transparent anyway.

I always figured if I got pulled over I'd say something like: "I read the law and it said 70% was the maximum, so I got 30% tint. If it was illegal why didn't my shop tell me?" Yeah, I doubt it'll work, but it's kind of a good excuse.

PAST: 2006 IS350 - Tungsten Pearl/Black, Luxury Package, Navigation, Mark Levinson

F-Sport | Invidia | BC Racing | StopTech | Volk Racing | Rays Engineering | Hankook | SE Tuned | GFX | Blitz | Kazz-Sports | JL Audio | Image Dynamics | VaisTech | Prestigious Society | Stinger | Garax | DDM Tuning | V-LEDS | Oznium
Full List of IS350 Modifications
brociouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 10:21 AM   #19
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brociouz View Post
Up to 70% is actually legal last time I checked, but that's basically transparent anyway.

I always figured if I got pulled over I'd say something like: "I read the law and it said 70% was the maximum, so I got 30% tint. If it was illegal why didn't my shop tell me?" Yeah, I doubt it'll work, but it's kind of a good excuse.
I don't think the vehicle code spells it out that way (70% or whatever), although the cops using meters probably interpret it that way.

The shops around here in northern CA expect the buyers to know the risk of illegal front tint, but will gladly do any tint as requested by the customer. Yes, lack of knowledge about the legality of tint (or any law) is not a good excuse.

For me 35% is fine on all windows, but I do have a cop in the family just in case.

Another thing to watch for is having 15% tint on the other 3 windows, it's a red flag to cops because it's limo dark and often obscures the 3rd brake light.

Last edited by IS-SV; 06-15-10 at 12:20 PM..
IS-SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 12:16 PM   #20
JustInGS3
Lead Lap

I had a problem with my front window tint, but I had my boy whos a cop just sign it for me and I just payed $25. it's good to know people who are cops
JustInGS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 12:53 PM   #21
nitrotang
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)

Is the $25 a mandatory "penalty fee" for having your window tinted? And can I befriend your son so I can get my ticket signed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInGS3 View Post
I had a problem with my front window tint, but I had my boy whos a cop just sign it for me and I just payed $25. it's good to know people who are cops

2006 IS250 AWD - Obsidian Black

Joe-Z intake | M2 exhaust w/ resonator delete | H&R springs | Oem.thing roof spoiler | XenonDepot 5000K | Yellow fog overlay | AeroTect redout | Carbon fiber interior trim | Blacked-out emblems & rims | LED interior and puddle
nitrotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 02:52 PM   #22
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrotang View Post
Is the $25 a mandatory "penalty fee" for having your window tinted? And can I befriend your son so I can get my ticket signed?
It's more of an administrative fee to cover the paper-pushing, not a penalty or fee for conviction or admission of guilt.

You will not find anybody here to connect you up with cops. (the information is confidential and not shared)

The point here is that these are relationships/friendships that are worth maintaining as individuals, works for me too.
Old 06-16-10, 09:25 AM   #23
nitrotang
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)

Aww shucks, haha. I've never had any cop friends nor am I related to any cops in the family. Can we be friends?

Quote:
You will not find anybody here to connect you up with cops. (the information is confidential and not shared)

The point here is that these are relationships/friendships that are worth maintaining as individuals, works for me too.

2006 IS250 AWD - Obsidian Black

Joe-Z intake | M2 exhaust w/ resonator delete | H&R springs | Oem.thing roof spoiler | XenonDepot 5000K | Yellow fog overlay | AeroTect redout | Carbon fiber interior trim | Blacked-out emblems & rims | LED interior and puddle
nitrotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 10:05 AM   #24
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrotang View Post
Aww shucks, haha. I've never had any cop friends nor am I related to any cops in the family. Can we be friends?
Anything is possible, expand your horizons.

Hopefully your family has people working in many useful professions too.
Old 06-19-10, 07:48 PM   #25
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ive removed my own tint b4

theres a type of spray out there that makes removal very easy along with a razor blade
i bought mine back in canada, sorry dont know where to buy it here in Cali

01 GS300 Stock Navigation + back-up camera tapped into NAV brain
10" ADS Subwoofer (sealed setup) + Alpine 250W Amp (old alpine)
Odometer: 88,120 miles
UberNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 09:12 PM   #26
enrikito
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (4)

bringing this thread back from the dead...

so i got another window tint ticket yesterday. fail. second time ever with my current car.
this was in fremont and just after getting my car service done.

i have 30% in the rear, and 35% in the front...
white car, black interior and cloudy day somehow makes the tint look darker...

anyways... officer asked me if i've been cited before for the tint, i say yes but was almost two years ago. i paid a big fine and moved on...

he then asks if i was advised that if i was caught again it'd be considered a moving violation... - moving violation for window tint?

writes me a ticket: for tinted front windows, non-correctable and also notes: "advised 24004 VC - must remove tint before operating vehicle"

24004 VC says i can't drive my car until i remove my tints... vehicle is in an unsafe condition

i've being reading a lot of stuff online on the subject and i'm getting paranoic...

is removing my window tint a must do right now-right now? or am i just being paranoid?
Old 12-21-10, 09:33 PM   #27
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^In what town is that happening?
Old 12-21-10, 09:40 PM   #28
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ Any chance the name of the office was Rosetti?

PAST: 2006 IS350 - Tungsten Pearl/Black, Luxury Package, Navigation, Mark Levinson

F-Sport | Invidia | BC Racing | StopTech | Volk Racing | Rays Engineering | Hankook | SE Tuned | GFX | Blitz | Kazz-Sports | JL Audio | Image Dynamics | VaisTech | Prestigious Society | Stinger | Garax | DDM Tuning | V-LEDS | Oznium
Old 12-21-10, 09:47 PM   #29
enrikito
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (4)

Quote:
^^In what town is that happening?
this was in fremont auto mall area...

i didn't do anything wrong... just happens that my daily drive is a modded car with relatively dark tints

Quote:
Originally Posted by brociouz View Post
^ Any chance the name of the office was Rosetti?
i didn't check his name... his signature on the ticket starts with a "C"

Last edited by enrikito; 12-21-10 at 09:51 PM..
enrikito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 09:55 PM   #30
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ Ah, well Fremont is notorious for having the most **** cops around. Sucks you have to drive through there. I would probably just play it safe and remove the tint.

Old 12-21-10, 09:55 PM

Tags
california, car, chicago, ctx, front, illegal, laws, legal, lexus, llumar, northern, pics, remove, stock, tint, tints, window, windows