Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

blackout headlight housing (bay area, ca)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 09:30 PM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question blackout headlight housing (bay area, ca)

UPDATE: Got my headlight housing blacked out, and thanks to the recommendation from whitehorse I am very satisfied with my decision of going to David over at TunedParts.

Here's quick recap of my experience and a couple answers to some of your questions:
First I arrived on a rainy Sunday morning, with my dropped is250 they took off my bumper in 20 minutes without a jack or a piece of wood, could've done it with their eyes closed. Within an hour I got a call from David, he already had the headlight opened and just called to confirm exactly what I want, great customer service letting me know what was going on with my lights. Normally, he has a turn around time of 1-2 days max. However, because I went to go get it done when the weather was awful and raining for two days straight it caused one day lag on the drying time. My lights were done on Wednesday. Now let me put this into perspective for you, they took off my bumper and I dropped off my bumper to get the license holes patched and painted over at Apex in downtown san jose. My bumper wasn't done until Friday afternoon. David was done with my lights in half the time it took to paint my bumper, and he took care of all the installation. From what I've heard from everyone on the forums and other shops I inquired in about headlight housing painting, it is a very meticulous, risky, and definitely not a DIY, with so many things that need to be done to ensure quality work. I found it amazing that he was done before my bumper was done being painted. I brought my bumper back and he put it on for me right there on the spot with no problems. Call for pricing.

David has over 8 years of experience modifying Lexus, I highly recommend David over at TunedParts to ensure that your headlight housing is done the right way and in a timely manner. No bs, just straight up quality work done by legit guys. They're located on the border of San Jose and Milpitas, CA. They also take jobs where you ship your lights to them. Definitely hit him up if you're trying to get this done.

David @ TunedParts
408-667-3283

Here's some pics, sorry about the bad quality, I only have a cameraphone haha

and

Last edited by IS250Kevin; 05-17-10 at 12:48 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-02-10, 09:47 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This should be moved to the NorCal regional forum. You could try PMing s4play (Rick), who has a shop called EuroBoutique in (I think) Fremont. You could also try PMing Tchan1, he's a lighting guru and might be able to help you.
Old 05-03-10, 10:11 PM
mou
Pole Position

you can try asking David from TunedParts. He's done my headlights and fogs so far, and they turned out great. I believe he has experience working with ISx50 lights too.

http://my.is/forums/f201/tunedparts-...nstall-402074/
Old 05-03-10, 11:32 PM
LexHes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funnny.. I was thinking of doing the same thing today. Thanks for those references.
Old 05-03-10, 11:47 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

ahh too bad you're not in socal :\ tommy at musicbox does the best job blacking out the housings and then re-sealing them
Old 05-03-10, 11:50 PM
fr0st
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aliu603
ahh too bad you're not in socal :\ tommy at musicbox does the best job blacking out the housings and then re-sealing them

dang tommy does everything. does he do retros too?
Old 05-03-10, 11:56 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

mmmm i'm not too sure, but if there was anyone i know that could do retros, it would definitely be tommy.
Old 05-07-10, 11:24 AM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

thanks guys i'm getting quotes for all this stuff now. eurobotique says $450, and i'd have to have my bumper removed. that's a little steep considering javylsu just sold his whole headlight setup with painted housing for 200 bucks., i'm gonna call tuned parts in a bit and i'll let you guys know what they say. thanks for the references guys
Old 05-07-10, 11:25 AM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexHes
Funnny.. I was thinking of doing the same thing today. Thanks for those references.
let's mod mang
Old 05-10-10, 09:28 PM
mou
Pole Position

I saw your car a few minutes ago Kevin, it looks freakin sick
Old 05-11-10, 01:23 PM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whitehorse
I saw your car a few minutes ago Kevin, it looks freakin sick
thanks man. i haven't even seen it yet since i dropped it off. where did you see it, at david's?
Old 05-11-10, 02:50 PM
mou
Pole Position

yup, I came by to rent a set of lights. and were your wheels powdercoated?
Old 05-11-10, 05:43 PM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whitehorse
yup, I came by to rent a set of lights. and were your wheels powdercoated?
yesssirrr. and thanks for the recommendation, way legit.
Old 05-14-10, 10:32 AM
intrinsic
Pole Position

how much does he charge and how long does it take? i have been looking to do this for a while but too scared to pull the trigger.
Old 05-14-10, 10:42 AM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by intrinsic
how much does he charge and how long does it take? i have been looking to do this for a while but too scared to pull the trigger.
i will update the first post of this thread with pics and everything. i guarentee you will get this done after my post.

Quick Reply: blackout headlight housing (bay area, ca)