Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Smart key reprogramming in the Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 10:05 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smart key reprogramming in the Bay Area?

Anyone know which dealership charges the least to reprogram a new key?

Mine only came with one smart key, so I'm planning on picking up a spare on ebay and getting it reprogrammed as a backup.

My car is at Magnussens getting a creek in the rear window area looked at, but they wanted $75 to reprogram a key.
Old 06-05-08, 05:31 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Called Pleasanton and they said they'd do it for $50 so I guess that's not too bad...
Old 06-05-08, 11:53 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm.. why they only gave you one key? It is Lexus (2is??)... not like a car from a used lot.

Did you try to buy the key at local dealer (tell them to match price with Sewell Lexus), and reprogram it for free if possible.

Joseph
Old 06-06-08, 08:24 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

I picked my car up used. So they are at the "mercy" of whatever the old owner brings in.
Old 06-06-08, 08:26 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

I picked up a used key on ebay for $70. I will only be using it as a spare so didn't want to spend $150 + $50 to program it.
Old 06-06-08, 11:15 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Serramonte did the reprogram for us for free from a sewell-bought cutkey. But then again, we did drop it off for an $800 service 3 months prior for basically just fluid changes :/.
Old 06-09-08, 09:56 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

be careful of used keys. ive tried programming a used key and it did not work. so research more deeply on the smart key system
Old 06-09-08, 10:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

There's no DIY to reprogram the Lexus Smart Key. Your local Lexus dealer is capable of doing this. Used key or new key, it should work granted a Lexus service dept does the programming on it.
Old 06-09-08, 10:33 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by istundra
be careful of used keys. ive tried programming a used key and it did not work. so research more deeply on the smart key system
You tried doing it yourself? I've heard only the dealers can because the car needs to be hooked up to the scan tool.
Old 06-09-08, 10:36 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tcho82
You tried doing it yourself? I've heard only the dealers can because the car needs to be hooked up to the scan tool.
Brought a used smart key to stevens creek lexus and tried to have them program it. stevens creek said the vehicle was not able to accept used smart keys, unlike the older lexus who can re-use old keys.

you should look into this more in depth before you purchase the used smart key.
Old 06-10-08, 09:00 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by istundra
Brought a used smart key to stevens creek lexus and tried to have them program it. stevens creek said the vehicle was not able to accept used smart keys, unlike the older lexus who can re-use old keys.

you should look into this more in depth before you purchase the used smart key.
There seem to be many on the board who have been able to use used smart keys. There is no reason it shouldn't work. Unless it was a defective key. I have heard that happening with bad keys obviously.

I think it was the dealership trying to get you to shell out $250+ to buy a new key. Did they ACTUALLY try to program it or did they just tell you that?

I already bought one on ebay for $60. So we'll see if it works or not.
Old 06-10-08, 09:08 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tcho82
There seem to be many on the board who have been able to use used smart keys. There is no reason it shouldn't work. Unless it was a defective key. I have heard that happening with bad keys obviously.

I think it was the dealership trying to get you to shell out $250+ to buy a new key. Did they ACTUALLY try to program it or did they just tell you that?

I already bought one on ebay for $60. So we'll see if it works or not.
Did they actually try to program it? That i do not know. Considering Stevens Creek Lexus has shafted me several times, it could be likely they did try to deny programming my used key to encourage another sale of a new key.

Whichever it is, please do advise for my personal reference.
Old 10-14-08, 12:50 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

So wanted to provide an update.... I finally got around to taking my car into Mag. Lexus to get all open TSIB's performed. Aux input, dash creaks, new rearview mirror, etc..

I also brought in my extra key fob I bought on ebay. Got a call today stating that they tried to reprogram it but that the key wouldn't take. They stated they could probably get it to work by doing a master reset, but that it would cost 1.5 hours = $225. I said nay. Originally the service advisor wrote up that the reprogram would have been covered under warranty.... But they also did state standard reprogramming normally is $75.

I don't want to deal with this hassle any longer, so I'm just going to resell my extra fob on ebay, for someone else to deal with. I just purchased a new Smart key card at Sewell, so I'll get that reprogrammed once that comes in. I contacted pleasanton lexus and they stated it would only cost $50. Hopefully they don't have any issues.

I'll update again, once the card gets programmed.

$199 after shipping and using the group buy code.

FYI - Mag Lexus wanted $325 for a new key and reprogram fee. I guess I WOULD have gotten a new emergency key too though. Oh well. I wanted the smart card any ways...
Old 10-14-08, 01:47 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it's the FCC ID that matters....you have to match the EXACT numbers in order to make it to work.....
Old 10-14-08, 06:44 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kickin8
I think it's the FCC ID that matters....you have to match the EXACT numbers in order to make it to work.....
They are exact.

Quick Reply: Smart key reprogramming in the Bay Area?