Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Shop in Bay area to lower car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 08:47 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DoHwan
another question. sorry for all them questions but is 490 a good price for the installation of the tein cs coilovers and the edfc? or am I getting ripped off?
Again, that depends on how and where you specified to get the EDFC mounted.

If you did a custom install like this with custom fabrication of the faceplate and re-location of the power mirror switch, the labor for the EDFC alone will be more than $490.

Let us know where the EDFC is being installed, is there any custom cutting or fabrication required and lastly who quoted you this price?

The quote is on the high side if the EDFC mounting is a simple job like under dash, etc.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-08-08 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 12:14 AM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw earlier in a post where someone had put it in the ashtray location? I was thinking of putting it there as well. however, because of the length of the edfc unit I believe you would have to drill or cut holes in the car to install it. Would this be pretty hard to do? I got quoted this price from exact motorsports. they said they would just drop it in the glove compartment or double side tape it to the dash somewhere.
If the install costs a lot I could try to do it myself Or I was just thinking of installing the coilovers myself and have them wire the edfc. I dunno. I'm just lazy to do all this myself. I just want it done.
Old 01-09-08, 12:33 AM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

oh yeah and anyone not gonna use their eos6 coupon for exact motorsports? I'll buy it off ya? I know that's a shot into space but just putting it out there. if you wanna help a fellow lexus owner I'll buy it for cheap hopefully if anyone is willing. thanx.
Old 01-09-08, 12:45 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw earlier in a post where someone had put it in the ashtray location? I was thinking of putting it there as well. however, because of the length of the edfc unit I believe you would have to drill or cut holes in the car to install it. Would this be pretty hard to do? I got quoted this price from exact motorsports. they said they would just drop it in the glove compartment or double side tape it to the dash somewhere.

Ok, so I know Exact charges $270 for just the coilover install, so that leaves $220 for the EDFC labor. Knowing Exact's hourly rate, I'd say they are charging you less hours labor time than it might actually take them to do it. (FYI: $220 is the packaged install price with the coilover install. Doing only EDFC will cost more. Plus note this is a quote for DoHwan's model of car. Not all cars quote the same price, some more some less.)

Running wires through the firewall and to the four opposite corners of the car, can require several interior panels to be removed. It takes time to run wire properly and that's what you are paying for.

If the install costs a lot I could try to do it myself .
What is "A lot" to you may not be a lot to someone else.

I've installed several EDFC's myself and I know I would charge the same if not more than $220.

That's just me, but it all depends how much you feel your time is worth, whether you are a working professional or a starving student with a tight budget, everyone has a different situation, so I can only give my own opinion .

Or I was just thinking of installing the coilovers myself and have them wire the edfc. I dunno. I'm just lazy to do all this myself. I just want it done.
If you have a spring compressor and have done coilover installs before then feel free to DIY.

As for the EDFC, if you are really lazy as you say, then you might be able to justify the $220 spent, otherwise do it yourself and be ready to spend 3 to 5 hours of your time depending on your skill level and the complexity of the actual EDFC mounting location.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-09-08 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 06:45 PM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

cool thank you for your input.. very much appreciated.
Old 01-14-08, 07:20 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dohwan,

who did u decide on?

thanks..teeman3
Old 01-15-08, 09:36 PM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

most likely going to go to exact. going to get the alignment done at a place in san jose. I don't really have the time to get it done though. school and work is killing me right now. It probably won't be until summer when I have more time. Also if I have the time I might just do the install myself. I've lowered many cars before so I don't think this car will be a problem. however, the edfc... I don't really feel like drilling holes into my car so I want to have that done at least at exact. We'll see what happens. It won't be until summer anyways
Old 01-17-08, 12:27 AM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

actually after goin to a meet, I believe I'll just do it myself. Joseph confirmed that it's not that hard to do the coil over's yourself and so I guess I'll be doing the coil-overs myself and getting the edfc installed professionally since I have no idea where to drill all them holes. If this was a civic or an accord I might just drill a hole but I guess it's a whole new class
Old 01-17-08, 08:06 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

welcome to LEXU$ world.....