Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Recommend a good bodyshop to paint my OEM rear bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 06:25 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Recommend a good bodyshop to paint my OEM rear bumper.

So I punctured a hole in my rear bumper today, needless to say I need to get it replaced. I ordered the OEM rear bumper from Sewell Lexus. My car is black (Obsidian) so hopefully the match will be very good. I will install the bumper myself, so no need for installation charges.

Can anyone recommend a very good local place to get my OEM bumper painted at? Maybe some place that will use the Lexus OEM paint? How much would a very good (OEM quality or better) paint job be for the bumper?
Old 12-10-07, 04:44 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

European & Import Performance
EIPracing.com
they use PPG.
Old 12-14-07, 06:43 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coconut
So I punctured a hole in my rear bumper today, needless to say I need to get it replaced. I ordered the OEM rear bumper from Sewell Lexus. My car is black (Obsidian) so hopefully the match will be very good. I will install the bumper myself, so no need for installation charges.

Can anyone recommend a very good local place to get my OEM bumper painted at? Maybe some place that will use the Lexus OEM paint? How much would a very good (OEM quality or better) paint job be for the bumper?
Hey Coconut. I just saw this thread. Any reason why you didn't opt to have it repaired? How big is that hole? You should take it to Vu to see how much it would cost to repair. Didn't you pay $300 or so for the bumper?
Old 12-14-07, 08:21 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I backed into a fire hydrant and it punctured a hole through the rear bumper. Theres a gaping 3" diameter jagged hole now. The area around the whole is all dented in. I really want my car to be exactly the way it was so I might as well just spend the extra money and have piece of mind.

I gave Vu a call and went over there yesterday. You weren't kidding about the place being sketchy..... The paint booth was beat to hell and it didn't have a downdraft filter or heated environment. I saw freshly painted bumpers drying ontop of beaten wrecks out in the sun. He gave me a quote of $200 to paint it and $300 to install. I'm not doubting his painting skills, but I'm really turned off by his setup. He offered like a 5 years warranty on paint, but this kind of place I'm not sure it'll still be there in 5 years.

I went ahead with Car West Auto Body in Santa Clara. They do all the work for Lexus Stevens Creek and Fremont. They charged $600 to paint and install with a lifetime warranty on paint.

Thanks for the help though. You ever go to any local meets?
Old 12-14-07, 09:38 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coconut
I backed into a fire hydrant and it punctured a hole through the rear bumper. Theres a gaping 3" diameter jagged hole now. The area around the whole is all dented in. I really want my car to be exactly the way it was so I might as well just spend the extra money and have piece of mind.

I gave Vu a call and went over there yesterday. You weren't kidding about the place being sketchy..... The paint booth was beat to hell and it didn't have a downdraft filter or heated environment. I saw freshly painted bumpers drying ontop of beaten wrecks out in the sun. He gave me a quote of $200 to paint it and $300 to install. I'm not doubting his painting skills, but I'm really turned off by his setup. He offered like a 5 years warranty on paint, but this kind of place I'm not sure it'll still be there in 5 years.

I went ahead with Car West Auto Body in Santa Clara. They do all the work for Lexus Stevens Creek and Fremont. They charged $600 to paint and install with a lifetime warranty on paint.

Thanks for the help though. You ever go to any local meets?
Haha.. yeah.. it's cuz of the place he shares it with. The shop he shares the space with is really strange. They're always taking apart cars or playing with beaten up junk. I've never seen him drying anything out in the sun though. He probably doesn't make a whole lot of money. $300 to install? I'm really surprised he's charging that much to do that. Maybe he didn't take off my bumper when he did the fix. Ah, well.

I thought you were going to install it yourself? I didn't even ask about paint warranty. I figured I'd prolly repaint the car in a few years (strip and repaint) because of the ugly pock marks on my front bumper because of rocks.

Yeahhhhh.. I should go to the meets. Problem is, my car's pretty much stock, so nothing to really look at.
Old 12-15-07, 07:15 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

mine's stock too!

just go to the meet and know more IS owners!
Old 12-15-07, 11:23 AM
madness
Pole Position

Hey Coconut, just as an FYI for alternative place. I take mine to Joey at Simple Image Auto Body in Santa Clara. Joey offers warranty on his work too as long as you own the car. He does a lot of custom work which is what I need. He's currently going to be installing and doing some custom work to my brand new Carbon Fiber parts coming from Japan. If anyone wants more details about his work or the shop PM. His prices are very reasonable.

Last edited by madness; 12-15-07 at 11:24 AM. Reason: additional comments.
Old 12-15-07, 05:10 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

I can vouch for Joey at Simple Image Auto Body as well. I was actually there this morning and will have my car there this coming week for some touch-up work.