Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

anyone have a clue how much a 90+ mph ticket goes for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-07, 11:14 AM
Slinger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LMoney4o8
anyone know if i can get traffic school with 90 + mph
90 in a 25 zone = NO

90 in a 65 zone = probably.

All depends on the circumstances of the event in question.
Old 07-23-07, 06:29 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I got off with $151 fine going 90+ in a 65. It was probably 1:30 AM near Walnut Creek. I think he ultimately marked me at 95.

My sister was pissed a whiles later. She got a $180+ ticket for "jaywalking" in Fremont.
Old 07-23-07, 09:27 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

so u just pleaded guilty?
Old 07-25-07, 02:18 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

yeah. I never win against cops. I even got a ticket once riding my bike on a college campus even though I stopped at the stop sign. I wasted three days fighting that thing. Judge deemed me guilty cuz he was tired after listening to the other cases.
Old 07-25-07, 08:57 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

103 in Kern county on I5. Cost me $379 and 1 point.
Old 07-30-07, 11:49 AM
this1b0y
Lead Lap

125 in Merced County off Los Banos on I5. I lived in LA at that time... no way i was going to show up in court on tuesday. I actually didnt realize a cop was trying to keep up and tail me for 5 min until he turned on his lights.... 2:40AM.

Lawyer has gotten people off 120+, DUI, etc and more... he's good... but to my bad luck, there were 2 CHP officers in the car....

$2800 Lawyer fees... attended court 4 times. from LA.
2 Pt Conviction. approx 500 in fines.

this was a year ago.. sighs.
Old 07-30-07, 12:45 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cal_alum98
Taken from the San Mateo County Superior Court website:

Question: What is a Trial by Written Declaration?

A Trial by Written Declaration is a procedure where, instead of going to court for a trial on your citation, you mail or bring in a written statement on a Trial By Written Declaration form explaining the facts of your case and why the court should rule in your favor. You may also include any documentary evidence you feel is helpful. The officer who issued the citation might also be asked to submit a written statement. You must waive your rights to appear, to testify in person, and to subpoena witnesses.

You will be asked to deposit the bail amount in advance at the time you request a Trial by Written Declaration.

If the court finds you guilty, you may request a court trial. This request must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk's Office within 20 days of the date of mailing the Court's decision.

If you are found guilty, your bail deposit will be applied toward the fine, if one is imposed. If the fine is suspended or if you are found not guilty, your bail is usually refunded to you by mail within six to eight weeks to the address listed on the case.

https://www.sanmateocourt.org/traffic/FAQs.asp
+1

I have just received notice that the citing officer in my case (VC22349a - 84+ in a 65) failed to fill out the paperwork on time, and that the case is being dismissed. I shall be receiving my bail ($232.50) in the next 60 days. This was in Placer County but most courts in California have similar rules. I did not have to drive 100 miles and I got to gather my thoughts thoroughly and put them on paper. I have gone to court to give my "guilty with an explanation" and have found it to be a waste of time.

I will not tell you whether or not you should contest, but if you choose to plead "Not Guilty", I strongly suggest you check out this website: http://www.ticketassassin.com/
Even if you choose not to become a paying member, it is full of useful information.

Good luck either way you go.

Cheers,
~Alan
Old 07-31-07, 11:52 AM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
+1

I have just received notice that the citing officer in my case (VC22349a - 84+ in a 65) failed to fill out the paperwork on time, and that the case is being dismissed. I shall be receiving my bail ($232.50) in the next 60 days. This was in Placer County but most courts in California have similar rules. I did not have to drive 100 miles and I got to gather my thoughts thoroughly and put them on paper. I have gone to court to give my "guilty with an explanation" and have found it to be a waste of time.

I will not tell you whether or not you should contest, but if you choose to plead "Not Guilty", I strongly suggest you check out this website: http://www.ticketassassin.com/
Even if you choose not to become a paying member, it is full of useful information.

Good luck either way you go.

Cheers,
~Alan
Dude, placer county. What the heck you doing way out there?
Old 07-31-07, 12:05 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

There are quite a few useless places I have passed on my way to and from North Lake Tahoe. Placer County has been added to the list. =)

Cheers,
~Alan
Old 08-08-07, 10:03 PM
AaronE
Pole Position

Exclamation

Take it from someone who's fought dozens of these.

File a Trial by Written Declaration.

Absolutely no question about it. Do not believe them if they say you have to go to court - that's against state law. I could dig up the statute, but it says that you're eligible for a TBD for any traffic infraction except those involving drugs or alcohol. I had a ticket in San Jose where they said that it was court policy to make repeat offenders come into court. I told them their "policy" didn't trump state law and demanded TBD forms. I got them, filed them, and won.

When you fill out your TBD, simply write that you were not guilty. Do not write anything that will get you in trouble if you have to go to court. If you lose the TBD, you can get a brand new trial, but the TBD forms are admissible, so don't perjure yourself. Anyway, if the cop fills out his form, you're going to lose anyway. Chances are they won't, though.

If you do lose, you can schedule a de novo hearing and hope the officer doesn't show up. If they do, simply inform the referee that you'd like to change your plea to guilty to save the court time. Ask for traffic school *before* you finish, preferably at the same time as offering to plead guilty.

Summary? There's no downside to a TBD.
Old 08-08-07, 10:14 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

whats TBD?
Old 08-08-07, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

trial by declaration?
Old 08-08-07, 11:43 PM
AaronE
Pole Position

yep. TBD = trial by declaration.
Old 08-09-07, 12:30 AM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

i was planning on waiting for the ticket to go home.. hopefully ask for traffic school and pay the fine.. the thing im worried about is if i do try to fight it, the judge won't lower my fines. and no traffic school