Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports
Old 12-12-14, 03:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Independent Shops for: 30/60/90k Service, Suspension Mods, Engine mods, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 08:14 PM
1NewLexIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sonic MS gets my vote...
Old 03-01-11, 11:28 PM
Rush350
Lead Lap

Exact Motorsports or Limitless Motorsports in San Bruno
Old 03-01-11, 11:48 PM
kokonutjc
Lead Lap

Costco, all location.....

j/k

All the above shops are good.
Old 03-01-11, 11:55 PM
solo
Lexus Champion

I'll do it for you in my garage...
Old 03-02-11, 09:51 AM
MrFuel
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Driven authority in Sacramento
Old 03-03-11, 09:53 PM
renatodato
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93twintrbo
We always give timing belt quotes with water pump, cam and crank seals, tensioners and idlers etc.. because thats the right way to do it. If a customer just wants to replace the timing belt, we will adjust the price for the work they want. Although we do advise them to do it right the first time.
Where is your shop located? I'm a potential customer
Old 03-05-11, 02:52 PM
mickeyt
Rookie

Is there a breakdown of 90k services that show exactly what is to be done?
Old 03-05-11, 04:34 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeyt
In the Vehicle owner manual or thy a search online.
Old 03-05-11, 07:35 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeyt
Some shop quotes for 90k service include a spark plug change and others do not. You have to look at their quote to make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

A spark plug change alone on a v8 motor is going to add rougly $150 - $200 to the quote, depending on the brand of plug. Some dealers will not include the plug change in their quote and you may think you got a good deal, when what may happen is after they start the 90k, they could check the plugs and then recommend that you change them anyway.

Shops aren't ripping you off if they do, or do not include the plug change. It's up to you whether you actually want the plug change, plus remember it also depends on what intervals you have been changing the plugs prior to your 90k.
Old 04-11-11, 11:25 AM
hellaclean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrFuel
Driven authority in Sacramento
Is this shop pricey? I just moved to the area and see them posting on craigslist. They seem to have good prices on aftermarket parts.
Old 04-11-11, 08:46 PM
gs300ebony
Driver School Candidate

hey lexus fam,, I got a 2003 Gs300 in San Francisco & im looking for a shop/mechanic to do a 90k timing belt+water pump package (tensioner,idler,pulleys,drive belt,cam seals) and was wondering if anyone tried Limitless Auto in San Bruno. I called em & Shane gave me an excellent price of $840 w. OEM parts & $400 for labor. I called Exact Motors & John seemed a bit pricey for &930 parts+labor for the same thing & $430 for labor. He also quoted $1300-$1500 for timing kit plus tune up..does any body have any input or another shops to consider not too far from San Fran? thanks in advance..[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 04-12-11, 11:23 AM
doperpaw
Driver School Candidate

Any recommendations on pre-purchase inspections in San Francisco? I assume there needs to be a slightly different eye when doing PPI's vs. mechanical work & maintenance.
Old 04-12-11, 12:54 PM
gs300ebony
Driver School Candidate

@doperpaw yeah lexus of serramonte can do a complete 160 point inspection and check for both electrical and engine problems. its worth it too me if you plan on spending thousands into a car you want to know what your getting.
Old 04-12-11, 03:24 PM
doperpaw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs300ebony
@doperpaw yeah lexus of serramonte can do a complete 160 point inspection and check for both electrical and engine problems. its worth it too me if you plan on spending thousands into a car you want to know what your getting.
Thanks for the recommendation. If their PPI's like the Toyota 160-point list, I would be needing a 200-point inspection. In looking at the Toyota list (http://www.toyotacertified.com/inspection.html), the checks are trivial, i.e. "Clock keeps time"

For my previous purchase, I had a PPI done with a shop that specializes in the make/model. They checked for the more critical areas, e.g. replaced/repaired parts, panels, welds, things out of the ordinary for a Lexus. Understandably, there's a tiny market for folks to specialize in ES350's, but was hoping for a reliable shop to help look at these areas of the car.
Old 04-14-11, 10:04 PM
rza8gamma
Pole Position

Thumbs up My experience at Exact Motorsport 60k service

Before i talk about my experience let me tell you why i choose E.M for my 60k service. About 3 months ago my brakes started to make that squealing noise when i would brake below 30mph usually at street lights. I decided to give E.M a try, and called them up they were able to see my car the next day. I was already thinking my pads were in need of replacement and maybe even the rotors since the squealing had been going on for a couple of months (it took me 2 months to finally do something about it because the squealing would come and go but it was annoying for me, especially when i would have other ppl in my car). So as i sat there waiting for the verdict John came and informed me that i still had about 60% left on my pads, and that the squealing was prob. due to inferior pads or the car being washed and too much water being sprayed at the brakes. I used to work in Menlo Park and there was a 100% hand car wash close to work that i used to frequent a lot and they would use a pressure washer and hose my car down and spray my wheels with it too! (had i known it would negatively effect my pads i prob. would not have gone there as often) but i was impressed with his honesty and the fact that i just saved myself (at least for the time being ) some money by not having to buy pads that were still good. Because of this i had no hesitation to take my car for my 60k service. They were ok with me bringing them the Sewell 60k service package that had most of the parts needed for the service I also brought in my own toyota ATF oil and and brake fluid oil, the rest of the fluids and parts were provided by them. They completed the work in a day and allowed me to pick up my car a day after it was done (they kept it inside the shop) due to an unexpected meeting at work. Finding an honest shop is hard these days, so i will be a regular for my maintenance and performance parts here. Next mod is some coils. Hope this helps anyone whose close to a big maintenance interval and looking for a shop in the bay area.

Last edited by rza8gamma; 04-14-11 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Independent Shops for: 30/60/90k Service, Suspension Mods, Engine mods, etc.