Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports
Old 12-12-14, 03:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Independent Shops for: 30/60/90k Service, Suspension Mods, Engine mods, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 04:21 PM
RoverBoi88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
In order to compare fairly, you really have to get a written quote to know if the performed was the same at both shops. The amount of maintenance they recommend may depend on how you use the car and the environment where you drive and how many of those recommended services that YOU decide to have done.

At 60k service, the quotes become even more varied, as some quotes may not include spark plug replacement or transmission oil change.

If you compare apples to apples though, Exact will surely be less than the dealer at 30k, 60k or 90k.

Note: Every year, Exact gives out discount coupons to all attendees during one of the NorCal Certified meets each year. Keep an eye out for which meet that is.

I notice that there is always a rise in the veteran CL member attendance when that coupon is annnounced for a particular event.

Thanks for the note!. Ended up getting the 30k done over at Exact. Rather surprised the dealer charges 800+$ for the service which clearly most of th job just required inspections. Exact went ahead and did the job for more than half the price cut down and I truly believe the work done was nice. and of course, John and his wife are super nice... much better than the stubborn dealers in Fremont >.>"
Old 10-25-11, 04:37 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverBoi88
Thanks for the note!. Ended up getting the 30k done over at Exact. Rather surprised the dealer charges 800+$ for the service which clearly most of th job just required inspections. Exact went ahead and did the job for more than half the price cut down and I truly believe the work done was nice. and of course, John and his wife are super nice... much better than the stubborn dealers in Fremont >.>"

Well there you go. Your comments are pretty much in line with what people have been saying for years. Take a look at the very first pages of this thread .

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-25-11 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-28-11, 01:14 AM
WLGS01
Pole Position

Default Coilovers Installation

The GS is my first car so apparently I've never done any major work on a car before it. Recently I picked up some Stance coilovers for the car. I plan to give it a nice drop to cover the gaps between the tires and fenders for the time being before I get some wheels. However I am debating on whether I should do the research and attempt to install the coilovers myself or have it done at a shop, most likely by someone who knows what they are doing. But of course the second option will cost. Any recommendations?

If I should get them done at a shop, what are some good places out here?(North Cal, Sacramento area)
Old 10-28-11, 04:05 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WLGS01
The GS is my first car so apparently I've never done any major work on a car before it. Recently I picked up some Stance coilovers for the car. I plan to give it a nice drop to cover the gaps between the tires and fenders for the time being before I get some wheels. However I am debating on whether I should do the research and attempt to install the coilovers myself or have it done at a shop, most likely by someone who knows what they are doing. But of course the second option will cost. Any recommendations?

If I should get them done at a shop, what are some good places out here?(North Cal, Sacramento area)
our buddy John owns a shop Autosport 209 in Stockton. He owns a second gen GS. He's cool.
Old 10-28-11, 08:36 PM
RoverBoi88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Well there you go. Your comments are pretty much in line with what people have been saying for years. Take a look at the very first pages of this thread .

saw them Glen =) thanks again!!
Old 11-01-11, 11:49 AM
WLGS01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
our buddy John owns a shop Autosport 209 in Stockton. He owns a second gen GS. He's cool.
is he on here. anyway i can contact him?
Old 11-01-11, 01:31 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WLGS01
is he on here. anyway i can contact him?
Autosport 209. His name is John and his screen name is VIP209.
(209) 475-9111. Tell him Mariano recommended you from Club Lexus.
Old 11-04-11, 01:21 AM
RoverBoi88
Pole Position

Does anyone here know of a shop that does upolstery??? i needa get my roofliner redone in a car and trying to find a great place to get it done at!!!

Thanks!
Old 11-13-11, 05:05 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

I'm looking to powdercoat my calipers.. wondering if there are any cheap+good shops which does them?
Old 11-14-11, 10:06 AM
zminister
Driver School Candidate

Default Mechanic in Marin?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mechanic in Marin or possibly Sonoma? I would drive to Exact Motorsports but the suspension on my GX 470 isn't working and I really don't want to drive it that far. And I've looked through every post on this thread and haven't seen anything in the North Bay.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 11-14-11, 10:59 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by rookieIS
I'm looking to powdercoat my calipers.. wondering if there are any cheap+good shops which does them?
Originally Posted by RoverBoi88
Does anyone here know of a shop that does upolstery??? i needa get my roofliner redone in a car and trying to find a great place to get it done at!!!

Thanks!
PM kokonutjc or sffd103 : they had work done

Guys,
this is a service and mechanical mod thread. Not gonna get much reply since your questions are off topic.

Do an ADVANCED search and try different key words like "powder coat' "headliner", "upholstery" etc. If you find a good old thread with info and would like an update or additional info then reply to that thread with your specific question. I don't prefer starting a new thread if there are already threads out there with good information that others can add to. There's also a DIY on headliner in the 2GS forrum, if you expand your search beyond NorCal.

In all forums there isn't almost any basic question that hasn't been answered many times over the 10 years I've been here. Veteran members tend to not reply if it is apparent that a search was not done. You never know when there may be an old thread with good info that could be more helpful or informative than new threads with noobs replying to other noobs.

Do an ADVANCED search using key words, determine what forum sections to perform the search and If no info found "specific" to your need, then feel free to post a new thread or reply to an existing thread.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-14-11 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-14-11, 12:07 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by zminister
Does anyone have a recommendation for a mechanic in Marin or possibly Sonoma? I would drive to Exact Motorsports but the suspension on my GX 470 isn't working and I really don't want to drive it that far. And I've looked through every post on this thread and haven't seen anything in the North Bay.

Thanks in advance for your help!
That's a tough one since very few members live in that area. The only other I can think of is Impact Performance in SF area. They do a lot of Lexus suspension work, but not sure on the GX. Do a search for them as they've been mentioned before.
Old 12-02-11, 03:07 PM
91dx
Rookie

looking for a shop that can do a transmission and rear end swap on my sc300 at a reasonable price.
Old 12-02-11, 04:21 PM
tonynca
Driver

That's going to run you about $500-600 in labor at just about every shop in Norcal. You should try Thanh Auto. Even though they're a Viet shop, they do plenty of engine and tranny swaps. Honest dudes who will not rip you off.
Old 12-02-11, 07:19 PM
91dx
Rookie

Originally Posted by tonynca
That's going to run you about $500-600 in labor at just about every shop in Norcal. You should try Thanh Auto. Even though they're a Viet shop, they do plenty of engine and tranny swaps. Honest dudes who will not rip you off.
some shop in vallejo quoted me $1800 just for labor. I knew that seemed high.

Quick Reply: Independent Shops for: 30/60/90k Service, Suspension Mods, Engine mods, etc.