Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

NorCal IS/2IS meet (7/30), post meet discussion!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 01:50 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NorCal IS/2IS meet (7/30), post meet discussion!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=norcal

Sorry I have to say it this way... Our NorCal group needs better program and organization!

The meet was peaceful at Starbucks, but our 10+ rides occupied the next parking lot that belongs to the Korean Tofu house. After signning in, everyone started in little group chat and all a sudden the host went announcing about the route without introducing each other.

Before took off, I already knew the route was pretty rough and with many sharp turns, and definitely not for mates with children and boyfriends/girlfriends (it was my fav route when I had the AE86 few years ago ) With some junk cars (sorry but it is true) mixed in our line of blinking Lexs, it made me feel strange and over prepared.

After about 25 min riding in the uphill mountain road that could not fit two Hummers at the same time, the group came to a vista point for photoshooting. Guess what! Two SC became the spotlight and parked sideway and took the main scene in this “IS/2IS MEET”.

About 20 min stop at the vista point on the side of Skyline Road, the group moved on to the downhill route just because someone said “Lets move on!”. Me and the other 2IS owner were confused about where and what is the upcoming program, and I could tell even the hosting people were confused too because they went on two different directions.

The worst part of this meet was on this downhill route . I am still not sure what have happened but the IS300 behind me pulled over at a sharp turn, and I kept on following the leading car (my car was 2nd in the line) because there wasn’t any space to stop, and most of these turns has speeding limit at 15 mph!!

Another 5 min riding with the leading car, we both stopped because there was not any car behind us. We parked our cars very close to the edge of the road just about to fall into the draining-ditch, so we would not block the traffic, but weekend bikers were still shouting at us with “No Parking!” and “Move on!”

We were wondering there for about one and a half of cigarette time (me a smoker), and finally one of the 2IS came up (not the IS300). He told us that one of the junkies went beyond its limit and fell into the woods and the party was over.

I swear I had 3 seconds thoughts that I should give some help or call AAA…., but with all that curves, turns, bumps, potholes, and unknow condition, I decided to go home on the 5th second.

Overall, the meeting to me was carp, and I hope that guy did not get hurt!!

Again I am sorry to say it this way . I feel it was a setup for the SCs to be surrounded by IS/2IS for fun or their hobby on photo collection need (j/k, but it made me feel so), and I wish there was more time to social with more mates and check out their lovely rides.

Let’s do it better in next meet please.

Last edited by josephdoc; 07-31-06 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 02:16 PM
crzygosu87
Driver School Candidate

oh shiiit who was the person that fell into the woods? @___@ oh man ... hope he's OK
Old 07-30-06, 02:18 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
oh shiiit who was the person that fell into the woods? @___@ oh man ... hope he's OK
Sigh... not sure, but I heard it was a CRX...
Old 07-30-06, 03:06 PM
madness
Pole Position

I don't know dude I had a lot of fun. Other than the CRX going off the side of the road (good thing he was ok). At these meets people don't introduce each other or have a role call. We just start chatting away and meeting people. That's kinda how you do it man. The course was a bit rough for people who aren't used to driving but hey we all grown adults and should behave responsibly while driving. If you want to speed, speed. I can't knock on this meet, I thought it was good, we did lack some clear direction as to where we were going but overall it was fun. If you want to chat it up more come to EOS, if you are that disappointed just stay home. Shout to TeeMan for setting it up. Now back to helping Menech and Imaputz with their mods. Look forward to seeing everyone at EOS.

Originally Posted by josephdoc
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=norcal

Sorry I have to say it this way... Our NorCal group needs better program and organization!

The meet was peaceful at Starbucks, but our 10+ rides occupied the next parking lot that belongs to the Korean Tofu house. After signning in, everyone started in little group chat and all a sudden the host went announcing about the route without introducing each other.

Before took off, I already knew the route was pretty rough and with many sharp turns, and definitely not for mates with children and boyfriends/girlfriends (it was my fav route when I had the AE86 few years ago ) With some junk cars (sorry but it is true) mixed in our line of blinking Lexs, it made me feel strange and over prepared.

After about 25 min riding in the uphill mountain road that could not fit two Hummers at the same time, the group came to a vista point for photoshooting. Guess what! Two SC became the spotlight and parked sideway and took the main scene in this “IS/2IS MEET”.

About 20 min stop at the vista point on the side of Skyline Road, the group moved on to the downhill route just because someone said “Lets move on!”. Me and the other 2IS owner were confused about where and what is the upcoming program, and I could tell even the hosting people were confused too because they went on two different directions.

The worst part of this meet was on this downhill route . I am still not sure what have happened but the IS300 behind me pulled over at a sharp turn, and I kept on following the leading car (my car was 2nd in the line) because there wasn’t any space to stop, and most of these turns has speeding limit at 15 mph!!

Another 5 min riding with the leading car, we both stopped because there was not any car behind us. We parked our cars very close to the edge of the road just about to fall into the draining-ditch, so we would not block the traffic, but weekend bikers were still shouting at us with “No Parking!” and “Move on!”

We were wondering there for about one and a half of cigarette time (me a smoker), and finally one of the 2IS came up (not the IS300). He told us that one of the junkies went beyond its limit and fell into the woods and the party was over.

I swear I had 3 seconds thoughts that I should give some help or call AAA…., but with all that curves, turns, bumps, potholes, and unknow condition, I decided to go home on the 5th second.

Overall, the meeting to me was carp, and I hope that guy did not get hurt!!

Again I am sorry to say it this way . I feel it was a setup for the SCs to be surrounded by IS/2IS for fun or their hobby on photo collection need (j/k, but it made me feel so), and I wish there was more time to social with more mates and check out their lovely rides.

Let’s do it better in next meet please.
Old 07-30-06, 03:38 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to say that you didn't have much fun at the meet. As far as people not introducing themselves, I think this may be due to that this is majority a 2nd Gen IS meet (mind you nothing wrong with that but most of the 2nd gen owners are newbies and may have never been to a meet before). So far we've had 2 or 3 meets in norcal and I can't remember more than a few 2nd gens showing up. The few I know are LDYNRED, Wolverine, Menach, and IMAPUTZ. The veteran members here in Norcal generally try to intoduce themselves to the new members however we're also working the meet so please understand if we can't get around to meeting everyone. Please do try and make it out to our EOS (end of summer) meet on Sept 24th as it is the largest lexus only owners meet on the west coast, hopefully it will be a better experience. We know some people that only attend the EOS meet, including some as far as Los Angeles, San Diego, and Arizona!!!
Old 07-30-06, 03:54 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by madness
I don't know dude I had a lot of fun. Other than the CRX going off the side of the road (good thing he was ok). At these meets people don't introduce each other or have a role call. We just start chatting away and meeting people. That's kinda how you do it man. The course was a bit rough for people who aren't used to driving but hey we all grown adults and should behave responsibly while driving. If you want to speed, speed. I can't knock on this meet, I thought it was good, we did lack some clear direction as to where we were going but overall it was fun. If you want to chat it up more come to EOS, if you are that disappointed just stay home. Shout to TeeMan for setting it up. Now back to helping Menech and Imaputz with their mods. Look forward to seeing everyone at EOS.
1. I think I did everything you said besides "staying home".
2. So you mean at these meets, NorCal group don't expect new people so lets forget about the roll call.
3. Up and downhill routes, I was right behind ChubbyMike. No speed issue to me.
4. Don't get your point about "grown adults"!? If you are really thinking as grown adults, you should think there were little children in us.
5. You sound pissed about my post, but I am telling the truth and trying to help to have better meeting quality.
6. Do you need any help on the mod? I think I did most of them and I got shop load of tools.

Peace!

Last edited by josephdoc; 07-30-06 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-30-06, 04:25 PM
madness
Pole Position

I'm not mad at you I just don't think that you realize that the purpose of the meet was to go cruising, a bonus was to meet people. I got to chat it up with several people including you. You just need to chat with people and introduce yourself. As for the kids, everyone is welcome to come. They have been at several meets and no one has ever had issues with them. They are great kids. We're doin just fine with the mods, thanks for the offer maybe next time you should stay to hang out. Menech, Imaputz, ldynred and myself went to have lunch. Everyone was welcome to join us but everyone went home. I didn't see you at the Starbucks otherwise you would have been welcome to hang out and eat with us.

2. So you mean at these meets, NorCal group don't expect new people so lets forget about the roll call.
4. Don't get your point about "grown adults"!? If you are really thinking as grown adults, you should think there were little children in us.
5. You sound pissed about my post, but I am telling the truth and trying to help to have better meeting quality.
6. Do you need any help on the mod? I think I did most of them and I got shop load of tools.

Peace!
Old 07-30-06, 05:16 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Peace!
Roll call is normally done, its the only way we can put a screename to a face.
Old 07-30-06, 06:43 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by madness
I'm not mad at you I just don't think that you realize that the purpose of the meet was to go cruising, a bonus was to meet people. I got to chat it up with several people including you. You just need to chat with people and introduce yourself. As for the kids, everyone is welcome to come. They have been at several meets and no one has ever had issues with them. They are great kids. We're doin just fine with the mods, thanks for the offer maybe next time you should stay to hang out. Menech, Imaputz, ldynred and myself went to have lunch. Everyone was welcome to join us but everyone went home. I didn't see you at the Starbucks otherwise you would have been welcome to hang out and eat with us.
OMG... Madness Madness!

"Realize"?? I said it was my old fav route, and I was very realized about the cruising because I shifted from "P" to "D" and followed all the way till the crash.

"Purpose of the meet was to go cruising"... again, it says "IS/2IS meet and cruising" in the title, but I see SCs in the spotlight in main scene. I don't mind, maybe it looks better, and they were not blocking my car, but saw the SCs blocked someone else's car. Why we did not put up those kid's car at center?

"Menech, Imaputz, ldynred and myself ...." Mad-dude, why you keep bringing up names? Were there 4 people only, or you just think knowing 4 is good enough, or there were the only 4 you know?

"Great kids", they stay home and go to church on Sunday. For sure great kids don't crash into woods on Sunday.

I guess you don't get my point and you don't like suggestions. The crash made me feel terrible and ruined the rest of my day, and dont forget that THERE WERE NEW PEOPLE TO THE GROUP TODAY.

What do you think the new people feel about it today?
What if you were the one who had the crash?
Will you still say you had fun today, or "behave responsibly while driving" if you had that crash today?

Yes, you did say those b/s but I wonder did you think before you said it?

To me, there were properties damaged during our meet, serious enough that it was a dead-or-alive matter on some "great kids" as you have mentioned, and you still called "IT WAS FUN TODAY OVERAL".

Last edited by josephdoc; 07-30-06 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-30-06, 07:29 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

a little disorganized then most meets i have attended so far in Norcal..... probably because we're all newbies...

i feel sorry for the guy who went off the cliff...... must have been a scary expereience.... not just him... but for all of us....

taking sharp U-turns at 30+ mph defitely required concentration....... i saw people waving hands out thier window while taking these turns...... crazy..... (i don't think they are CL people... they were in Hondas (?) Integras(?))
Old 07-30-06, 07:45 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
Not a CL member.... he was in a honda crx..... must have been a friend of someone attending that tagged along.

he was 3 cars in front of me...... we were making a sharp U-turn..... and next thing I see is leaves and dust.... then cars braking in front of me......

he is okay..... at the scene... you can see his skid marks....and tire marks in the dirt as he flew off the cliff... he's very lucky to be alive... he was like 2 ft away from slamming into a tree.
Old 07-30-06, 07:47 PM
madness
Pole Position

Menech is awesome!

***manny you left yourself logged in on my PC
Old 07-30-06, 07:49 PM
menech
Lead Lap

hmm well from all the meets I have been to before we really never do a "roll-call" thing. Usually the host makes an effort to say Hi to the newcomers but basically everybody just hangs out and mingles.

I might not remember everybodys name, but it was very cool to check out the mods people had, and see the different cars. We didn't have much social hang out time (20 mins), but that was the way the agenda was organized. It was after all only a 2 hour meet. The "official" meets (rewards points meets) are usually all day long affairs so you have alot more time to hang out and socialize and people usually wear name tags to help identify their online screen names.

To address the SC spotlight concern...I guess I wasn't even worried about it. Flip suggested the mini-meet and Teeman (SC owner) helped get us all together. He PM'ed contact info in case they were running late or got lost, brought cupcakes and food and offered to buy everybody coffee with a prepaid starbucks card so in my humble opinion if he wanted to put the two SC together in front for the photo op. thats fine with me since the mini meet was his idea.

I do agree the CRX crashing did dampen the mood a bit. I was really concerned about the guy and glad he was ok. I hope somebody can post additional information about if he got his car out ok and if the cops got involved.

After the crash we headed down the rest of the mountain and were going to stop, but the next stopping point was fairly congested so things feel apart after that. We did manage to get a group to wait together on the 280 overpass and we convoyed back to starbucks and chatted for a bit before people went their separate ways.

The drive was fairly aggressive, a more mellow route with less hairpins might have encouraged people to enjoy the scenery and weather more. I thought the IS members were driving fairly responsible and leaving enough following distance to allow people to break hard before corners.

Thanks to Teeman and Flip for helping us IS350 newbies meet up Other than Ldynred and putz there haven't been many IS 2nd gens showing up at the meets and it was good seeing all the 2nd gen IS! I hope to get a better chance to meet you guys at EOS or any meets before than!

Also thanks to putz and madness for the redout help, and the patience during our afternoon of soldering heh. :P Also thanks to ldynred for *cough* helping me with my CL sticker *cough*
Old 07-30-06, 08:31 PM
madness
Pole Position

OMG... Madness Madness!

"Realize"?? I said it was my old fav route, and I was very realized about the cruising because I shifted front "P" to "D" and followed all the way till the crash.

Speak English I don't understand what this means.

Purpose of the meet was to go cruising"... again, it says "IS/2IS meet and cruising" in the title, but I see SCs in the spotlight in main scene. I don't mind, maybe it looks better, and they were not blocking my car, but saw the SCs blocked someone else's car. Why we did not put up those kid's car at center?

Who cares about the SC's they are cool cars. It's just a picture. We will have many chances to take pictures again at EOS. Stop talking about the kids.

"Menech, Imaputz, ldynred and myself ...." Mad-dude, why you keep bringing up names? Were there 4 people only, or you just think knowing 4 is good enough, or there were the only 4 you know?

I brought their names up because all of us were hanging out after the curise, like I said everyone was welcome to hang and have lunch with us.

"Great kids", they stay home and go to church on Sunday. For sure great kids don't crash into woods on Sunday.

Don't talk about other peope's children. You don't know them. Leave them alone. Their mother can take them wherever she wants and i'm sure she was driving safely especially since they were her kids. No one would do anything to endanger their kids. You're just being silly man.

I guess you don't get my point and you don't like suggestions. The crash made me feel terrible and ruined the rest of my day, and dont forget that THERE WERE NEW PEOPLE TO THE GROUP TODAY.

No I don't get your point or your English.

What do you think the new people feel about it today?
What if you were the one who had the crash?
Will you still say you had fun today, or "behave responsibly while driving" if you had that crash today?

I never said anything bad about the guy. I was glad he was ok. If I had crashed I would have felt bad but I can't blame it on anyone. Things happen. I would have learned my lesson and moved on like any other adult. We all make mistakes.

Yes, you did say those b/s but I wonder did you think before you said it?

I thought about what I said. I'm not some idiot man.

To me, there were properties damaged during our meet, serious enough that it was a dead-or-alive matter on some "great kids" as you have mentioned, and you still called "IT WAS
FUN TODAY OVERAL

Well it's too bad that something happened at this meet to someone but that doesn't mean I still can't have good day. I like to look at the bright side of things and not linger on negative things. Yea something happened but at least no one was hurt. Nothing against what happened to them but I still had fun.
Old 07-30-06, 08:35 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for coming out today. As you can see, unexpected things do happen. The non-CL cars were invited by another CL member to tag along on this winding cruise and this ok since they've been to meets like this before.

Unfortunately, the Honda CRX went off the embankment during the cruise and the driver was ok. The car was stuck between a few trees just 10 feet decline from the road.
I received notice later that his car was still operational other than a minor facial abrasion on front end of the car. The tow truck did show up 30 minutes later and the car was finally back on it's feet.

As far as social time alotted at the beginning of the meet, there wasn't enough time to get together and chat amongst the members. I tried to stick to the schedule to start the cruise because it was scheduled for 10-12. Given the 20 minutes at Starbucks, I felt we had to start the cruise in order to keep on schedule. I apologize if anyone did not have a chance to chat some more during this time.

With 15+ cars and 20+ people, it's hard to keep track of who's who in the crowd. I tried to introduce the first few people to other members as they showed up, but as more came I couldn't keep up w/ the names/faces of introducing everyone to everyone else. It's up to you to mingle and introduce yourselves amongst the others. But I did try, though.

As far as the photo shoot, since there were a few photopgraphers who snapped numerous photos of each individuals' rides and group photos, I thought that I put 2 SC430's in front of the group photo to mix it up. I was not trying to steal the show/spotlight or be in the way of anyone.
There were many snapped photos of the 2IS as a group and I'm sure that someone will be posting those pics soon. Again, I apologize if this offended anyone in the group.

During a cruise, there will be other cars trying to merge or exit and them getting in the way is common when we have a line of 15+ members cruising along the road. Common courtesy falls into play here and they have every right to cut into our line to exit or merge into another lane.

As I mentioned before on the thread; Afterwards, if anyone who wishes to get together after the planned agenda, they may free to do so w/ other members to have lunch or get together somewhere else. That's why it's from 10-12 so that other folks have time to leave afterwards for other engagments later in the day. A few folks left early and that was ok. For the remaining folks, the schedule was open and flexible for you guys.

Thanks to Chubbymike, Flipsonic and Imaputz for assisting w/ this cruise meet.
We had a good number of 2IS in one location (about 12?) and other models to join as well.

Again, I apologize for any mishaps or mis-communication on my part not explaining and organizing this meet to fit everyone's expectations when they attend a meet such as this one.

I tried my best to accomadate as many folks as I can and to encourage new members to join and attend meets as many as they can throughout the year. I guess I'll have to take a step back and let someone else organize a meet like this one or any future one.

I certainly had fun today and meeting everyone. The 2IS's together were truly the highlight of the day and 2nd highlight was the Honda CRX stuck at a 45 degree angle w/ a few trees that kept it from sliding any further down the embankment.

I hope to see y'all at EOS. Oh, I forgot about the stickers. Just see me at EOS and I'll take care of you, I promise.

Last edited by martini3; 07-30-06 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: NorCal IS/2IS meet (7/30), post meet discussion!