Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

California front license plate law

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 09:48 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Miss_IS300: OK. I see what you mean now. You pay the $40 instead and are still vulnerable to receiving another ticket for it. What I thought was the $40 earned you the privilege of running around with no front plate.
Old 06-28-06, 10:22 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been pulled over at least 8 times (no tickets ) and ive never ever been bothered about my front plate.. you think having no license plate is noticible? i rock a jap plate, i just dont think cops care anymore.. unless your in sacramento.

Old 06-28-06, 11:15 PM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Miss_IS300: OK. I see what you mean now. You pay the $40 instead and are still vulnerable to receiving another ticket for it. What I thought was the $40 earned you the privilege of running around with no front plate.
HAHA! I wish. Gotta make sure you know some law enforcement officers I guess lol.
Old 06-28-06, 11:45 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
I would never suggest you do anything illegal, but please consider the next 2 facts:
1) The fine for no front plate in California is $25 (correctable violation) and is reduced to just under $20 if you choose to put the plate on and get it signed-off by an officer.*
2) The fine for just barely missing that yellow light (read: running a red) reaches $370 depanding on county, and is a moving violation carrying a 1 point count.
There are rear cameras to photograph the back of your vehicle and hence your license plate, so not having a front license plate doesn't make you immune to red light camera tickets. My wife got nabbed for making an illegal right turn and her car didn't have a front license plate. Yet, every time I get pulled over for not having one, the cops always use the red light camera reasoning for requiring a front license plate.

Rather than make holes in the bumper to get the fix-it tickets signed off, I simply use tape to temporarily stick the plate to the bumper.

Ironically, if I get pulled over for speeding or other infractions the cops never ticket me for not having a front license plate. It's only when they specifically target no front license plate offenders as part of a sweep that it becomes an issue.
Old 06-30-06, 12:10 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i haven't had a front plate on my car in 5 years, been pulled over dozens of times in the meantime, and never had anyone mention it...
Old 06-30-06, 04:35 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
I would never suggest you do anything illegal, but please consider the next 2 facts:
1) The fine for no front plate in California is $25 (correctable violation) and is reduced to just under $20 if you choose to put the plate on and get it signed-off by an officer.*
The fine for no front plate is just $10 if you correct it. I did it in March. If you get pulled over for it again it is still the same price no matter what. No correctable violation stays on your driving record. Only moving violations which cost you points. If you dont have any holes for the front plate I suggest just doing the DIY from the links above. Just to make it look cleaner. Also, there is not law against having your plate in the "JDM" locations of your front bumper. As long as it is clearly displayed in the front that is all that matters. Ive had a couple people mention that to me before so I thought I would just bring that up. One more thing, you will get a ticket if your front plate is displayed on your dash. It happened to me before with my previous car.
Old 06-30-06, 06:15 PM
lukerative
Driver School Candidate

I bought my car used from a dealer (an Infinity dealer not a Lexus dealer) and my car didn't come with a front plate. Do you think if I got a ticket for no front plate I could complain to them and make them pay the ticket?

Also, be aware of where you are driving without your front plate. My friend got pulled over for no plate when he was taking me to the airport during the high security airport days. So if you're driving around in a high security area without a plate they might think you are a terrorist. A pretty pimp terrorist in a Lexus but a terrorist nothing the less.
Old 07-01-06, 12:32 PM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lukerative
I bought my car used from a dealer (an Infinity dealer not a Lexus dealer) and my car didn't come with a front plate. Do you think if I got a ticket for no front plate I could complain to them and make them pay the ticket?

Also, be aware of where you are driving without your front plate. My friend got pulled over for no plate when he was taking me to the airport during the high security airport days. So if you're driving around in a high security area without a plate they might think you are a terrorist. A pretty pimp terrorist in a Lexus but a terrorist nothing the less.
From what I understand, if you were never issued a front plate at the time of delivery of your vehicle then you're not required to have a front plate. I know Corvette owners aren't issued a front plate when they get their car hence they aren't required to have one. You can definitely fight the ticket in court if you were to decide to. The worst thing that can happen is for them to tell you to go to DMV and have them issue you a front plate.

V.C. Section 5200
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
JspecSC3, the fine varies from city to city and it also depends on if it is CHP that pulled you over, the last time I got ticketed for that it was $40 to keep it and $25 if you correct it. I was ticketed by the city police, not CHP.

Last edited by miss_IS300; 07-01-06 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-01-06, 02:13 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Miss_IS300: Thanks for mentioning the fact about Corvettes. I thought this was the case but never did any research. I have NEVER seen a C5 or C6 gen. Vette with a front plate. I didn't know that the dealers did not issue them. Who pays for that? Does Chevy pay the state xxx amount for their buyers not to have to run front plates? It seems kind of unfair to every other car owner who actually is required to mount a front plate because they were issued one? But doesn't the DMV actually send you the plates? Do they just send Vetter owners one plate for the rear?
Old 07-02-06, 10:36 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

I've seen corvettes get tickets for not having a front license plate. The older ones have removable center and you can install one inside it, but for the newer ones http://www.topflightrepro.com/ Never heard of California issuing only one plate to Corvette owners.
Old 07-02-06, 11:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

All vehicles registered in the state of CA are issued two plates, there are no exceptions for any vehicle even corvette owners. Fact of the matter is, there is a place to put a front plate on a Corvette, most owners choose not to put one on.

Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code Section 5200

Display of License Plates

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5200.htm

Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code Section 11713.17

Front License Plate Bracket

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 365, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.;
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_17.htm
Old 07-05-06, 05:31 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

Don't ever get tagged in San Francisco.....it's not a fix it. It's a $100 fine. Even meter maids will tag you. When i bought my 2k GS new from Serramonte Lexus, they never put a front bracket on or drilled holes for it. i never signed anything regarding the front plates. Dmv only sent me 1 plate also.

Last edited by Supraristo; 07-05-06 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 07:58 PM
bomexlex
Rookie

yeah san francisco is a $100 fine. cant fix it. Just got one the other day at 12:30am from some meter maid..... guess its their job to sneak around at night and look for these violations.... lol

well i put my license back on...looks alright, i guess ill just get used to it.

b0m
Old 07-05-06, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

cool, thanks for the info, another reason why i don't really go to sf all that often.

that probably means i will never drive my sc430 there as well
Old 07-06-06, 03:41 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe henry, now you know why i have my plate zipped to the black grill seeing as i live in sf

i also remember that i was the only one with a front plate in that lineup that day...

Quick Reply: California front license plate law