Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

New info on cop crackdowns....read...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 12:42 PM
SBMGS4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New info on cop crackdowns....read...

My buddy brought this to my attention last night..he saw it on Supraforums. Apparently the talk is that they will be cracking down on all imports looking for modified cars...starting in Sac and then spreading through the state.

Sacramento Crackdown Preliminary Tactics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

got this from http://sacramento-dsm.com/viewtopic.php?p=7307#7307 thought id share with norcal.

Here's the prelims for what's in store. For us guys in Sacramento who don’t have a clue, the cops are coming down on modified imports like a ton of bricks, its going to be unlike anything you have ever experienced when the cop has pulled you over. Allot of what is in store for Sactown is based off the SDPD Drag-Net program, with new tactics and revisions skirting civil rights, I mean on the very fringe of your rights

The local cops are going to get a course on a few textbook things:

*Identifying Illegal Engine & Vehicle Modifications
*Engine & Transmission Number Tampering and Detection
*Enforcement Tactics for Engine Modifications
*"Hands-On" Practical Experience Inspecting Modified Vehicles
*Racer Related Insurance Fraud and Auto Theft
*Using Local and State Legislation to Solve the Problem
*Modifying Streets to Deter Racing
*Preparing for Mass Arrests
*Investigating Street Races and Seizures of Racer Vehicles

Now, with anything in the local government sector, it takes some time to phase it in. There is going to be several phases of the crackdown starting with the most obvious and narrowing down to the organized street race scene. When the full blunt force of the team kicks in, they are going to hit hard and heavy, it’s going to be the talk of the town. They plan on sending their message right away. The cops are going to do their homework in rounding up information. What you can expect is the following:

* - Trolling local car websites to target meet spots and drives.

You want to talk about low blow? Websites will be monitored for what is blatantly obvious, to go to the area of meet, trap the cars, inspect, ticket or impound modified cars.

* - Video taping of modified vehicles and license plates at Sacramento Raceway and import car show venues within the county.

Undercover cops will be there video taping modified cars running on the track as well as parked cars. With video evidence in hand, the plates are run through the system where the cops may send out a letter warning you of the mods on the car and/or schedule an unexpected DOT inspection of your car at home.

* - Street crackdown

With their newly found mad profiling skilz, they will pull you over. Nab you on front license plate BS if its not installed, stickers placed on the windshield and rear glass, LED glow kits, ride height being at least 22.5 inches from ground to bottom of headlight and more. Next comes the fine tooth comb, plan on being stopped for a while because they are going through everything now. Non approved intake, headers, exhaust, Naaawwwsss, etc.
Depending on how many violations they stick you for, will lead to fines and fees up the butt till that car is stock again when you go see the mandatory Referee for inspection and testing. Worse cases an automatic impound plus the Referee.

Get ready for unscheduled road blocks, IE, cop cars blocking the way with their lights on. The purpose of this is to trap cars into an area where each and every car will be fine tooth combed, ticketed and impounded. Currently, the DUI checkpoints already do this, but now there’s going to be more of them with the purpose of trapping cars.

* - Hangout crackdown

You can't just sit and chill with the guys talking cars without being DOT inspected now. Going on a tipoff from an undercover who mingled in the crowd or spotted you, cops will block in all parked cars and every car will be fine tooth combed. Violators might get lucky with a ticket, but what they are really after is the revenue generated by the impounds and I mean lots of impounds. The will have the tow trucks lined up ready to take cars.

If you are hooked on the underground racing scene in Sacramento, your days are numbered. Everyone knows that if you are caught racing you automatically loose your car, well now you are looking at jail time. Get ready for bait cars to lure you into a trap. Undercovers will now be mingled in with the crowd to listen in for the race spot, video tape your face if possible, your car and license plates. If, for some reason, they weren’t able to make the bust at the race site, the cops will compile the video info of plates captured, get an arrest warrant for you at your home and impound your car. Yes, this is now coming to Sacramento mostly targeting Friday and Saturday nights well into the early hours of the morning.
Old 08-14-05, 01:32 PM
tobal
Rookie

Wow that sounds like a pain for both us and the 5o's. I'm glad i don't have a highly modified car no more. Just driving around or just haning out talking about cars just sounds like a threat. Smogging is a pain already, and now just blocking you in at just some hang out spot to do inspections, that sux.
Old 08-14-05, 06:40 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

Wow, I heard this was a SoCal thing.. Now I'm really scared . My car only has exterior mods but I have many friends with highly modded cars. A lot of us "hang out" and getting checked for just kickin it at a coffee shop is ridiculous.
Old 08-14-05, 09:00 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

hmmm...will they really crack down on those who drives 4 dr sedans that are slammed with big rims and bodykits? say a GS or LS?
Old 08-14-05, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah there is another thread in the car chat about this. if it's really true, then it really sux..... those cops are so stupid they have nothing better to do
Old 08-14-05, 11:14 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah there is another thread in the car chat about this. if it's really true, then it really sux..... those cops are so stupid they have nothing better to do
They should stick to eating donuts

Old 08-15-05, 02:44 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xknowonex
They should stick to eating donuts

Oh dont worry , they'll always make time for that.
Old 08-15-05, 08:55 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I dont want to get into a political debate here, but despite being a Democrat Im starting to really liking Arnold wanting to take away benefits from these guys. My next vote for governer goes to Arnold
Old 08-15-05, 10:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I dont want to get into a political debate here, but despite being a Democrat Im starting to really liking Arnold wanting to take away benefits from these guys. My next vote for governer goes to Arnold
that's if arnold really does what he says. he's been having a slacking records now on not fulfilling promisses

and then again, if anything to cut budgets, those cops will go crazy giving out tickets to make money anyway
Old 08-15-05, 12:55 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

that's if arnold really does what he says. he's been having a slacking records now on not fulfilling promisses

and then again, if anything to cut budgets, those cops will go crazy giving out tickets to make money anyway
Arnold would love to cut the budget as much as he can only if he doesnt have any pro-public employee union Democrats in the state legislator. In spite of me being a Democrat, Im not too fond of their support of public employee unions. From my personal experiences, there are just too many overpaid, incompetent people working for the public sector.
Old 08-15-05, 09:35 PM
gsfour
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SBMGS4
With their newly found mad profiling skilz, they will pull you over. Nab you on front license plate BS if its not installed, stickers placed on the windshield and rear glass, LED glow kits, ride height being at least 22.5 inches from ground to bottom of headlight and more.
Hmm...my stock STI from ground to bottom of headlight is less than 22.5 inches. Although I've heard cops pulling over totally stock STIs for:
1) exhaust too loud
2) illegal wing
3) no tread on tires (stock tires look this way to the uneducated)

I'm going to carry an STI brochure in my car at all times now.

Well, I usually go to Sac in my minivan anyways so no worries I guess. That's one good thing about minivans. At least in America, they're never going to get modded so you'll never have to worry about harassment from the cops. Oh and they're comfortable as heck!
Old 08-15-05, 09:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well cops are pretty stupid on this anyway. my friend got pulled coz' he had exhaust TIPS on the stock exhaust. the cop said the exahust LOOK loud. total illustration of their IQ
Old 08-15-05, 11:04 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

well cops are pretty stupid on this anyway. my friend got pulled coz' he had exhaust TIPS on the stock exhaust. the cop said the exahust LOOK loud. total illustration of their IQ
I cant believe such idiots are given the power to carry a firearm and detain people
Old 08-17-05, 11:00 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default CARB and Cops

Don't just blame the enforcers of the law, remember that the California Legislators created CARB, the California Air Resource Board. CARB made all the mods illegal without regard for whether emission were raised or lowered by what was done.

We'd all be driving around a fckug Toyota Prius or Honda Hybrid or riding a bike if these bastards had there way. Remember that the next time you vote Democrat, you automatically give a free pass to the environmental wacks who create the crap and then blame the cops for enforcing when they need a little revenue?? And just who the hell is going to give any of us an sympathetic ear in the press when the shtick hits the fan and it makes the 6:00 news.

If the state really wanted to get mass polluters, they could install sniffers at the toll crossings and major highways instead of having us pay $50 to $90 every other year for a smog test that is so easy to cheat on anyway. The technology exists and its cheap, but they are more interested perpetuating the bureaucracy then results, like most of government.

Oh yeah, as you fork over almost $3 gallon, remember to thank in part the more the $0.53 in taxes Californians voted to double (Prop 111, 1990) and the CA environmental regulations that mandate a special formula of gasoline produced by only a handful of refineries.

In California, the sales tax is levied on the full price of gasoline, including the 36 cents per gallon state and federal excise taxes. Some states do not apply their sales taxes to the excise tax portion of the price, and some exempt gasoline from sales tax

Last edited by SCoupe; 08-18-05 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 11:55 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

**** Yeah! Let me share my past experience. A couple weeks ago a local forum called BayAreaRacers.net (or something like that) had posted up all kinds of things about a huge meet coming up. They called it "battle of the bay." It was to be held in a remote secret track in tracy. About 100-300 cars attended those runs. Even me. There was no place to park. As soon as we all got out of cars to check out the action we noticed that there were Feds coming from all directions possible. All the tons so spectators scrambled but the Feds had forced everyone into the neighboring town which I believe was Brentwood. I knew it was a planned and organized bust because the only Feds that were there were only CHPs and Sherrifs and a couple unmarked police cars. Guns were being drawn and freeway entrances were blocked off. Luckily we hid in some dark neighborhood fo about an hour until the Feds went away and somehow we had made our way onto highway 4 coming out of Antioch. The next day all this was posted up on the local newspapers.

A couple weeks later we go to the runs in our area here in San Jose and basically the same thing happened.As soon as the group got big the block offs began. Feds blocking the entrances.

I havent been on the forums much because my car had been impounded on July 5th all the way through August 4th for Speed Contest. I had to pay about $1500 to get it out. I still havent gotten the ticket. Im retiring from the scene for a bit but I will be adding stuff to my car. Hopefully I'll see everyone at the next meet.

Quick Reply: New info on cop crackdowns....read...