Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Lexus of Route 10, Whippany, NJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 08:43 AM
setback99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lexus of Route 10, Whippany, NJ

I recently purchased a 2013 GS-350 from Lexus of Route 10 in Whippany, NJ. This is not the closest dealership to my house as it is about 90 min away but it had the certified vehicle in the color and options I was looking for. When I got to the dealership, I noticed that there was significant wheel scuffs on three of the four wheels. Some almost would I would call gouges. The salesman told me that they would refurbish the wheels and would be good as new upon delivery. I was surprised that they would have a certified car on the lot with such an issue but they promised to make it right and I ended up purchasing the car. Two days later the salesman called and said the car was ready, as I had to work, my wife volunteered to go pick up the car. When she arrived she said that the wheels looked good but there was a gouge now in one of the tire sidewalls (photo attached). She told the dealership (our salesman was not in) and they apologized and led my wife to believe they would then put a new tire on the car. An hour later my wife drives the 90 minutes home and I inspect the car when I got home from work. First, I was amazed to see that the wheels that were "repaired" looked good as new. Based on the original condition of the wheels it would have been impossible to restore them to the current condition of what was installed on the car, but I wasn't complaining, yet. My second observation was that the tire that was installed to replace the tire with the gouge was far from new, based on the wear on the tire and to top it off it had a plug in it. (see attached photo). When I called the salesman to complain he said that they never promised to install new tires and that based on wear they met the criteria of the certified inspection. He apologized for the issue with the plug and that he wasn't there for delivery and if he was present none of that would have happened. OK, I give everyone a chance to make it right. Mistakes happen. Two days later the wife drives back up to the dealership to have the tire with the plug replaced. Salesman was there and apologized up and down how sorry he was. They replace the tire, again with a used tire. Wife returns home again and now the wheel that had the plugged tire has three separate gouges in it.(see photo) It is obvious to me at this point that when they are swapping/repairing the wheels on this car they are simply swapping them with ones on other cars they have either in the loaner fleet or on the lot.

I have a couple issues:
1. Is it that difficult to get 4 wheels and tires on the car that don't have gouges or plugs in them?
2. When I purchased the car I was told the three gouged wheels would be repaired, it is now obvious they were replaced with wheels from other cars. Now I have four tires on the car with who knows what mileage on each tire and I can guarantee that the wear is different on each one.
3. All I have heard since walking through the dealership door is Lexus customer service and quality, blah blah blah yet here I sit experiencing my worst car purchase event ever. I have had better service and quality ay Honda or Toyota dealerships.

Is it crazy to ask the dealership to replace all 4 tires as they swapped equipment on the car after purchase without my consent not to mention I am now running on 4 tires with different and unknown mileages?

What is the best approach to take at this point with the dealership and I can already tell they have grown tired of me. I have been nothing but polite and professional with them.

This is my first Lexus and I love the car but the service I am getting in horrendous. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-01-15, 08:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't like plugging at all.Inside patches are better.
Delivering a CPO vehicle with that sidewall issue if awful.
Also delivering a vehicle with 4 tires of different mileage is just as bad to me.
I'd ask for new tires and call Lexus customer service if they won't give you new tires.
My not help but worth a phone call.
Old 02-19-15, 07:23 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, SOrry to hear about your terrible experience with Lexus of route 10,

There is a man with the username of AlpineBST who actually works for Lexus of route 10 and hosts annual meets at the dealership for the Northeast side.

Shoot him a PM and im sure he will be able to help you out!
Old 03-08-15, 11:11 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very sorry you had a bad experience...which was very unusual...

I actually helped you're wife when she picked up the car for you while the salesperson was out sick...

it is very common for CPO cars to have chipped wheels and not necessarily NEW tires and as long as the cuts in the tires do not penetrate the sidewall then they are still fine to be driven on....

Each dealership usually repair the wheels and as long as the tires are at 5/32nds of 10/32nds tread depth, the car is certified.

I believe this has been rectified at this point?

-Marc

Last edited by tsopranoMB; 03-08-15 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-19-15, 01:39 PM
RCdriver
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My rt 10 lexus experience was also not what I wanted it to be. But I didn't get past sales. I wound up going to prestige lexus on rt 17.
Old 04-20-15, 05:10 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I can understand your frustration, I would not stand for that. If the problem doesn't get rectified I would consult
AlpineBST For help. I went to the last Club get together at that dealer ship and met AlpineBST as well as a few others who I'm pretty sure wouldn't allow this!
Old 04-20-15, 06:49 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Lexus Corporate and complain. Ive done that in the past and they have called the dealer while I was on the phone with them. Also hammer them on the survey they'll be sending. Dont be a pushover and start getting on peoples *** like a maniac. Trust me dude it works.