Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

NYC pothole pwnt my wheel, file a complaint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 02:25 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default NYC pothole pwnt my wheel, file a complaint?

i was going up the West Side Highway this weekend and hit a really bad pothole... it was dark and i was going about 60 in the middle lane and i couldn't avoid it since i had cars in the lanes on both sides of me...

today i see that my front driver side tire is flat... the face of the wheel doesn't look like it has any bends, but when i pull off the wheel to replace it with my spare, the inside has a bend and 1/2" crack on the lip where the bend is...

i am thinking about filing a complaint with NYC... has anyone had any sucess with this??? this is ridiculous that now i have to pay a few hundred dollars to replace my wheel when they should be properly maintaining their roads!!!
Old 03-23-09, 05:13 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
i was going up the West Side Highway this weekend and hit a really bad pothole... it was dark and i was going about 60 in the middle lane and i couldn't avoid it since i had cars in the lanes on both sides of me...

today i see that my front driver side tire is flat... the face of the wheel doesn't look like it has any bends, but when i pull off the wheel to replace it with my spare, the inside has a bend and 1/2" crack on the lip where the bend is...

i am thinking about filing a complaint with NYC... has anyone had any sucess with this??? this is ridiculous that now i have to pay a few hundred dollars to replace my wheel when they should be properly maintaining their roads!!!
Notice of Claim time. You have 90 days to do this.. This will get you started.

http://nyc.gov/html/dot/html/about/onlineforms.shtml
Old 03-23-09, 06:36 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks!!! this is perfect...
Old 03-24-09, 01:04 AM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NYC is a bi%&$..good luck bro, maybe you'll get something. to be honest i think lexus has a plan for things llike this, specifically just for your wheels/tires stock, not aftermarket.
Old 03-24-09, 11:16 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious...Has any one attempted this with any success?
Old 03-24-09, 11:27 AM
oski83
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted it at a local town in NJ...No luck...they had construction going on and had laid down some of those steel 4ft x8ft brown steel plates to cover holes...well after Im guessing a heavy truck or w/e passed over it, it warped to the point that the corners were sticking out...point of plate caught my wheel (dented it) and damaged tire (ripped it/flat)
Theyre response basically was "you should see wher you're going"...

GL specially it being in NYC....
Old 03-24-09, 12:39 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what usually happens for NYC...
If there was a complaint filed for that pothole and the city didn't fix that pothole within a certain period of time and you messed up your tire then they owe you $. otherwise they are not responsible.

so basically someone had to have reported that pothole in order for you to get anything from the city.

good luck
Old 03-24-09, 01:33 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mktbully
this is what usually happens for NYC...
If there was a complaint filed for that pothole and the city didn't fix that pothole within a certain period of time and you messed up your tire then they owe you $. otherwise they are not responsible.

so basically someone had to have reported that pothole in order for you to get anything from the city.

good luck
Correct.. Prior written notice is needed. A foil search for DOT records which includes a Big Apple Map, road work permits, cutforms etc. will reveal a great deal.. The lay person would be at a loss with this. How much is this worth to you in $$ & time? How much are those wheels worth?