Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

First Run at New Jersey Motorsports Park, Thunderbolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 09:22 PM
qqfob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Run at New Jersey Motorsports Park, Thunderbolt

NJMP Thunderbolt Circuit, New Jersey.
I took the IS300 out today with PDA. Thunderbolt circuit at New Jersey Motorsports Park. Really fast, really technical, 2.25 miles of speed, half of which is endless tire squeal. 1:45.7 is my personal best today with Yokohama ES100s. Not exactly bragging rights, but enough to write a little something something.

The place is in South Jersey, Millville to be exact, about 30min from exit 3 on the turnpike. Construction continues as they are finishing phase one of the build. Dust, dirt everywhere, my interior is coated in brown. Sheltered paddocks are available for $100-150, but I sat in the sun. Race fuel can be pumped trackside on either one of their 2 big tracks. A HUGE crowd, complete sell out.

GREAT mix of cars, from Atoms with wings to Ferraris with plastic windows, a what seems to be ex-Oreca Viper, and a stock car. Vettes and M3s fill up whatevers left. Evolutions completely out numbered the STis. Toyotas? my IS300 and a MR2 are probably the only two. Otherwise Miatas littered the place.

The track is easier to understand with a picture view. We are looking at Thunderbolt circuit, the one on the left.
http://newjerseymotorsportpark.com/overview.html
This circuit is run clockwise, the configuration today follows the outer asphalt. Turn one comes off the front straight, a 5th to 3rd right hander. onto turn 2, the blind hill crest that requires braking under turn in, trust in your memory is all you have as you full throttle early. Turn 3 is a light tap on the brakes for nothing more than weight transfer. Back straight carries you up a hill and flattens out in preparation for turn 4, a 4th to 3rd, in out in, high speed right that if you take too fast or too early will definitely mess up the first left hand turn on the course. This left turn is an early braking, late apex V shaped turn that had caught many onto the dirt. A short straight, a textbook 90deg right, to final straight on the course. From here it gets technical (hard). Another 90deg right that I take with an early apex, end up on the outside edge of the track, and follow full throttle. The hardest part of this track, the decreasing radius sweeper can be taken a few ways. I go in edge wide, still full throttle, for what seems like eternity, then brake to induce oversteer for a tight, late apex exit. It all seems completely wrong at first, but you're on the right side of the track to set up for the long 180deg left. Stay wide going in, about 1/2 through the turn you start pulling it into the apex, muscling a car past the limit, and clip a late apex. A set of S turns at full throttle and a light lift, concreted right turn brings you finally to the front straight. I've hit 110mph by the end of the front straight into turn 1, but my 2JZ has no turbo.

I think it was over 90degrees today. I'm exhausted, but I definitely had fun. It's arguably the best track within 3 hours of NYC, or is it? I heard Lime Rock is fully repaved with a new back section this year, but then NJMP also has the Lightening circuit, even higher speeds with more blind elevation changes... Lime Rock is next for me, Oct 26 with EMRA.

I'll start with some camera phone pictures, be patient as I gather photos from everybody else and eventually work my way to upload an In-car of me over pushing it.

Sin, representing
Camber Toe
659 Merrick Road
Lynbrook NY 11563
516 872 6400

Last edited by qqfob; 08-06-08 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-07-08, 06:44 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i want to . . .
Old 08-07-08, 09:46 AM
qqfob
Driver School Candidate

Like I said, I will be attending Lime Rock Park with EMRA in October if you guys are interested. www.EMRAracing.org

Here are a few more pictures...

Old 08-07-08, 12:32 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's the approximate overall cost? The website doesn't really say. Do you need to sign up as a member?
Old 08-07-08, 05:28 PM
qqfob
Driver School Candidate

Expect $280 to $320 for registration. A full tank of fuel for the track itself.

Make sure your helmet is within regulations, over 1/2 life on the brakes and over 1/2 life on the tires.
Old 08-07-08, 07:04 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

should of posted that u was going i was around that area today for work..i would of stopped by..
Old 08-08-08, 06:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This looks like fun.. Cost is a bit more than BMWCCA experience. I am a member of NYBMWCCA http://nybmwcca.org/forums/index.php and I get invites frequently.. I need to run the 335 to see what it can do.. The last event was at Lime Rock & they had a guest special for $110 per person. Let us know when there are special offers similar to this below.. It would be great to go as a group for sure.. Here is the package that was e-mailed to me from BMWCCANY..

Hi Everyone,

I know its been a while since I've sent one of these out, but there are some great events coming up this month that we wanted to get the word out on.

In this issue:

1- Formula BMW Guest Experience Package
2- Street Survival Program
3- 5th Annual BMW Family BBQ
4- Autocross
-------------------------------------

1- Guest Experience Package

Formula BMW Racing
Lime Rock Park - July 11th & 12th

On Friday July 11th and Saturday the 12th, BMW will be at Lime Rock Park for the Formula BMW Racing. In addition, on Saturday, there be the American LeMans Series (ALMS) and IMSA Lites races. As part of the Formula BMW experience BMW is offering a Guest Experience Package which includes food and beverage along with full access to the BMW Members Lounge. Guests will have the opportunity to meet the Formula BMW drivers as well as listen in on the pit radio during the races.

For those unfamiliar with Formula BMW, it is an amateur race series where young drivers get a chance to compete. Formula BMW program prepares young drivers from the ages of 15- 19 years old for a career in race car driving. Many Formula 1 drivers got their start with Formula BMW including names like Sebastian Vettel, Timo Glock and Nico Rosberg.

Guests Experiences Packages are limited so please order sooner rather than later. The Saturday Guest Experience cost $110 per person and the Saturday race ticket is included. It's a $165 value for $110. Weekend (Friday and Saturday) Guest Experience Package is also available at $200 and includes Friday and Saturday race tickets. This is $290 value for $200. The $110 Guest Experiences is a single day and cannot be used for two days, only one. Please use the form on the last page of the brochure. Packages can be paid for via credit card.

Brochure: http://ctvalley.org/pdfs/2008_FB_AM_...02_fin_HeS.pdf

2- Street Survival Program

We are hosting a Street Survival Teen Driving School at Nassau Coliseum on July 13th.

Sudent Registration for the event is now closed, but we are still looking for Volunteers and Instructors to help with running the event.

To volunteer, contact Matt Brod at onrailsm3@hotmail.com.

Matt Brod was on Motormouth Radio discussing the Street Survival Program last week, Here's a link to the recorded radio session: http://www.motormouthradio.com/06-29-08.mp3

The CT Chapter BMWCCA hosted a Street Survival Program last week and had Fox News there covering the event. Link to the Fox News Coverage: http://fox61.trb.com/video/?clipId=2...ge&clipFormat=

For more information about the Street Survival Program go to: www.streetsurvival.org
--------------------------------------

3- 5th Annual BMW Family Barbecue

Date: Saturday, July 19th 2008

North Linden Field
Parking Lot 6A

Time: BBQ starts at 1 pm

Children up to 5 yrs old eat free!
Registration closes July 16th! Don't Wait!

Call 917-561-8051 or email msnybmw@aol.com

Please R.S.V.P. by July 14th.

Cost prior to July 14th:
Adults $25, Children $8

Cost after July 14th:
Adults $30, Children $10

4- Autocross

We will be hosting an Autocross at Nassau Coliseum on Sunday July 20th and Sunday August 3rd.

For more information about this check out our website: http://www.nybmwcca.org/autox_rules.php
BMW CCA, NY Chapter Inc Discussion Board Statistics:
Registered Users: 900
Total Posts: 5288
Busiest Time: 129 users were online on 26th June 2007 - 08:56 AM

Handy Links
Board Address: http://nybmwcca.org/forums/index.php
Lost Password Recovery: http://nybmwcca.org/forums/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=10

How to unsubscribe
Visit your email preferences (http://nybmwcca.org/forums/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=02) and ensure that the box for 'Send me any updates sent by the board administrator' is unchecked and submit the form
Old 08-08-08, 07:13 AM
qqfob
Driver School Candidate

Those rates for Lime Rock is for spectating only. Its a good price considering you get up close to both F-BMW cars and ALMS cars, but no driving included.
Old 08-08-08, 09:56 AM
qqfob
Driver School Candidate

On track fun...

The long front straight

First left hand turn of this track

S-turns before the straight

Also, professional quality photos available
http://www.tracktimephotos.com/galle...&m=08&d=06&c=1
Old 08-08-08, 04:12 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like fun, might wanna try it someday.
Old 08-13-08, 07:10 AM
kyungsoo
Rookie

will be an amazing facility when it's finished. can't wait till one of the bmw cca's get booked there
Old 04-14-09, 10:34 AM
qqfob
Driver School Candidate

I am taking registration for another track day even at NJMP. It will be on the Lightning course this time, on Monday, May 11th. Cost is $300 and will include instruction and optional instructor to ride along. I will provide and highly recommend a free pre-event checkup on your car here at Camber Toe in Lynbrook, NY. Give me a call or send me an email for more information. I can do cash, M.O., or paypal +3%. Registration closes on April 25th.

Sin
516 872 6400
YSL041284 at Gmail.com