Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Mechanic needed in Arlington VA area

Old 05-23-06, 08:44 AM
bbernardon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic needed in Arlington VA area

Hello my name is Bob and I have an 01 GS430. I really need to find a shop/mechanic that can work on this car because I have completely lost faith in the dealers. The car has 103k and is having a drivability problem. Over the past 18 months I have been to 4 different dealers 5 times because of a check engine light. Apparently the code (I don’t have it handy) was the one that indicated that the problem was the gas cap. Either it wasn’t tightened or the o ring is faulty. However it seems that none of the dealers actually fixed the problem, they just cleared the codes. Recently (a week after having it cleared again, with no notice that I needed other work) it started losing power when driving. This is especially noticeable when engine/air is cold, but happens when fully warmed up. It feels like I lifted off the gas completely even when I very carefully hold the pedal in place. If I floor the throttle for a couple of seconds it responds slowly. It is intermittent and not really predictable, but very clearly present. Mileage has dropped about 20% in city, 10% highway.
The current dealer now says the engine light is really several codes and that I need to replace the charcoal canister (evaporative emission control canister) and other parts. It may have been related to the delay in fixing the original problem, but can’t be sure. They want $1500 to repair this and aren’t sure this will really fix the drivability/mileage issue! The previous dealer had said it was the throttle body but admitted they were guessing, but would be glad to replace the throttle body for $1000!
Oh, they also want $300 to fix the mildewy stinky A/C, but this forum has given me better direction.
Unfortunately I am in the Washington DC area on active military duty and only have basic tools with me, so I can only do fairly easy repairs (can get a lift). The dealers are completely ruining this Lexus experience for me and if I can’t work around this I will dump this car and not come back. It would be a shame because it is quite good in many ways.
So can anyone recommend a trustworthy, competent shop/mechanic in the Arlington VA/Wash DC area.
Sorry for the long post but thanks.
Old 05-23-06, 09:42 AM
mistamista
Driver School Candidate

I take my GS to Satellite Motors in Silver Spring, MD. They only work on Toyota and Lexus. They do great work and I save about half of what the Lexus dealer charges for a tune-up.

Here is there wesite
http://satellitemotors.com
Old 05-23-06, 10:09 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gone to a guy in Chantilly (I think his name is Ryan Graham). The name of the place is Chantilly Automotive. He said he was the master tech at Pohanka Lexus for years. Their number is 703.471.0555
Old 05-23-06, 04:42 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

FYI ... you might want to post this in the regional section as you may get more responses.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/neloc-175/
Old 05-23-06, 10:38 PM
bbernardon
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

Thanks to all I will check these and any others that may come in.
Old 05-25-06, 08:26 AM
bbernardon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STONER
I have gone to a guy in Chantilly (I think his name is Ryan Graham). The name of the place is Chantilly Automotive. He said he was the master tech at Pohanka Lexus for years. Their number is 703.471.0555
Thanks for the pst, I contctd Chantilly auto just fine (they are a Goodyear service center). However they do not know Ryan Grahm. Was your recommention for the place or for the guy?
Thanks
Bob
Old 05-29-06, 10:36 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chantilly auto is the GoodYear place that scratched the face of my brand new wheels when mounting them. Chantilly AUTOMOTIVE is down the road about 4 miles. I will check to make sure I gave you the right number but please don't go to Chantilly Auto (aka Goodyear).

I just checked. They're both called Chantilly automotive. The number I gave is the right one and they are on Wade Drive. no website though.

Last edited by STONER; 05-29-06 at 10:40 AM.