North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

Does anyone have a friend with a Dealer's License in DFW?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 02:14 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone have a friend with a Dealer's License in DFW?

Hi All, I am in North East DFW and looking for somone with a TX automotive dealers license or licensed insurance adjuster. I bought a 2002 GS300 below blue book value and need to transfer it in my name, but TX wants to charge me tax on the "PRESUMPTIVE VALUE" of the car which according to their site is $8000 on my car with 161k miles. I got the car because it needs a lot of work and have already bought about $700 worth of suspension parts and have to spend another $350 to get them installed.

According to TX, you can have a licensed dealer fill out this form on which they describe the car's problems and what they would "appraise" the car for.
Please let me know if you know a dealer ( can be independent/wholesale etc)
LET THEM KNOW THEY WILL MAKE A QUICK $100 !!
Here is a link to a copy of the form for more information: http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinf...rms/14-128.pdf
Old 02-14-13, 03:11 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe they switched to a "presumed value" over the "paid amount" to decrease the frequency of fraud during these private party transactions. That being said, $8k seems a bit high. Book value on the car is $5-6k with that mileage.
Old 02-17-13, 12:41 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

A dealer cannot do what you're trying to do. You have to goto a state certified appraiser. They then have to deduct the damages or factor in whatever is causing the car to be under book value. Keep in mind, if you're trying to claim the price you paid is $6k vs 8k. The difference in tax is probably like $100 or so. State certified appraisers have to charge a minimum of $125 to do the appraisal.
Old 02-19-13, 06:23 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped at a dealer off Hwy 75 and luckily he did it for me.

Jeff, why do you say it can't be done by a licensed dealer? The first page mentions a licensed dealer can do it and then on the back side of the page it gives more details:

First page:
A licensed motor vehicle dealer or licensed insurance adjuster uses this form exclusively for the purposes of Section 152.0412,
Tax Code and 34 T.A.C. § 3.79 concerning Standard Presumptive Value. The form must be filled out in full and be typed or legibly printed after the appraiser views the motor vehicle in person. A dealer may only provide an appraisal for the types of motor vehicles which the dealer is licensed to sell. The purchaser files this form with the county tax assessor-collector at the
same time of titling and registering the vehicle. Do not send the completed form to the Comptroller of Public Accounts.

2nd Page:
Eligible appraisers:Licensed Texas motor vehicle dealers can appraise the categories of motor vehicles that they are licensed to sell. That is, automobile dealers can appraise automobiles, motorcycle dealers can appraise motorcycles and trailer dealers can appraise trailers. Licensed dealers include new and used vehicle dealers, wholesale dealers, wholesale auction dealers,
motorcycle dealers, trailer dealers and any other dealers licensed by Transportation Code, Chapter 503, Subchapter B, but not a drive-a-way operator. An insurance adjuster can appraise any type of used motor vehicle.

Appraisal feeUnder the new law, the Comptroller sets the fee for a certified appraisal by a licensed Texas motor vehicle dealer. Comptroller Rule 3.79 (34 T.A.C. §3.79) states that the fee can be no less than $100 and no more than $300, except for
appraisals of motorcycles, house trailers, travel trailers and motor homes.