North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

Alignment Shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 06:14 PM
cv129
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Shop

Bobby Garrett's Alignment

I've recently hit a curb by accident, affected my alignment a bit. Car bottomed out a bit in the process. I had concerns that suspensions components might've been damaged. Found Bobby's place through a corvette forum. Checked out his site, thought "if he could align a big rig, he can align my car". He does 100% manual measurement. He specializes in frame and alignment correction.

First - Phone conversation with Bobby, I narrated the above scenario. Right away, he showed compassion and concerns, asked me to go to him sooner than later. I ended up there same day during lunch time, on a very short notice.

Second - He's familiar with lowered cars and height adjustable coilovers. After a test drive, as Bobby pulls into the garage and up onto the rack, his employee always stays in front to carefully guide the car onto the rack, in terms of the left/right position, checking whether the front bumper would scrap, whether the midsection bottom of the car would scrap (my car sits quite low, not inclines friendly)

Third - He's careful with customers' cars. On an old car, you don't want to close the door too hard with the window half way down. When he closed my car's door very slowly, he carefully placed his hand on both the handle and the half rolled down window.

Inspection - He inspected the car, showed and explained to me the point of impact (hit the shield of the cross member, not serious, no suspension damage). He gave me a reading on the camber as well. He didn't charge me anything.

Alignment - My ride height was very low, currently sitting on 18x9.5 +28, about -2 camber with fender roll all around to avoid rubbing. A little agressive for me. I told him I've ordered new wheels, and that I will need ride height + camber + toe adjustments, and he agreed @ a more than reasonable price to my suprise (He's known for that. A vette customer one time tried to pay him more out of guilt). I mentioned to him that I planned to order Ikeya F+R LCA because I thought the camber adjustments had been maxed out, he told me to hold off until I come back with new wheels and test fit first.

Bobby's suggestion effectively mean he'll be working on it multiple times, doing many repetitions of "raise it up, adjust, low it back down, check height and clearance, then repeat again..." What kind of alignment shop does that?

One week later today, I went back there unannounced. Wheels were delayed due to shipping problem, and I couldn't stand the car having even a slight pull. I wanted to set up an appointment for just a quick front alignment for now. He accomodated my presence, corrected my front height (passenger side 3/8 in higher) and tire pressure (cool weather pressure slightly lower than my normal), then did the front alignment. My car goes straight now, just like when I first got it. I can't disclose the price, b/c that'll create false expectation for others. Let's just say I feel guilty.

I've snapped some pictures of the shop and a variety of customers' car awaiting his services. Also check his website for some old pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6889757...th/6264789443/

2202 Manana Dr, Ste 212
Dallas TX 75220
Phone: 214-716-0575
www.bobbygarretts.com

Last edited by cv129; 10-20-11 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 06:19 PM
cv129
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a related topic, I had been a customer of another shop called Dallas Frame and Alignment. They are also 100% manual measurements (no digital guages), and has a large hanger type shop that services anything from lowered imports to big rigs. I was happy with the custom alignment job done on my 240sx, but pricing is quite steep (approx $137 per axle, $50 inspection fee but will be waived if you do the alignment with them), and it's not better than Bobby's shop.

Don't get me wrong, I like the place, just that Bobby does just the same level of job, with a little more smiles and a much cheaper price, plus a slightly wider range of service that can really cater to the crowd with lowered cars.

Last edited by cv129; 10-20-11 at 06:24 PM.