North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

Texas people - got drivers license issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 10:11 AM
Gregz_IS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas people - got drivers license issues?

Texas is offering a program...

Texas DPS Driver Responsibility Amnesty Program
Start the New Year off Right! Is your driver license currently suspended because you still owe surcharges and haven’t been able to make payments? Make your New Year’s resolution to pay them off!

The Texas Department of Public Safety will provide an Amnesty period to offer lower payments for individuals whose driving privileges have been suspended and are in default on their surcharges. The goal of the Amnesty period is to bring drivers into compliance with the surcharge law, and allow them to become licensed and insured drivers.

Surcharges are in addition to all other reinstatement fees required for other administrative actions and do not replace any administrative suspension, revocation, disqualification or cancellation action that results from these same convictions. The amnesty reduction does not apply to any other fees that you may owe the Department of Public Safety.

When will Amnesty begin?
It will be offered from January 17 to April 17, 2011.
Applications will only be accepted through April 7, 2011.
Amnesty will not apply to any surcharges assessed after January 15, 2011.

Who will be eligible for Amnesty?
Anyone who has an unpaid surcharge that was assessed between September 30, 2004 and December 31, 2008.
At least one of the surcharge(s) meeting the above criteria must be in default prior to the Amnesty period.
How will I be able to apply?
A simple application will be available online at HERE or by telephone at 1 (877) 207-3170
No applications will be accepted by mail, email or fax; this includes contacts made to Municipal Services Bureau or the Department of Public Safety
No applications will be accepted by DPS

How much will I have to pay under Amnesty?
Your surcharge amounts will be reduced to 10% of the original amount owed for all of your surcharges combined
The maximum amount to pay will be $250
Service fees will still apply to the reduced amount
Any payments made prior to the Amnesty Program will be applied to the reduced amount
If prior payments are more than the reduced amount owed, no payment will be required
Prior payments that are more than the reduced amount owed will not be refunded

What else do I need to do?
Once your online or telephone application is approved, the surcharge suspensions will be cleared on your driving record within 3 business days.
During the application process, you will be provided the reduced amount to pay and can begin making payments after 3 business days.
A letter will also be mailed to you confirming your approval and providing the reduced amount to pay and the final date that the payment must be received
If you make partial payments, reminder notices will not be sent, but you can check your remaining Amnesty balance 24/7 online at www.txsurchargeonline.com or by telephone at 1 (877) 207-3170
If payment in full is not received by April 17, 2011, the Amnesty reduction is voided, all surcharge balances revert to the amounts owed prior to Amnesty, and the suspensions are put back on the driving record.

Just passin on the info.

Old 01-27-11, 12:59 PM
2IS350DT
Driver

damn.. this would apply to me if the unpaid surcharge period was till last year lol.

I am happy for the others tho.
Old 01-27-11, 01:04 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AH,I see the God given freedom for unrestricted travel is still a Constitutional right......if you can pay their "fees".

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit at will, but a common right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson v. Smith, 154 SE 179.
Old 01-28-11, 09:53 AM
fbarbarosa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
AH,I see the God given freedom for unrestricted travel is still a Constitutional right......if you can pay their "fees".

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit at will, but a common right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson v. Smith, 154 SE 179.
Let me break it to you kindly, generally the courts give no weight to the Declaration of Independence. It is a sentiment and not a fundamental law. The Constitution says nothing about automobiles.

Anyway hats off to scoff laws, dangerous, and illegal drivers. Personally, I would vote to confiscate and sell the cars of some offenders; drunk and drugged come to mind as do street racers and those who drive without a license. Minor speeding would get a pass.