NON-Lexus vehicles for sale This sub-forum is where all vehicles that are not made by Lexus should be posted. Members only, NO DEALERS ALLOWED.

TX Track & Show Ready Miata

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 12:42 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track & Show Ready Miata

It's come time to move on to the next project. My Miata is for sale. There is a LOT of work done to this car. Too much to list in detail so I will cover the bases and any seriously interested parties are more than welcome to shoot the breeze with me over the phone or in person for the full story.

1999 Miata - Popular Equipment Package + Leather Package (That's how it came from the factory. Much different now)

Factory Torsen LSD
Factory Power Windows, Power Mirrors and Cruise control
No ABS

BRP MP62 Supercharger @ 12psi
350cc injectors (also have 550s if you want them)
Track Dog Racing Intercooler
GReddy eManage Ultimate
Jackson Racing Headers
Racing Beat from the headers back - catless midpipe
220whp

Compression test performed last week - 185 across the board. Perfectly healthy. Recently given a full mechanical once-over at Track Dog Racing and has a clean bill of health and a fresh tune on the eManage Ultimate done by Gary. Engine has 139k miles on it.

Tein Basic coilovers
Rota Grid Offroad - 16x8 +20 with 215-40 Maxxis MA-Z1 tires. Very little mileage on the tires. 85-90% tread left. These tires never saw track time. I had separate wheels for that.
Racing Beat sway bars (adjustable rear)
PPF reinforcement
Poly rear diff carrier bushings

Fully resprayed almost 2 years ago. Fully documented here: http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=19094

Not daily driven since the respray. Garaged and covered - taken out only on weekends for misc. autocross and HPDE days. The paint is in very good condition. Some minor rock chips on the front bumper is about the extent of it. Otherwise, it looks pristine. Gets compliments everywhere. Car shows, gas stations, red lights, even had a random dude shout props at me from a 993 turbo on Northwest highway at 45mph one night.

Factory "large" side skirts. Factory "small" mud flaps. Original JDM Garage Vary front lip and eyelids.

August 2011 calendar car in the ClubRoadster.net calendar: http://www.cafepress.com/clubroadster
RoadsterGarage Roadster of the Week: http://roadstergarage.net/2010/08/ro...vens-nb-miata/
Was about to be featured in Miata Journal before it went under :thumpdown:

Interior was fully replaced with that from a 2005 Mazdaspeed GT with 25k miles on it. Dash, carpets, seats, console, everything. So...inside is just as clean and pristine as the outside. Custom design gauge cluster designed by me and produced my RevLimiter.net

That's a really good overview. Interested parties can feel free to give me a call at 469- eight seven nine -046 six. Or email durmans [at] grandecom [dot] net

Asking price is $13,250. You can't build a Miata like this for twice that.

Pics:

Old 02-24-11, 11:43 AM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh my lanta! car is sick bro. glws!
Old 02-24-11, 11:58 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Thanks, man!
Old 02-26-11, 12:49 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best Miata EVER!!!!!! Hot dam I wish I had some extra cash. This car is hot. I've never driven one of these, it looks like a lot of fun. I could DD this car all day long.

GLWS. Someone is gonna be very lucky. I'm sure it will go to a good home.
Old 02-27-11, 01:03 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, this car is right up my alley. Been looking for something like this for a long time. I was hoping for a project to build myself but you've built this car exactly the way I would have. Very temping to buy a turn-key car.

Would be a great companion to the turbo SC 5MT which is built essentially to the same level of dedication as your NB.

Sucks I am so far away.

Got any vids of the car in action? Maybe some laps, or just some driving vids? To get an idea of how she sounds/drives, etc?

Beautiful build, sir. Very tempting.
Old 02-27-11, 01:34 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Here are a couple autocross videos. Don't have any from the track since I wasn't motivated enough to bring my Flip camera to the last HPDE I went to.

The jingling sound is the passenger seat 5 point harness (no longer with the car). It's shaky because the camera was mounted directly to the passenger side fixed back Sparco seat (also no longer with the car)

Both runs are on street tires - not the R-comps I have been using for the past couple years.

http://www.vimeo.com/6146702
http://www.vimeo.com/3699598

This video is on the R-Comps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS4a5tCWNFQ

Here's an ///M5 that caught me in lap traffic at a recent HPDE. My car was on an awful tune and only making about 185whp at the time. He never would have made it past me if it was running like it does now. Once he passed me I was in his trunk for the rest of the session. He'd pull away from me coming onto the straights but I'd push him through the turns in a big way. He technically should have let me past.

You can catch a glimpse of me about 9:00 in to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou9gtiN3vSA

I point him by in the midst of lap traffic at 2:15 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egr8m...eature=related

I followed him past the other Miata and the LeMons MR2. He never got more than 5-6 carlengths ahead of me in the straights. Like I said...I was pushing him through the turns.

This suuuper-corny video is from shortly after the car was supercharged. Really old video when it still had RP-F1 wheels and the tan interior. Pre-paintjob. It's the only video that I have that shows the car in action from a third-person perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=remfHOq--QI

The car sounds a bit meaner now with the catless midpipe.
Old 03-01-11, 08:58 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Nice vids.

Do you still have the soft top in it?

Any rubbing with aggressive street driving on that setup?

Anything that needs attention? Or completely turn-key?

Is it reliable for the street or high maintenance in any respect?
Old 03-01-11, 09:12 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Soft top is completely gone. Lots of storage space on the parcel shelf now

Minor amounts of rubbing right now because I have to use 3mm spacers to get the Rotas to clear the front brake calipers. I will be modifying the wheels to fit without spacers. At that point there will be zero rubbing. I actually drove the car last night and didn't get any rubbing at all. My buddy was out with me in his brand new Cayman and we had some fun. So I wasn't exactly babying it. The rubbing is very minor and temporary.

It's completely turn-key. Nothing needs immediate attention. I would recommend the next owner consider doing suspension bushings some time in the next year or so. Those are getting a little old. Otherwise it's ready to roll.

It's completely reliable for street. I daily drove it supercharged for 2 years with nothing but very regular oil changes. Never gave me a stitch of trouble. The timing belt was done at 120k miles. So that doesn't need to be touched for quite a while. Coolant was done with the upgraded radiator last year. The only maintenance it needs is regular oil changes, trans/diff fluid change once a year. Brake fluid change whenever it starts looking murky. The usual stuff.
Old 03-02-11, 01:19 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Sounds good....

Being this is a track car, have any of the factory safety measures been modified or removed? Airbags all working and unmodified? What about the stock seat belts? Can they be used with the Sparcos?

How old is the clutch? How much longer do you expect it to last in normal to spirited street driving? Was the rear main seal changed when you installed it? How's that clutch on the ol' left leg?

Any leaks to speak of?

What kind of maintenance is required on the s/c? Did you keep up with the oil changes on it? Will it need an overhaul soon? How's the belt? Got the p/n for it for ordering replacements?

Exactly what mods are you going to do to the wheels? Grinding at them is frowned upon but I see you do things right so I was curious what you had planned.

Are the brakes factory, or upgraded in any way?

What are the three gauges in the center console?

How's the tranny shift? Any grinding or worn synchros?

Wow I started this post with 2 questions and look what happened.

Feel free to tell me to STHU.
Old 03-02-11, 01:37 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I miss my old supercharged miata some times, fun little cars.
Old 03-02-11, 01:37 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "track car". It's a track-ready car. trust me...if you saw it in person you'd have a hard time believing it ever spent time on a track. It's too pretty

Driver's side airbag is removed. There's a Nardi deep corn 330mm wheel on it now with a quick release. I hate airbags and when you have a 5-point harness all they do is take your hands off the steering wheel when it's most important for them to be ON the steering wheel.

The car has properly installed eyes for clip-in harnesses on both the driver and passenger side. That said, I'm not selling the harness or the Sparco seats with the car. The passenger side seat and harness are long gone and I've got a guy locally buying the driver's side setup.

The factory seatbelts function well and they work with the stock Mazdaspeed Miata GT seats (black leather with red stitching).

Clutch is as old as the supercharger. It's still strong, does not slip at all. It's a Spec stage 2. Flywheel is factory flywheel lightened a bit. If you track the car a lot you'll probably need a new clutch after another season of HPDE's. For daily driving it'll last a couple more years at least. I'm 99% sure the rear main seal was done when it was installed. I can verify with Track Dog Racing (assuming even they will remember. This was back in 2007) Clutch effort is close to stock...just slightly more firm. Throttle, on the other hand, is a bit touchy and takes getting used to since it's got a larger, upgraded TB.

No leaks.

The S/C has a fresh coupler and oil in it along with the needle bearings greased. That's very recent. The only maintenence it requires is making sure the oil doesn't run dry and - if it starts making too much noise, change the coupler. Of course they all eventually need a rebuild and that runs $400 or so.

The wheels need about .5mm of material removed from the edge of the mounting pad. Very, very minor stuff and common for guys in Miatas who run these. It's such a small amount of material and so close to the center of mass that there's almost no way to throw the wheel out of balance doing it unless you hire a gorilla with a jackhammer.

Brakes are factory '99 brakes with Hawk HP+ pads and Motul fluid. I think I mentioned earlier (too lazy to scroll up) that the next owner would find an opportunity to upgrade here. All it really would need is some stainless lines. The stock brakes are more than capable of hauling all ~2300lbs to a halt. But there are a large variety of cheap "big brake kits" for Miatas with 4pot calipers and the like. They would look awesome and would stop even better. For extended lapping sessions they may even be necessary to reduce fade. I've never noticed the brakes fading...but I have only been out to a couple HPDE's and they were fairly recreational and not very hardcore.

Gauges are Boost, Oil Temp and Wideband O2. All Autometer Sport Comp. The photo is old and may have a narrowband O2 gauge instead of the wideband.

Tranny is like butter. No grinding at all. No worn synchros. Regularly changed with Mobil 1 fluid.

I welcome any and all questions!
Old 03-02-11, 01:57 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Awesome responses, thanks.

Got pics of the car as is sits now, namely the interior? I'd like to see how it currently sits. Also some non-glamour shots of the entire car would be great if you have them.

Is the hard top easily removable for sunny days?
Old 03-02-11, 02:11 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

I'll take some pics this weekend. The most recent pics I have are the ones posted. Don't have any of the current interior. Suffice to say - it's way sexier than the old one. The old dash was a black/tan dash with the tan parts painted black. The new dash is all black from the factory. The seats are black with red stitching as is the shift boot and steering wheel. Sexy stuff.

Hard top comes off in 1 minute. Easiest with 2 people to avoid scratching anything. There are hoists you can get for your garage that help make removal and storage a one-man job.
Old 03-08-11, 01:13 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Did we get any pics taken over the weekend?
Old 03-08-11, 01:16 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Better. I took a video. Thanks for reminding me. I'll pull it off my phone now.

EDIT: Here it is. Crappy quality since I took it with my phone while my cousin ran into the house for a sec. But it's a full 360 walk-around of the car.

I need to take more pics of the interior when it stops raining. Getting lots of requests for those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5P_6651OsU

Last edited by mk2tmr2; 03-08-11 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: TX Track & Show Ready Miata