NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Do NOT buy from MD-JDM Motors in Gaithersburg, MD

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 09:33 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do NOT buy from MD-JDM Motors in Gaithersburg, MD

This may be a long post... I'll try to keep it as short as possible, but it's important for anyone thinking about doing business with them... here's my story:

I was looking for a local shop that sells 2JZGTE motors for my SC300, and Omar (many of you know him on here), recommended me to their shop after he purchased a motor from them and had a good experience. Him and I both went to the shops and the ones they had in stock were not really in the best condition, so we waited for their next container and one of the motors was in pretty good shape so we bought it... after doing compression tests and all that.

Upon receiving the motor, Omar noticed that the twin turbos were blown and filled with oil, many sensors were broken (knock sensor, oil sensor, etc.). Several of these parts had to be sourced and found before installation of the motor along with normal maintenance while it's out (timing belt, water pump, plugs, new clutch for the transmission, etc.). After taking some time to receive these parts and install them, the motor was finally installed and the car was up and running.

The car was driving fine and everything was smooth... for 6 days. The day after it was installed, I drove up to the shop to show them how it's running and that I was happy, and I went up there to pick up an exhaust from them. The next day I was driving home and some clacking noise was coming from under the hood... sounded like a spun bearing. I called Omar up and he checked it out and he said the same thing. The car was babied during this period as there's a new clutch and I was taking it easy since it was only the first few days of the install. We called the shop up and they said they don't have any 2JZGTE (non VVTi) motors in and when they get one, they'll call me and let me know and "take care of me". I asked the guy there what that meant and he said I can come in and give them my motor and they'll take the old one. He told me to wait a month... which ended up being 2 months until they finally got the motor in stock, and they only received one of them, since they are hard to find now in Japan.

I was calling the shop every week after those 30 days to see if they got it, and when they did, they said I had to wait till the store owner arrives in order to handle this process. When he finally came back from out of town, he told me I was out of their 30 day warranty (which is 30 days from the date of purchase, not from the date of install). They actually knew when I installed the motor too since I went in there the day after the install and he was asking me when I got it up and running and all that. So after spending $2200 on the motor, $400 on new turbos, sensors, etc.... they wouldn't do ANYTHING for me....

Their advice to me was to install the motor right when you receive it so you can take advantage of the warranty, which is the biggest load of crap because the time invested in refurbishing the junk they sell you in order to prevent headaches and maintenance in the future, comes back to haunt you as your time expires for their BS warranty.

All in all, I'm not very happy and I would love to save my fellow ClubLexus members the headache of dealing with a shady shop like them. They are new to the game and probably won't last very long if they deal with their customers like this.
The following users liked this post:
nicknack69 (11-23-20)
Old 11-20-13, 08:02 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn that Sucks that you pretty much bought a paper weight. I saw Omar post on fb a few days ago about this. Hopefully everything works out for you. Most places have a 30 day warrant from the time of purchase. At least they could of helped you out or at least discounted a new motor. That's why im thinking when I go 1j im going to buy everything first so when I but the motor and install so if anything I will be in my 30days.
Old 11-21-13, 03:54 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 4AGE 20V from JEI in Manassa, Va. Got a douche vibe from them... and the warranty...

These people don't want to hand out warranties of any kind which I could understand for the motors being used. But considering every importer always say they guarantee the engines are less than x miles and were running prior.... We don't know if these engines coming in are engines from a car that had been drowned in water, abused, neglected, in a wreck...

My best advice, do a rebuild. Tear it down. Or have a shop do it. It'll cost more than what you'd want but it's worth it if you want something to be as reliable as it should be.
nicknack69 (11-23-20)
Old 11-21-13, 12:36 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Horror story. I read Omars post on FB the other day. To be honest, this is why I'm sticking with my GE and going NA-T.
Old 11-24-13, 06:34 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAzn
These people don't want to hand out warranties of any kind which I could understand for the motors being used. But considering every importer always say they guarantee the engines are less than x miles and were running prior.... We don't know if these engines coming in are engines from a car that had been drowned in water, abused, neglected, in a wreck...

My best advice, do a rebuild. Tear it down. Or have a shop do it. It'll cost more than what you'd want but it's worth it if you want something to be as reliable as it should be.
Best advice given. ^

You have no idea on the history of these used motors. If you decide to install without rebuilding you are taking a chance. I have no idea who either of you are so my response has zero influence.
Old 11-25-13, 06:30 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ls400RR
I like how the owner of the shop used his other account to post that wall post from Facebook. You guys want to know why you can't see it? Because everyone on there was taking my side after they found out the whole story and the shop looked bad so they deleted their whole Facebook page. If they had nothing to hide, why would they delete it?
Old 11-25-13, 11:33 PM
qbcsvt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn thats messed up. IDK how these shops even gaurantee these motors. They should really offer a whole rebuild in house to actually be able to back their words up. Of course there is going to be parts missing and needing replacement and that takes time.
Old 11-26-13, 08:35 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He is out of here , He is Bryan from MDJDM, We don't need those type of people here.

They basically told you to go hell , and they won't do nothing for you AND when everyone on FB realized how screwed that was and how they basically screwed you over , they closed their FB account the very next day.
Old 11-26-13, 10:05 AM
is3wagon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a shop and if that were my sale, i would rebuilt it for cost, no labor, so you would be happy.Then I would feel a little better. I have wasted hours, not because it was my screw up, just to please my customers. Happy customers always come back and they trust you. Its time for you to build a fresh motor. Good luck. Bty, its great how losers can be found and removed from this site. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-02-13, 01:49 PM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is3wagon
I owned a shop and if that were my sale, i would rebuilt it for cost, no labor, so you would be happy.Then I would feel a little better. I have wasted hours, not because it was my screw up, just to please my customers. Happy customers always come back and they trust you. Its time for you to build a fresh motor. Good luck. Bty, its great how losers can be found and removed from this site. Keep up the good work.
Yeah, unfortunately... they figured it was better for them to burn their bridges instead of working with me and keeping their name clean. For a new business like them, it was a poor decision, and they'll face the consequences in their business with it. Unfortunately for me, I'm out of the money I spent getting this motor built up right, but it does make me feel a little better that they deleted their page because of the fear of people finding out who they are.
nicknack69 (11-23-20)