NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

NJ Emissions Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 12:45 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default NJ Emissions Inspection

So almost 2 years ago I had aftermarket OBX headers installed on my 2001 GS300. As most of you know, NJ changed their inspections to emissions only a little while back. So finally 2 years later it came time for me to get my bi-annual inspection. I was dreading the day for the whole month of June, putting it off as long as I could. I knew that my car had the 2 catalytic converters on the OEM header and one underneath the car but was still skeptical if it would pass. The whole time I've had the headers I've never gotten a CEL because of them so I that gave me some hope. So finally yesterday I decided to take my car in for the inspection and thank God in a matter of minutes I got my new orange () inspection sticker and I'm good for 2 more years.

The reason I'm starting this thread is just in case anyone is wondering, like I was, if your car will pass emissions inspection with aftermarket headers. Just keep in mind my car is a 2001 GS300 and the headers are OBX with all the stock O2 sensors in place, no modifications to any of the sensors. I can't attest to whether your car would pass inspection if it's a different aftermarket header, a different year or different model GS. Hope this helps you guys out.
Old 06-29-13, 08:29 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

so my question is do u have cats underneath cuz if they do a visual u would of failed. i have no cats so depending on your answer i might go or put back my stock exhaust as it has cats. i also have aftermarket headers and exhaust but no cel or check engine light.
Old 06-30-13, 05:58 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
so my question is do u have cats underneath cuz if they do a visual u would of failed. i have no cats so depending on your answer i might go or put back my stock exhaust as it has cats. i also have aftermarket headers and exhaust but no cel or check engine light.
My car had a total of 3 cats. The 2 on the header and one underneath the car. The ones I removed were the 2 on the header when I replaced the header, so I still have the one underneath the car. If you don't have any then you are sure to fail. They do check to see if you have a cat and if it's not visible they will fail you. I would say get one of those Magnaflow cats and put it underneath or just put your stock one back on.
Old 07-01-13, 05:48 AM
chubz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
So almost 2 years ago I had aftermarket OBX headers installed on my 2001 GS300. As most of you know, NJ changed their inspections to emissions only a little while back. So finally 2 years later it came time for me to get my bi-annual inspection. I was dreading the day for the whole month of June, putting it off as long as I could. I knew that my car had the 2 catalytic converters on the OEM header and one underneath the car but was still skeptical if it would pass. The whole time I've had the headers I've never gotten a CEL because of them so I that gave me some hope. So finally yesterday I decided to take my car in for the inspection and thank God in a matter of minutes I got my new orange () inspection sticker and I'm good for 2 more years.

The reason I'm starting this thread is just in case anyone is wondering, like I was, if your car will pass emissions inspection with aftermarket headers. Just keep in mind my car is a 2001 GS300 and the headers are OBX with all the stock O2 sensors in place, no modifications to any of the sensors. I can't attest to whether your car would pass inspection if it's a different aftermarket header, a different year or different model GS. Hope this helps you guys out.

did you have to use a defouler or did you just throw them straight on?
Old 07-01-13, 01:45 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chubz
did you have to use a defouler or did you just throw them straight on?
Now that you mention it, there is a defouler installed. I didn't remember because it came with the headers from the previous owner and my mechanic installed the headers.