NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Potential Move to NJ - Good Neighborhoods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 11:03 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts
Default Potential Move to NJ - Good Neighborhoods?

Hi All,

So I recently got a job offer that I'm considering that would move me from So Cal to NJ. The company is located in New Brunswick and I was hoping you guys could offer some advice for neighborhoods to consider. I don't want to be too far from the new gig but safety and schools are my top 2 criteria.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-13, 03:31 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

congratz on the move...new brunswick is pretty big...it all depends on what neighborhood ur looking for...hope ur bringing ur is350 with u and be prepared to get some snow tires for the winter...im not local to the area but im sure bernard can help u...
Old 03-05-13, 05:36 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Do you have kids?

Edison is a great place, it's one of the top ten places to live in the United States and the school's are fantastic.

http://money.usnews.com/money/person...s-to-grow-up/7
Old 03-05-13, 06:16 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
congratz on the move...new brunswick is pretty big...it all depends on what neighborhood ur looking for...hope ur bringing ur is350 with u and be prepared to get some snow tires for the winter...im not local to the area but im sure bernard can help u...
I'm really open to any neighborhood. I figure as long as the schools are good and the area is safe I'm good with it. Still debating on whether or not to bring the 350. Concerns about the snow + salt combo might lead me to just lease something with AWD. Some good deals on 535xi's

Originally Posted by hypervish
Do you have kids?

Edison is a great place, it's one of the top ten places to live in the United States and the school's are fantastic.

http://money.usnews.com/money/person...s-to-grow-up/7
Cool thanks for the lead! I've also heard good things about Hillsborough and South Brunswick. How would they compare to Edison?
Old 03-05-13, 06:45 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'm really open to any neighborhood. I figure as long as the schools are good and the area is safe I'm good with it. Still debating on whether or not to bring the 350. Concerns about the snow + salt combo might lead me to just lease something with AWD. Some good deals on 535xi's

Cool thanks for the lead! I've also heard good things about Hillsborough and South Brunswick. How would they compare to Edison?
Hillsborough is more open and much lower population compared to Edison. South Brunswick also has much lower population than Edison.

You may also want to look into Bridgewater, they also have excellent schools right on par with Edison.
Old 03-06-13, 05:25 AM
chubz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bridgewater is a pretty nice area. i have a few friends who live down there. another plus is rt22 which runs through bridgewater has alot of stores and stuff so everything you need is pretty close.
Old 03-06-13, 05:26 AM
chubz
Lead Lap

what part of so cal are you from? thats one of the places i want to move to in the future. im tired of this cold weather.
Old 03-06-13, 09:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Thanks folks I'll explore the areas. Luckily I have a relo package that will fly me out and have an agent show me around the area.

Chubz, I'm coming from North OC, the Fullerton/Placentia area. Nice, but housing is expensive
Old 03-06-13, 11:06 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Thanks folks I'll explore the areas. Luckily I have a relo package that will fly me out and have an agent show me around the area.

Chubz, I'm coming from North OC, the Fullerton/Placentia area. Nice, but housing is expensive
nice...I grew up in orange in OC California...next to Santa Ana. u might miss California once u come to the east coast. it took me some time to get use to...as far as the 350 i think a good set of snow tires would be good for your car...I'm driving my F in the snow...
Old 03-06-13, 02:27 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

How has the transition been as a whole? I'm bit worried about the colder weather, but I figure I can deal with it for at least a few years. Does Central Jersey get a lot of snow? Also, how do you guys deal with the road salt?
Old 03-06-13, 02:54 PM
chubz
Lead Lap

its usually north jersey that gets hit hard. as far as salt goes we just wash our cars lol. if you get a house with a nice drive way you can wash it when you feel like but once you hit the road and its still wet there will me more salt.
Old 03-06-13, 04:34 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

How has the transition been as a whole? I'm bit worried about the colder weather, but I figure I can deal with it for at least a few years. Does Central Jersey get a lot of snow? Also, how do you guys deal with the road salt?
Central Jersey generally doesn't get much snow. We are expecting 1-3 inches tonight. We may occasionally get a storm that drops half a foot to a foot, generally only one large storm such as "Nemo".

Wash the cars often and salt isn't a big issue.
Old 03-07-13, 07:28 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

the salt it not much to worry about if u wash your car...the transition as a whole was a bit hard for me at the time because I was young and had no friends at the time and the city life. it might be easier for you since your older but for the kids, if you have any, its a bit to get use. i'm sure if you pick a nice area the transition would be easier for u.
Old 03-07-13, 07:34 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for Edison. You basically have everything you need from Costco, malls, etc within a 10 minute drive. Neighborhood is good and mostly professionals. Plenty of great authentic asian food too if you enjoy that
Old 03-14-13, 05:57 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

I grew up in Piscataway, which is right next door to New Brunswick. I'd definitely say that Piscataway, Edison, Hillsborough, South Brunswick, parts of North Brunswick, and some parts of Franklin are the places that surround New Brunswick and are good places to live. Additionally, all those towns/cities are on Route 1, major thoroughfare and easy to get almost anywhere in NJ from there (Parkway and Turnpike all connect right there). Traffic can be an issue sometimes, but nothing like SoCal (went there last month, WOW talk about gridlock...)

Stay away from South Plainfield and Plainfield for living purposes lol.

Quick Reply: Potential Move to NJ - Good Neighborhoods?