NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

NELOC 2013 Redemption

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 08:33 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its good to see everyone trying to get it back together again. I used to go to a lot of NELOC meets but its been getting tougher and tougher when the people I've met and became friends with start to drop off one by one. We used to do mini meets after NELOC meets at my house and stuff

Nothing builds friendship more than a caravan, meet, food, and some sight seeing--we should be rotating meeting locations more often and getting people motivated to go. Also helps to organize caravans that picks up the folks that aren't really close by. Meeting in CNJ so often means I miss out on caravans lol

Lastly, I do not use fb just because I am at the age of my professional life where fb will be more a liability than its worth whether its pictures of my friends doing things young people do, saying immature stuff, or showing off pictures of car etc.
Old 03-28-13, 09:02 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Speak of the Devil - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nel...et-up-cnj.html

Oh and Mikez is old
Old 03-28-13, 03:19 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting grey hairs already
Old 05-18-13, 05:06 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Are their ever any meets in the New England area? I have only had the pleasure of meeting one member so far, and would like to meet more. I met V and I think he is the only other is-f owner in RI
Old 05-21-13, 07:16 AM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the things that has not been mentioned by anyone is that at NELOC's height and when we went to all the events and were invited to every event there was is that we were all more than casual friends. The core group of NELOCers would hangout with each other every week; sometimes several times each week. These events actually had very little to do with the cars. For example; we would do BBQs, Super Bowl parties, go karting, lunches, and happy hours. The majority of car events were actually little to do with cars as well. We would all attend but it was always more about hanging out with our friends than doing the car events.

The issues that NELOC is having is NOT because there are enough meets and get togethers. These issues are directly related to the following.

1. Facebook: when facebook started as a mainstream form of communication and NELOC opened their own page it started drawing people from the Forum.

2. Lack of organization: from what I have seen those that are organizing events are organizing what they want to do and when they want to do it rather than trying to make the event work for all that may want to attend. If you are looking for a large turnout on a Saturday for example and most people are only available on Sunday this is not going to work.

3. Events: The organizers of the events and meets are not familiar with the events that are worth going to and which ones are not. In addition there is usually not enough time for many of the members to plan for the major events that are key for the group. In addition, there was always a complete list of events available for all to see for the show season and an information and attendance thread when the time was appropriate. There are now attendance threads but quite often they do not get posted early enough.

4. Aftermath: As far as after the events that we would attend we would always put up a specific thread posting the pictures from it. We would do this religiously. This makes it easy to see what people may have missed or enables those that have attended the ability to post in the forum about what happened.

5. Cross Marketing: I am quite positive that the majority of NELOCers visit other forums and sites. One of the most important things that we ALWAYS did was include other forums and sites. For example: we always worked well with www.isfanatics.com and my.is. Each of these sites have actually turned out some of the clubs best members. This is crucial to growing the club. This enables those that are visitors to only these sites to spread the word about NELOC and maybe even come check out our subforum on ClubLexus.

As you guys can see I have quite a list here that shows some of the things that NELOC is missing. If there are any questions that need to be answered I am more than willing to help. I unfortunately do not live in Baltimore any longer but I would like to attend some events that make sense for me and my wife. As it stands now there is not enough going on to do so. I am more than willing to help where I can.

I will aways have a place for NELOC in my heart.

Old 05-21-13, 07:45 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well put sir.

I seen the rise and fall of several forum events over the years. I attended the first ever STC-TOTD rally and the second year there were a few major injuries and each year since they got smaller and smaller till last year there was no rally at all.

The same thing has happened to the RX7 club, as the organizers always shoot for early spring which for most tuners is bad as thats when they begin tuning their cars.

What I have found from both attending such events and from organizing a few is that late summer is always better for bigger turnouts, and that it needs to be set up darn near 6 months out to get the best show up. I also found out that 3 day events go way further than a single day event as this gives members an opportunity to do more than what they (as individuals) normally would do.

The last part is location. The ISF group that went to dover had very little to do as the location (dover, DE) wasnt the best for activities, but it did offer a unique view of the racetrack etc. When planning events it is always good to plan at a site that offers more than automotive fun. This is why Im a huge fan of Deals Gap, sure you can spend 7am-11am running the dragon but you could go hiking for the rest of the afternoon and retire to your cabin at night (bonfires are popular too)

I for one would love to see an event in New Castle, DE or Wilmington as there is a ton of stuff to do in northenr DE (compared to Dover). I will attempt to attend an event this summer but with my schedule it isnt looing good this year.
Old 05-21-13, 10:52 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieIS
One of the things that has not been mentioned by anyone is that at NELOC's height and when we went to all the events and were invited to every event there was is that we were all more than casual friends. The core group of NELOCers would hangout with each other every week; sometimes several times each week. These events actually had very little to do with the cars. For example; we would do BBQs, Super Bowl parties, go karting, lunches, and happy hours. The majority of car events were actually little to do with cars as well. We would all attend but it was always more about hanging out with our friends than doing the car events.

The issues that NELOC is having is NOT because there are enough meets and get togethers. These issues are directly related to the following.

1. Facebook: when facebook started as a mainstream form of communication and NELOC opened their own page it started drawing people from the Forum.

2. Lack of organization: from what I have seen those that are organizing events are organizing what they want to do and when they want to do it rather than trying to make the event work for all that may want to attend. If you are looking for a large turnout on a Saturday for example and most people are only available on Sunday this is not going to work.

3. Events: The organizers of the events and meets are not familiar with the events that are worth going to and which ones are not. In addition there is usually not enough time for many of the members to plan for the major events that are key for the group. In addition, there was always a complete list of events available for all to see for the show season and an information and attendance thread when the time was appropriate. There are now attendance threads but quite often they do not get posted early enough.

4. Aftermath: As far as after the events that we would attend we would always put up a specific thread posting the pictures from it. We would do this religiously. This makes it easy to see what people may have missed or enables those that have attended the ability to post in the forum about what happened.

5. Cross Marketing: I am quite positive that the majority of NELOCers visit other forums and sites. One of the most important things that we ALWAYS did was include other forums and sites. For example: we always worked well with www.isfanatics.com and my.is. Each of these sites have actually turned out some of the clubs best members. This is crucial to growing the club. This enables those that are visitors to only these sites to spread the word about NELOC and maybe even come check out our subforum on ClubLexus.

As you guys can see I have quite a list here that shows some of the things that NELOC is missing. If there are any questions that need to be answered I am more than willing to help. I unfortunately do not live in Baltimore any longer but I would like to attend some events that make sense for me and my wife. As it stands now there is not enough going on to do so. I am more than willing to help where I can.

I will aways have a place for NELOC in my heart.

I 100% agree with you on this and we need more ppl to post on the forums and instead on Facebook. There is no dedication anymore. I mean there are ppl that is trying to bring NELOC back(lowkut) with setting up meets and what not. Im also here to help as much as i can as well. Our last few meet and greets i think personally was a good turnout. Hopefully we can start getting people that take the pictures to post them up and not take forever with posting them on here instead of facebook. Its good to see some of of the older members starting to post again on the forums Im looking forward to the NY Meet coming up along with the other meets.
Old 05-21-13, 03:26 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am on a tight schedule today, but I just have to throw my two cents in really quick.

Some may blame Facebook as much as they want, one important thing that must be said. NELOC was going downhill before FB came into play. When the folks from NELOC branched out and started their own little clicks and crew that is when things truly started taken a downwards spiral.

I actually have a completely different view of FB and NELOC. In fact, I can say FB played a major role in the revival on NELOC in 2013. When the forum was almost completely shot dead, people would post on here and no one would respond for days/weeks. It was the NELOC members who started the FB page that would initiate any type of activities on the group which gradually started to migrate slowly on the forum. As new members joined the group activities started to populate more on Club Lexus rather than FB.

I am not promoting Facebook over the forum in anyway, but the reality is FB is what shaped this chapter of what we currently called NELOC on Club Lexus today. Fact of the matter is FB is more easily accessible for most of us as most people lives seems to revolve around it. This is an automotive area of interest if we don't post on the board then the information is pretty much useless as there is no meaningful way to archive anything on FB as we could on a message board.

In closing, I don't see why we can't utilize both (message board & FB) in their own respective manner. We should be able to tell what caused the problem in the past so let us try to divert from that and move forward. Everyone's opinion is valuable, but I strongly believe in socializing in person rather than dictate rules and regulations. We are all adults who should know what is right and what is not. Bottom line is, come out and support the cause in a civilize and humble manner as we did at our last major event in NJ.

One Love,

MARK

Last edited by lowKut; 05-21-13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-21-13, 05:36 PM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowKut
I am on a tight schedule today, but I just have to throw my two cents in really quick.

Some may blame Facebook as much as they want, one important thing that must be said. NELOC was going downhill before FB came into play. When the folks from NELOC branched out and started their own little clicks and crew that is when things truly started taken a downwards spiral.

I actually have a completely different view of FB and NELOC. In fact, I can say FB played a major role in the revival on NELOC in 2013. When the forum was almost completely shot dead, people would post on here and no one would respond for days/weeks. It was the NELOC members who started the FB page that would initiate any type of activities on the group which gradually started to migrate slowly on the forum. As new members joined the group activities started to populate more on Club Lexus rather than FB.

I am not promoting Facebook over the forum in anyway, but the reality is FB is what shaped this chapter of what we currently called NELOC on Club Lexus today. Fact of the matter is FB is more easily accessible for most of us as most people lives seems to revolve around it. This is an automotive area of interest if we don't post on the board then the information is pretty much useless as there is no meaningful way to archive anything on FB as we could on a message board.

In closing, I don't see why we can't utilize both (message board & FB) in their own respective manner. We should be able to tell what caused the problem in the past so let us try to divert from that and move forward. Everyone's opinion is valuable, but I strongly believe in socializing in person rather than dictate rules and regulations. We are all adults who should know what is right and what is not. Bottom line is, come out and support the cause in a civilize and humble manner as we did at our last major event in NJ.

One Love,

MARK
I am confused. Who started the Facebook page. As far as I know it was actually started years ago and those individuals no longer really involve themselves. If there are infact two pages then there is a major issue that needs to be resolved. If the members on the first page are not being communicated to because someone created another page they are being excluded by accident, i assume, and that is not helping the group.
Old 05-21-13, 09:48 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe its only 1 NELOC fb page in which Leroy, Ant, Nate, Jimmy and myself are admin of. I dont think its 2 neloc groups. I do agree with Mark in a way that there have been post on the forum that have been unanswered for weeks and fb post that have been answered in mins.
Old 05-22-13, 09:20 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

here is the thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nel...-facebook.html