NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Experience with local Costco tire place

Old 05-01-12, 05:09 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Experience with local Costco tire place

Just venting out my frustration here...

I have aftermarket rims for my daily driver - non-staggered with 235/40/18. I've driven more than 40k miles on them without any issues.

Now it is time to replace the tires, so I went to Costco yesterday to get Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S. The guy at the counter told me they wont sell me the tires because the car originally comes with staggered setup. I called the manager and he insisted on the same thing. When the discussions were going nowhere, I left angry and frustrated.

I would have preferred to get the tires from Costco since it is very convenient and the price is cheaper than all other places. If I buy those tires online from tire rack or discount tire, the cost is going to be much higher after shipping and installation by local shops. Plus I don't like any of the local shops. I bought my last set from Radial Tire in Silver Spring, but their prices are much higher for this specific tire that I'm buying.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm planning to go to another Costco this evening that's near me and try there. Any advice on what I should say if they also say the same thing?

Any other shop that you would recommend near Columbia, MD? I can't drive too far because I got a flat and the car has a small spare on.
Old 05-01-12, 06:54 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
Just venting out my frustration here...

I have aftermarket rims for my daily driver - non-staggered with 235/40/18. I've driven more than 40k miles on them without any issues.

Now it is time to replace the tires, so I went to Costco yesterday to get Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S. The guy at the counter told me they wont sell me the tires because the car originally comes with staggered setup. I called the manager and he insisted on the same thing. When the discussions were going nowhere, I left angry and frustrated.

I would have preferred to get the tires from Costco since it is very convenient and the price is cheaper than all other places. If I buy those tires online from tire rack or discount tire, the cost is going to be much higher after shipping and installation by local shops. Plus I don't like any of the local shops. I bought my last set from Radial Tire in Silver Spring, but their prices are much higher for this specific tire that I'm buying.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm planning to go to another Costco this evening that's near me and try there. Any advice on what I should say if they also say the same thing?

Any other shop that you would recommend near Columbia, MD? I can't drive too far because I got a flat and the car has a small spare on.

Yeah dude, a lot of these places won't do anything outside of the car's specification because they don't want to be put to blame in the event something happens. I understand where you're coming from, but you have to also understand their corporate policy... that's the way it is and you're just going to have to go elsewhere unfortunately.
Old 05-01-12, 07:24 AM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can try onlinetires.com or tireeasy.com, i have used them in the past and they are a lot cheaper than tirerack. Shipping varies from where the item of the tires are but I have received tires as fast as two days. So its pretty much a hit or miss but should definitely get them within a week.
Old 05-01-12, 07:37 AM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

yea like the other person said ..yea that there policy all over the place i just place a call to my friend who is manager at a costco,,now you didnt here this from me. but if you get good with the tires center guys then that another story anything possible ....hint hint friend ....lol best of luck.. sorry
Old 05-01-12, 08:35 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

I would have accepted it if they had said that this is their company policy.

It seems to vary from person to person. Two days ago when I went there to just check on price and availability, there was someone else who was ready to order these no questions asked.
Old 05-01-12, 08:37 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IS2FIFTY
you can try onlinetires.com or tireeasy.com, i have used them in the past and they are a lot cheaper than tirerack. Shipping varies from where the item of the tires are but I have received tires as fast as two days. So its pretty much a hit or miss but should definitely get them within a week.
Online is a little bit of hassle, plus the local shops are a hit and miss.

I'll give it a try at another Costco first and see how that goes.
Old 05-01-12, 09:02 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Basically they don't want to damage your wheels, look for touchless turner tire shops, so they don't bent ur wheels but you pay lil more.
Old 05-01-12, 09:28 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not about damaging your wheels.

Their policy clearly states they will only install tires authorized for the vehicle by the manufacturer. They aren't a tire shop and don't pretend to be and are just there for oem replacements.

If you really want the tires, then you shoudl find what vehicle matches the tire size you want and order tires for that vehicle without getting them installed at Costco. You can order them online and they have to be picked up at the warehouse and you get $14 back for non-installation.

Can't think of any reason why that wouldn't work for you.
Old 05-01-12, 10:11 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
It's not about damaging your wheels.

Their policy clearly states they will only install tires authorized for the vehicle by the manufacturer. They aren't a tire shop and don't pretend to be and are just there for oem replacements.
I wouldn't have a problem if that sales person stated that it is their policy.
What bugs me is the fact that some of their employees ***** about it and some don't.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
IIf you really want the tires, then you shoudl find what vehicle matches the tire size you want and order tires for that vehicle without getting them installed at Costco. You can order them online and they have to be picked up at the warehouse and you get $14 back for non-installation.

Can't think of any reason why that wouldn't work for you.
Inconvenience.
Old 05-01-12, 10:14 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Screw them. I'm just going to go to Radial Tire in Silver Spring instead.
Had a very pleasant experience with them last time I was there, so it will be worth paying extra and knowing the job will be done right and professionally.
Old 05-01-12, 11:42 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
I wouldn't have a problem if that sales person stated that it is their policy.
What bugs me is the fact that some of their employees ***** about it and some don't.

Inconvenience.
Not trying to start an argument with you but I just don't see where Costco did anything wrong. It is stated on their website and sounds like the first guy told you (albeit in a different format) what the policy was.

Tire Installation Requirements
Costco will only install tires authorized for a specific vehicle. If you are unsure if your purchase is an authorized fitment, contact your local Costco tire center for assistance.

General Notice
The final decision to install a tire on a vehicle will be made by the Costco tire center manager or supervisor. The tire must meet all vehicle manufacturers’ safety standards and specifications.

Non-Installed Tires
If the Costco tire center does not install your tires, you will be refunded $14.00 per tire (plus disposal fee), and any applicable sales tax for your city and state. If you choose not to accept your tires you will receive a full refund for your order, including the $14.00 per tire (plus disposal fee), and any applicable sales tax for your city and state.
Why would it be inconvienient? It's a trade off. You want a cheaper price, then to get it, you simply have to go to google and do a quick search. I just did it and the S4 comes standard with that tire size. It shows that Costco doesn't carry that size in the online inventory.

Calling the store and telling them you want replacement tires for your 05 S4 and seeing if they have it in stock shouldn't take much of an effort.

Either way, good luck in your search.
Old 05-01-12, 11:46 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Just buy them online from a reputable place like tire rack who's a sponsor on this forum I believe. I go to performance shops to have my tires mounted for obvious reasons.