NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Odds of fighting off this speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 05:41 PM
kl323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odds of fighting off this speeding ticket?

So I got my first ticket, ever... after driving for almost 10 years. Anyway, I was clocked going 22 over the limit (45) this morning on the BQE. I was on my way to my shift at the hospital when there was little traffic. Anyway, the ticket said 67mph, but I don't think it's correct since he clocked me right at a turn where I always slow down. But ultimately, it's their word against mine.

As it stands, besides the fine and all, it's going to be 6 points. As a first time violator, with no previous moving/parking violations, what is the best I can do in terms of reducing the damage?

This is an expensive lesson learned, but I REALLY want to cut back on the loss. My dad has had this situation before and had a lawyer. Any other suggestions???

Thanks!!!
Old 10-09-11, 06:39 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to the prosecutor. They are almost always willing to negotiate down. Odds are strong that you can reduce to something MUCH LESS SERIOUS!!!
Old 10-09-11, 06:46 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sup Kent, its gonna be hard to fight that BQE ticket from what my friend told me. he works at a lawyers office and he said he would tell u go to him but doesnt want u to waste ur money. but he did say to keep rescheduling it and bond it then go to court.
Old 10-09-11, 06:53 PM
kl323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Talk to the prosecutor. They are almost always willing to negotiate down. Odds are strong that you can reduce to something MUCH LESS SERIOUS!!!
Hoping for the best outcome!

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
sup Kent, its gonna be hard to fight that BQE ticket from what my friend told me. he works at a lawyers office and he said he would tell u go to him but doesnt want u to waste ur money. but he did say to keep rescheduling it and bond it then go to court.
Hey Joe, any idea why its hard to fight those tickets? One positive note is that I wasn't caught in a work zone...
Old 10-09-11, 07:02 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Joe, why's that so hard in NYC? Just asking.
Old 10-10-11, 12:08 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Joe, why's that so hard in NYC? Just asking.
Because NYC is hard up for money. This ticket will cost a lot of money. It'll be like $180 for the violation. Plus you will have to pay the driver assessment fee which is $300.
Old 10-10-11, 05:50 AM
kl323
Pole Position

Damn. It's probably not going to be easy...
Old 10-10-11, 06:03 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i got out of a 20+ mph ticket one time (not in NY) cuz i showed up in court and told them i was going downhill and was just starting to apply my brakes when the copper had me on radar i got off, no bull.
Old 10-10-11, 07:08 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my friend said that NYC cops are under investigation so they have to win their tickets, thats why its gonna be difficult.
Old 10-10-11, 05:54 PM
ReeM
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kl323
So I got my first ticket, ever... after driving for almost 10 years. Anyway, I was clocked going 22 over the limit (45) this morning on the BQE. I was on my way to my shift at the hospital when there was little traffic. Anyway, the ticket said 67mph, but I don't think it's correct since he clocked me right at a turn where I always slow down. But ultimately, it's their word against mine.

As it stands, besides the fine and all, it's going to be 6 points. As a first time violator, with no previous moving/parking violations, what is the best I can do in terms of reducing the damage?

This is an expensive lesson learned, but I REALLY want to cut back on the loss. My dad has had this situation before and had a lawyer. Any other suggestions???

Thanks!!!
I got a ticket on the Bqe as well. right after a turn. I showed the cop my badge, 2 work ID's and my drivers license. He said i was doing 72 in a 55. He dropped it down to 70 so its 4 points. I hve a lawyer and im going to fight it in december. Its impossible for me to be doing 72 after a turn and especially since it was around the time they were still doing major construction on the bqe earlier this year. Which hospital do you work at btw? Im a Emt @ LICH.
Old 10-10-11, 05:55 PM
ReeM
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oo yea...and I was in uniform so I should win with no problem. And I guess ill talk to the Sgt in my work area Pct. lol
Old 10-10-11, 11:12 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kl323
Damn. It's probably not going to be easy...
Just keep postponing until you have to show up to court. You have two times to postpone so just call the day before your court date and tell them you can't make it, or you can do it online on the dmv's website. On the third date you have to go to court and hope for the best.

True story I did this once got caught 88 in a 35 (testing my Evo don't judge me) and I put it off twice. By the time I had to show up for the third date, it was over a year later and the officer had retired. My luck ticket got thrown out.
Old 10-11-11, 10:12 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
i got out of a 20+ mph ticket one time (not in NY) cuz i showed up in court and told them i was going downhill and was just starting to apply my brakes when the copper had me on radar i got off, no bull.
yea tickets in other states arent hard to get out of but from what i hear NY sucks if you get caught speeding.
Old 10-11-11, 01:09 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my friend said that NYC cops are under investigation so they have to win their tickets, thats why its gonna be difficult.

This is the only truth you have to be concerned about. Postponing will do no good. Just throw yourself on the mercy of the court, do something different, admit you made a mistake, are sorry and learned your lesson. Use the first sentence in your post. it was out of character for you as your driving record will attest. Bring your driving abstract with you if you want.

The cop WILL show for every hearing.

If an officer doesn't show for an hearing, they get docked a vacation day. It's pretty hard to get a ticket these days in the city while that crap is the Bronx is still going on.
Old 10-13-11, 06:11 PM
kl323
Pole Position

Alright, so my plan is to get a lawyer. Pretty much the same strategy there... postpone and postpone some more.

Anyway, for those of you who have dealt with lawyers, what should be mindful of? what should I ask? What's the best way to maximize the utility of hiring a lawyer?

thanks!

Quick Reply: Odds of fighting off this speeding ticket?