NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

My CarPC...and SC430...as featured in the New York Times

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 08:09 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had an air card for the computer, would I be able to access my network with a system like this?
I would be able to get hours of work done while sitting in traffic. I could possibly sell this to my company so the reps in the field that travel have access on more then the Crackberry.
Old 11-02-09, 08:28 PM
ebb100z
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Props to you! Awesome Article.
Old 11-03-09, 11:50 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Big *****
If I had an air card for the computer, would I be able to access my network with a system like this?
I would be able to get hours of work done while sitting in traffic. I could possibly sell this to my company so the reps in the field that travel have access on more then the Crackberry.
Big *****,

It's plain ol' Windows XP Professional underneath so, anything you can do with a "normal" PC, you can do with this...VNC, VPN, RDC, etc.

The thing to keep in mind with it is, you're limited with the smaller-than-average screen (which is why the front-end software has big icons, monster fonts, and simple menus) and simplified input devices.

I mainly use the "Space Navigator" control **** to do most of the navigating through menus, scrolling through lists, selecting audio inputs, etc.

I have a little mini-keyboard installed in the center console, but it's pretty much for "emergency use only"...because it's just so darn tiny.

Some guys use wireless Bluetooth keyboards...so they can have a full-sized keyboard to type on...but then, where do you put it when you're not using it?

Quite a few CarPC guys use AirCards to get Internet access on their CarPC's. I installed an inexpensive WiFi card on my CarPC and my cell phone has the option to act as a WiFi hotspot, so I can get Internet that way, when I want it. The AirCard is the slickest way to do it - the CarPC has a dedicated, always-on Internet connection. Of course, that's a $40.00/month bill just so your car can have Internet access! Ouch (at least for me).

I don't use the Internet on it all that much but, when I need it/want it, it's REALLY nice to have! And, since it's through my smartphone, it's at no additional expense (other than the initial layout of $16.00 for the WiFi card).

The web browser in the front-end software I use is just embedded I.E. so, I have no limitations on what websites can be viewed...YouTube, Hulu, ClubLexus...whatever.

Originally Posted by ebb100z
Big Props to you! Awesome Article.
Thanks!

I had a friend tell me that it was impressive that I got in the NY Times for a GOOD reason. He said it's easy to get in for a bad reason!