NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11, 06:30 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anyusufaly
Hello. I am looking at changing my battery and the cables on a 2006 IS 350. The battery is not a problem to change, but I can't figure out how to change the cables. The negative terminal is corroded so I need to replace it. Please let me know how to go about it. Thanks.

Ali
The negative you can buy from the lexus dealer. ITs just a ground wire that goes from the batter to the body. Thats if you want to keep it looking factory. If you want to go the cheap way go to an auto parts store and pick up 10gauge black wire and a battery terminal and do it that way. IMO just get the dealer replacement.
Old 04-28-11, 06:33 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by usmcxm35
Hey Tach, I just finished my oil change on my RX. The manual calls for 6 quarts of 0W-20, so I went to Autozone picked up 6 quarts and went to Toyota and picked up the filter. As I was bottling the OLD oil, I then realized that I had filled the RX with 1 quart of 0W-20 and 5 quarts of 0W-30. What do I do now, the recommended oil change interval is now 10,000miles in the manual, but I change it every 5. Do I walk to Autozone and buy 6 more quarts or just wait until the next 5,000 miles rolls around? I live in NYC, so this next 5,000 miles will be in summer temperature. Thanks in advance.
You will be ok. If you have an rx350 it takes 6.7 quarts if its a rx300 it will be 6 quarts. And stick with 10w30 for summer and 5w30 for winter. Dont go by what the manual says. It doesnt account for NY harsh winters and summer weather.
Old 04-28-11, 06:35 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by soneencris
Hey Tach,

I have a 92 sc400 that wont rev over 4000rpm. It drives fine till that point, and then I have to shift to the next gear. It alos does it in neutral. I have checked the fuel pump, changed ignition coils, changed the ECU, Have new AFM, and checked the EC1 plug. I have no CEL and I am stuck now. Any advice or leads to try and trouble shoot would be great!

Thanks,
Chaco
Change your spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor and wires. The spark plugs make sure they are gapped to 25
Old 04-28-11, 07:49 PM
usmcxm35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
You will be ok. If you have an rx350 it takes 6.7 quarts if its a rx300 it will be 6 quarts. And stick with 10w30 for summer and 5w30 for winter. Dont go by what the manual says. It doesnt account for NY harsh winters and summer weather.
Thanks Tach, but I couldn't wait any longer. I drained the 0W30 out and threw in 6 quarts of 0W20. I had bought 6 quarts of 0W30 and one quart of 0W20, so I had 7 quarts total. This afternoon I did the oil change without a filter change, so just 6 quarts. My Infiniti mechanic friend tells me that if something were to happen to the engine, and if Lexus really wanted to void the warranty, they could do so, apparently Infiniti is definitely shady like that. I was scared by what this guy said:

Originally Posted by Cruiter
In 2010, the RX series Gen III, got a new engine family for both the 350 and the 450h. They are new low friction engines and also have less driven by belts. For instance the 450h is total electric for the A/C, Power Steering, and throttle and the 350 as well for many things. You no longer have a belt driving the overhead cams, they are internally driven (like Porsche's) with chains which means less maintenance to you.

And; being low friction design they run on 0w20w and running a higher weight oil can and probably will cause you problems. Also 10K between oil changes with normal driving is the recommendation now.
I guess I can throw in some 10W30 the next oil change and the 0W30 back in on the next winter oil change. Thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.
Old 04-28-11, 07:51 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by usmcxm35
Thanks Tach, but I couldn't wait any longer. I drained the 0W30 out and threw in 6 quarts of 0W20. I had bought 6 quarts of 0W30 and one quart of 0W20, so I had 7 quarts total. This afternoon I did the oil change without a filter change, so just 6 quarts. My Infiniti mechanic friend tells me that if something were to happen to the engine, and if Lexus really wanted to void the warranty, they could do so, apparently Infiniti is definitely shady like that. I was scared by what this guy said:

I guess I can throw in some 10W30 the next oil change and the 0W30 back in on the next winter oil change. Thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.
Lexus, Actually cares about their customers its the dealerships that dont give a rats ***. If something were to happen you can call corporate on the matter and they would work with you. But we are jumping the gun on this. You will be ok lol
Old 05-02-11, 07:21 AM
Egviper03
Driver School Candidate

Default Help

I have a 2001 Lexus IS300 that i bought a couple of days ago and its jerking/shuttering while in reverse when none/little depression of the accelerator. any ideas of what it could be? I am new to the Lexus world.
Old 05-02-11, 10:41 AM
lexiegirl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
What alternator did you purchase ? If its not an o.e alternator the aftermarket ones fail quite often. Check all the fuses first; main fuses with the sight glass.
well i just took my car to pepboys to get it fixed. seems to be running ok for now. yet the check engine light is still on. someone said to not worry its just my o2 sensor. should i worry? also my car door keeps on locking by itself. it'll just keep making the clicking noise even after it locks. what is the problem and how do i fix it?
Old 05-02-11, 08:41 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Egviper03
I have a 2001 Lexus IS300 that i bought a couple of days ago and its jerking/shuttering while in reverse when none/little depression of the accelerator. any ideas of what it could be? I am new to the Lexus world.
Try cleaning out the throttle body and checking your air filter. Sometimes lack of air or sticking plate in the TB can cause a stutter. Check your transmission fluid level and color.
Old 05-02-11, 08:42 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexiegirl
well i just took my car to pepboys to get it fixed. seems to be running ok for now. yet the check engine light is still on. someone said to not worry its just my o2 sensor. should i worry? also my car door keeps on locking by itself. it'll just keep making the clicking noise even after it locks. what is the problem and how do i fix it?
02 sensor you should take care of as It will cause your engine to run poorly and give you poor gas mileage. As for the door clicking on/off you have to change out the door lock actuator.
Old 05-03-11, 02:39 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Question about those AC stop leak. Should the AC be vacuum out first then put the stop leak in? Or can I just put stop leak without being vacuum out?
Old 05-03-11, 08:34 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

you can just put it in. Its not very effective though. It eventually leaks out.
Old 05-07-11, 12:28 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to go to your shop and find out how much is it to change all four springs. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-11, 02:36 PM
jc3103
Rookie

Default brake noise

I have a ls460, 2008 bought new. From the start I have heard a very dull clicking, or tapping noise only when I press lightly on the brakes at slow speeds. The brake actuator was replaced about a year ago, and the noise stopped. A few month ago it returned. It is getting worse as time goes by. When I took it to Lexus last month, they said they could not hear the noise, and the car had the updated actuator. As my warranty expires in a few months, I do not want to have an expensive problem later. Has Lexus been experiencing this problem in other cars? What should I do?
Old 05-23-11, 04:30 AM
goodbuds
Driver School Candidate

Mr.Motor, i have an issue with my instrument panel. it wont light up and needles are not moving it started after my positive cable came loose and i had to re adjust and start car. everything else works perfect lheadight, radio navi.
thx
Old 05-25-11, 08:20 AM
flash92sc
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 95 sc300. I want to put. Tannabe lowering springs on it. Can I use the stock struts ? They ate fine but the shop is yelling me I should replace them with aftermarket lowering struts because they might bottom out. Is this true or can I use the stock ones providing they don't come apart during removal. Thanks. Tom

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician