NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 10:59 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubzy
Thank you for the response, I don't currently have the VSS speed sensor wire hooked up, never have. Unless you mean to unplug everything else? I had left it disconnected and everything was fine, but when hooking up the SWIPS i misread purple for pink, and thus I hooked up the SWIPS to the speed sensor wire. I have checked the fuses (both under dash and under the hood).... However, Is there one in particular that it would be... I can definitely double check it. Is it possible that by hooking up the VSS wire to the head unit, it could resolve this issue? Currently I just have the wire capped off and not hooked up to anything at all.

Is there anything in particular that I could take pictures of?
Im trying to understand what you wrote. The speed sensor at this time is un- touched correct ? If you still have the headunit connected to the speed sensor remove it. It may be causing interference.
Old 01-30-11, 11:02 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Percy
Tach,

Welcome back!

98GS400 - how can you tell if the wheel bearings have gone bad? Dealership claims that they spun the wheel on the car and said the wheel was in balance.
Whats up percy, you cant tell if the wheel bearing is bad on the lift unless its the drive wheel. If its a RWD car and the fronts are making noise there is not enough speed you can spin the wheel to determine if its bad.

Drive the car while turning the wheel left and right to determine which side the noise is coming from; while turning you will hear a grinding, rubbing type noise. If its coming from the front I would replace both fronts since one goes bad the other one wouldn't be far off.
Old 01-30-11, 11:04 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Just as an add on... I am unable to set cruise control at this time, is it possibly that this is not available while these lights are on, or is that possibly a speed sensor is bad and that she issue.

Normally these systems are interlinked so if you get a check engine light or vsc light it disables the cruise control for safety.
Old 01-30-11, 11:10 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by baodalazi
what is usually changed for a good tuneup for a 92 sc300 manual with 150k miles? thanks in advance
Im listing components based on the following has not been done ( 90k service )

oil change
spark plugs
plug wires
timing belt
water pump
thermostat
cam seals
front main seal
serpentine belt
t-belt tensioner
idler pulleys
trans flush ( depends on fluid color (( dark do not change, reddish change )) )
rear diff fluid ( gear oil 75w90 gl5)
coolant flush
Old 01-30-11, 06:20 PM
LexmanBLY
Pole Position

Hey how are you, I just had my crank pulley and the O ring on my distributor fixed yesterday, drove the car all day and it was fine. Today when i tried to crank it would'nt start. I changed the battery and checked my ground, but that wasnt the problem. I've never had any problem at all with my starter before so I really dont know else it could be. Got any other ideas?
Old 01-30-11, 08:25 PM
neuman417
Driver School Candidate

Default exhaust bezel are turning black

i own a 2008 ls 460 with 23000 miles the chrome bezels around the both exhaust are turning black any ideas thank you al neuman
Old 01-30-11, 08:54 PM
radiohound
Driver School Candidate

Default CEL Code 13

Hi tach Man:

Thank you for what you do for this community.

Have a 93 100LS with about 160K on it. recently did the deal with the tiing belt, rollers, tensionsioner, WP, everything.

Everything works well for about 5K. Then my CEL came on last week went off a couple of times. I took it to a local service place. They said it was a Code 13 .. Crankshaft Position sensor, according to the service people.

They replaced it, and pronounced it ok. I went to pick it up, started it...no light, and then the light comes back on.

they are telling me its throwing a hard code ...13 again ..and point towards the ECU ....

Everything I read tells me this is the camshaft position sensor ... and they are wrong ...

I cannot afford to have them go on a search and destroy mission until they somehow fix it through blind luck ..

any thoughts or guidance ...

thanks

radiohound

Last edited by radiohound; 01-30-11 at 09:55 PM. Reason: more info provuded.
Old 01-31-11, 05:27 AM
gdigio13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sema52
Hi Tach Motor

I have a 2002 LS 430 with right at 70k. I am the second owner, purchased from a Lexus dealership. My problem: the low oil pressure dash light came on. I had it towed the the dealer where I purchased it, and after several days they called and said it has a sludge problem. To the point of having to replace rings. And suggestions here? They said that although I have changed the oil religiously and had the 60k checkup, that probably the previous owner may have never changed the oil. Which, I find difficult to understand.

Anyway, they said they were going to ask Toyoto for financial help for the repair. And that I might need to call them. I asked what the fee is, for changing the rings, and they said $5,000 for just that.

Do you have any advice for me? Specific questions I should be asking? Anything else I should be doing to keep the fix from being too expensive?

Thanks very much.
The first owners probably had it serviced at Lexus- can't they find any records on the car?

Secondly, I found a former Lexus mechanic that has his own shop in my area. He worked at Lexus for 15 years. He is far better than going to Lexus not just for the labor rate (about 50%) but the fact that he will use aftermarket parts AND he will attempt to fix something before he replaces it. For example my steering column motors were acting up. I took it to Lexus and they told me in no uncertain terms that I needed to replace both motors on my LS430 steering column ($900 for just parts). I took it to the former Lexus employee- he told me that Lexus actually had these problems frequently and they developed a special grease just for the steering column. He applied the grease 3 weeks ago and the problem was solved! Try to google "toyota or lexus mechanic" in your area. I'm sure there is one nearby. Anything Lexus tells you, divide it by 2 and then 2 again and thats what it should cost with a regular mechanic.
Old 01-31-11, 06:40 AM
goaliebill
Rookie

Default Trac control

Thank you. I'll check the connections.
Old 01-31-11, 08:44 AM
Dubzy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
Im trying to understand what you wrote. The speed sensor at this time is un- touched correct ? If you still have the headunit connected to the speed sensor remove it. It may be causing interference.
Correct it is currently untouched
Old 01-31-11, 02:14 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexmanBLY
Hey how are you, I just had my crank pulley and the O ring on my distributor fixed yesterday, drove the car all day and it was fine. Today when i tried to crank it would'nt start. I changed the battery and checked my ground, but that wasnt the problem. I've never had any problem at all with my starter before so I really dont know else it could be. Got any other ideas?
Check the distributor to see if it didn't come loose by chance. Also check the crank pulley there is a key on it if that possibly came loose or broke the car will not start.
Old 01-31-11, 02:15 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neuman417
i own a 2008 ls 460 with 23000 miles the chrome bezels around the both exhaust are turning black any ideas thank you al neuman
Thats something you cant stop from happening. Your going to just up keep by cleaning it oftenly.
Old 01-31-11, 02:18 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by radiohound
Hi tach Man:

Thank you for what you do for this community.

Have a 93 100LS with about 160K on it. recently did the deal with the tiing belt, rollers, tensionsioner, WP, everything.

Everything works well for about 5K. Then my CEL came on last week went off a couple of times. I took it to a local service place. They said it was a Code 13 .. Crankshaft Position sensor, according to the service people.

They replaced it, and pronounced it ok. I went to pick it up, started it...no light, and then the light comes back on.

they are telling me its throwing a hard code ...13 again ..and point towards the ECU ....

Everything I read tells me this is the camshaft position sensor ... and they are wrong ...

I cannot afford to have them go on a search and destroy mission until they somehow fix it through blind luck ..

any thoughts or guidance ...

thanks

radiohound
Looks like the timing jumped a tooth. Have them re-inspect the timing on it.
Old 01-31-11, 02:20 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Correct it is currently untouched
You may need a dealer scanner to clear the codes as there are parameters that need to be re calibrated.
Old 02-01-11, 01:16 PM
jc3103
Rookie

I have a ls460, 2008. I had a clicking noise when pushing on the brakes. Lexus replaced the brake accuator about a year ago. Noise was gone, but recently returned as a click, click, click when I brake at slow speeds. I took it to Lexus yesterday for the VSR recall, and was told they could not hear the brake clicking noise. I am going to test drive it tomorrow when I pick it up at the dealer. Is there still a problem with the accuator?

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician