NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 12:01 PM
tewbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issue

I have a '99 GS300, w 150K miles. Sometimes when I try to start, I just get clicks and nothing else. I had the battery checked, and replaced and still have issues. It usually happens when the car is being started for the first time in the mornings. My guess is starter solenoid or starter. Not sure if i can just replace the solenoid. Any suggestions?
Old 10-07-10, 12:49 PM
omanely
Driver School Candidate

Hello. I had a question. lexus dealer has my 99 rx 300 cylinders 1,3,5 misfire. they claim its the cats that r bad, 3500.00 to replace them. Where can I get the cats for a cheep and is it easy to swap out these parts? thanks
Old 10-14-10, 06:33 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a question about my 06 GS300, car has approx 55k on it. A few weeks ago i noticed that sometimes when I start my car the power steering light (P/S) would come on. Not thinking anything of it, i would shut my car off and turn it back on and the light would go away and the power steering would work again. So last week while going to breakfast, the steering sounded funny. You know when you seem low on fluid and the steering wheel makes a creek noise when turning it. So fast forward to a couple days ago. Im driving to go pick up some stuff and my car starts to feel funny. If I turn my wheel slightly one way or the other, the wheel almost feels like its sticking in that direction and you have to straighten it back out. Kind of like when you have a flat tire and it feels like its pulling to one side, similar to that (i know its hard to explain). So with all this going on (mind you the P/S light has not come on for a few weeks now) i figured id check the power steering to see how it looks, come to find out theres no reservoir for the power steering. Im not really sure how to go out and check it. I browsed through the manual and theres no mention of power steering anywhere. Not sure what could be wrong. Is there anything i can check to figure out whats causing this problem short of having to take it to Lexus?
Old 10-14-10, 11:50 AM
goaliebill
Rookie

Hi:
1992 SC400 - 427,000 km.
The CEL comes on, quickly followed by the "Trac Off" light. When I download the code, it comes up 25.
I recently replaced both upstream O2 sensors with Densos I bought on e-bay.
I checked a buddy's workshop manual which indicates only the CEL will come on if it's exhibiting a code. The car runs strong with no unusual fuel consumption.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-10, 03:42 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi! Long time listener, first time caller.

I am going to swap the steering wheel on my 06 IS350 - how do I make sure that the airbag doesn't deploy during this process? I've heard of methods such as holding the brake pedal down for 90 seconds, disconnecting the battery, etc, but I'd like to get an official answer.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-18-10, 04:09 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
Hi! Long time listener, first time caller.

I am going to swap the steering wheel on my 06 IS350 - how do I make sure that the airbag doesn't deploy during this process? I've heard of methods such as holding the brake pedal down for 90 seconds, disconnecting the battery, etc, but I'd like to get an official answer.

Thanks in advance!
disconnet the battery and remove the fuse is always the safest bet
Old 10-24-10, 03:04 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 1990 LS400 Heat?

I think the cable to the heater control valve is broken. I just want to know which way the valve is for heat or no heat. UP or Down?????

thanks

I figured it out, goes up.

Last edited by dicer; 10-24-10 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-25-10, 01:04 PM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hood Release Cable

I have a 2005 IS300 and the hood will not open. I have tried pulling the release from inside the car and the cable is very loose. The hood does not move when I do this. I assume that the cable has come loose from somewhere. Any suggestions on how to open the hood with no release from inside the car?
Old 10-29-10, 09:35 AM
BernieIS

No one has any ideas on this issue?
Old 10-29-10, 12:13 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieIS
I have a 2005 IS300 and the hood will not open. I have tried pulling the release from inside the car and the cable is very loose. The hood does not move when I do this. I assume that the cable has come loose from somewhere. Any suggestions on how to open the hood with no release from inside the car?
if you can access the cable close to the latch use a pair of pliers and pull it. YOu have to be able to grab the actual metal part of it, so you may have to strip the cable to access it. It's kind of like a bicycle brake cable.
Attached Thumbnails Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-screen-shot-2010-10-29-at-3.11.36-pm.jpg   Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-screen-shot-2010-10-29-at-3.16.38-pm.jpg   Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-screen-shot-2010-10-29-at-3.17.09-pm.jpg  

Last edited by GSoup; 10-29-10 at 12:18 PM. Reason: additional info added...
Old 10-31-10, 11:38 AM
BernieIS

Thanks GSoup
Old 11-04-10, 10:39 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 1990 LS400 steering question

When its cold it kinda hits a stop feeling as your turning. I'm thinking its a valve that just doesn't like to move well. This is both directions. Anyone have this problem and know the cure? Its okay after it warms up a bit.
Old 11-07-10, 12:16 PM
jerryparks
Driver

Default 2 questions: turn signal - gas consumption

My front turn signals are not working on either side. They do not light up or
blink when in use. I have checked all the usual suspects ( fuses, light sockets and lamps.) All are in excellent shape with no corresion. The rear
turn signal lights all work perfect. What am I missing? I am also not getting any codes. I am thinking about changing the 02 sensors.

What is the average MPG gas consumtion on mostly in town driving
on a '92 LS 400? I am getting just over 15, which I think is low.
Old 11-07-10, 03:22 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Default response in red

Originally Posted by Viper6
Hey Tach, big fan of your advice... now I need some of my own.

New to me CPO 05 LS430 with 49k. When going down straight highway, will not track straight without constant attention. It seems to wander and when you correct slightly it seems to overreact and that forces counter steer, on and on... it really undermines the confidence on highway of this otherwise solid ride, requiring constant attention by the driver is beyond annoying

Your tires may have raised edges and/or uneven tire wear causing it to wander. swap tires front to rear and see if that helps if not replace all tires and get an alignment that will correct your issue.

I looked underneath and noted a glob of tan grease on my tie rod ball joints (where they attach to hubs)... both sides were wet and had visible weeping down the tie rod and onto the hubs. Took it in to dealership and mech looked at another LS in the shop and it had that same look and he chalked it up to normal (comparing a defect to a defect does not fly with me). said he wiped them off and saw no cracks and will check again at next service. At same visit they replaced front wheel bearings and hubs under warranty due to getting noisy (not sure if this could be related in any way).

Thats a poor excuse from the dealer. You need it replaced.

FYI - For CPO they replaced 2 tires... no mention of an alignment though.

You need an alignment or you will have the same problem ll over again,

Questions:
1) What could be causing the highway wandering and lack of precision in steering inputs/reactions? What should I suggest to the tech when I bring it back to check (or I will do it myself).
2) Should I be seeing grease on ball joints and obvious leaking? I thought these were sealed for life, etc. This says they have failed to me, but am I wrong?

answered your question above, your 50/50 on the grease they are on the verge of failing.

FYI I noted that the lower control arm inboard mounts have concentric adjusters (brass with tickmarks)... one is on TM5, the other is on TM9... Not sure if that means anything or just where it was installed at factory for proper alignment...

factory settings

Thanks for any help!

Your answers are in red
Old 11-07-10, 03:23 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tewbert
I have a '99 GS300, w 150K miles. Sometimes when I try to start, I just get clicks and nothing else. I had the battery checked, and replaced and still have issues. It usually happens when the car is being started for the first time in the mornings. My guess is starter solenoid or starter. Not sure if i can just replace the solenoid. Any suggestions?

Replace your starter. The plunger is getting stuck.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician