NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

What would you do? - Benchmark Motors Columbia MD

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 09:54 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What would you do? - Benchmark Motors Columbia MD

I got tires from Tire Rack and used Benchmark Motors for mounting/balancing. While they are primarily an MB/BMW shop, they have other certifications and said they'd happily work on Lexus. They have seemed competent and friendly.

I had actually been back a few times, all on tire and wheel related stuff, when last time I was there, they told me that the front brakes had 3/32 left. As Benchmark is walking distance from my office, thinking of the trip to the dealership, I asked how much it would be. The guy working the counter at that point (who is the owner) looks it up and says $230 for pads and turning the rotors. That sounded good to me, so I said "Put me on the schedule."

I got the call to pick my car up and about fell out of my chair. I'm told told it'll be $740. I mentioned the estimate of $230, and the guy says "We tried to turn the rotors and couldn't and he read the price of the rotors from the breakdown noting they were more expensive than some.

I was pissed that they didn't call for authorization on the rotors. I wouldn't have had them replace the rotors. I have another shop with a personal relationship and would have taken that route, possibly getting the rotors myself if they were actually needed. And I hate that BS line that car shops give people that "We tried to turn them but just couldn't" like it's an effort that they made to try to help me. You measure the friggin things and they are either under spec or not.

Anyway, I was fuming as I went to pick my car up. The guy pushes the $740 repair bill and my key across the counter. I presume seeing my anger, he again comments "Sometimes rotors just can't be turned" with a "Sh!^ Happens" shoulder shrug.

I said "Look, I would not have chosen to have my rotors replaced here if you had called me. I'd like my old rotors back."

He goes into the shop for a while and comes back saying "You know what? We actually did resurface those. I'll just need to reprint your ticket."

He did say "Sorry for the mistake," and because relief was my primary feeling at that moment, I almost reflexively said "No problem."

As I drove down the street and relief started getting replaced with anger again. I started choking on the taste of those words...he says "Sorry" I say "No problem." No problem? No problem???

It was a big problem.

If I hadn't asked for my rotors, they would have charged me $740 and let me drive away.

As I type it, I have to say "Wow!"

Any thoughts on what you'd do other than not going back?
Old 08-20-09, 10:08 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a perfect world, i would go back with a flame thrower and burn the place down. But, its not, so just leave it at that and let karma take its course.
Old 08-20-09, 11:30 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW that's all i can say man, God was watching over.
Old 08-20-09, 11:34 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

whats done is done and you called them out on it. they got caught and you didnt have to pay the bill. like you mentioned, i would never go back there again. if you think its a big deal, you can always file a complaint with the BBB.
Old 08-20-09, 12:29 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have filed a complaint with the BBB once before and it did about squat so yeah i say don't even waste your time. i would pay some bums 10$ upfront and another 10$ each after they stood outside for 3 hours holding up big protest signs talking about how shady their shop/ business practices are. the saddest part about all of this is that it happens all the freakin time, all the freakin time at numerous shops in the DMV area every day. i can name 3 that i know of that operate like this a lot. thanks for letting us know, and i will be sure to pass around the bad word about their shop if it ever comes up in conversation.
Old 08-20-09, 12:32 PM
drpepper
Instructor

I've been stewing. Time to stop. I basically turned an abbreviated version of my post above into letter form addressed to the owner and dropped it off when I got my lunch.

We'll see if there is any response.
Old 08-20-09, 12:35 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by sojah
i would pay some bums 10$ upfront and another 10$ each after they stood outside for 3 hours holding up big protest signs
Hmmm...maybe I could spread the word that there's health care reform meetings being held inside....
Old 08-20-09, 12:36 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow......just wow.......Don't go back.
Old 08-20-09, 12:47 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by ASG14
Wow......just wow.......Don't go back.
I know I can't go back now. It just sucks to have a shop be so close and I can't use them.

Like I said, I have a friendly relationship with a good shop owner a bit farther away. He's honest and a great mechanic himself, but he owns a Shell station and some of the people that he's had working for him have been knuckleheads - over torquing lug nuts and stuff like that.

I've been very happy with the service department at the dealership, but the distance is the worst of all options. It's hard to believe there's not a Lexus dealership in Columbia/Clarksville.
Old 08-20-09, 01:39 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the $240 a written estimate ? If not that's the GOTCHA ...

I dunno the MD laws but in VA it is usually written on the estimate sheet that the shop cannot charge more than 10% of the estimate without the consent of the customer.

Asking for your old parts is a wise wise move ... I always write that down on any work orders.
Old 08-20-09, 01:46 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

its not the whole estimate thing hes mad about. its the fact that they did the work and did not call him to say what they were doing. they never called and said they put "new" rotors on the car.

btw i got a quote for my 3GS for rotors from the dealer and they wanted over $150/rotor. f' that
Old 08-20-09, 02:07 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by BossGS4
Was the $240 a written estimate ? If not that's the GOTCHA ...
It's not so simple in this case. There's no gotcha that allows them to charge me for parts they didn't put on my car.
Old 08-20-09, 02:16 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
its the fact that they did the work and did not call him to say what they were doing. they never called and said they put "new" rotors on the car.
Sorry for the long and confusing story...

You seem to have misunderstood. They did call and say they put new rotors on the car at $239 ea.

I was initially mad when they called and said they had put the new rotors on the car and that my bill was $740.

But it made me even more mad that while they tried to charge me $740 for a job including new rotors, when I asked for my old rotors back, their story changed and they said "Oops we didn't really put rotors on, we resurfaced the ones that we just told you couldn't be resurfaced."

IOW They attempted to defraud me.

Last edited by drpepper; 08-20-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 03:53 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK,, few coments.

1. You and I both know that mechanics to whom we have a good reputation/trust with is very hard to come by. Understandibly, the place was within walking distance to your office. Lesson learned, as you now see their business practices, and do not go back.

2. They are right, only in the respect that some rotors can't be turned. IF the rotor was not within spec(too thin), or was a CD(Cross Drilled), or a CDS(Cross Drilled & Slotted), or a Slotted rotor then they would be right. Only option for these type rotors IS replacement. Just so you know, most established shops will not allow you to bring your own parts in to have them replace. Too much of a liability issue, especially if the parts you bring in are not correct, fails, etc. They do not want to be held responsible. This is the reason why you find a good mechanic that you trust and establish that relation with him.

3. You were right in demending to have the return of your old parts back. They have an obligation to provide the part to you(if requested) in order to prove that what was authorized WAS actually completed.

4. You were also right in being completely upset about the $740 bill for supposed "NEW" rotors. Anytime a job goes over the estimated cost which was quoted, it is only professional courtesy to call the customer to inform them as well as seek authorization to do the work(considering the gross amount of overage from the bill). In the same respect, ESTABLISHED shops also have an "implied liability" of responsibility. What this means is IF they measured your old rotors and they were found to be unsafe for you to continue to drive on. It is their RESPONSIBILITY to inform you of what their findings are. You CAN take the car from their shop, not having the work done; however SMART SHOP OPERATORS are gonna have you sign something to establish the fact that you were informed of their findings and you are waiving liability by not having the work completed.

5. Informing the owner of the poor service is a good idea. I would follow up tomorrow with a phone call to make sure that your voice has been heard and see what comes of it. If you have been getting your car serviced there before, the last thing they need is to lose a customer, or suffer from the waves of bad publicity. You belong to this forum, use it. Spreading the word of poor service(in the Car Chat section) will yield him more bad publicity than he will potentially want. Not saying to use "bullying tactics", but word of mouth is powerful.

Lastly for general services, since Lexus dealers are not too abundant, ALOT of Toyota dealers can also work on Lexus. I would seek one out that also has Lexus trained techs who can work on your car. There are far more Toyota dealers than Lexus in the Columbia area. This will also be a little cheaper in pirce as well.
Old 08-20-09, 07:07 PM
Isblue
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thats ridiculous. I will spread the word and tell noone to go there...

Quick Reply: What would you do? - Benchmark Motors Columbia MD