Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so how much was the tint ticket anyway?
Old 04-21-08, 11:26 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyjaix
wow...impressive, cat. Was this case handled at 16 Cooper st.? and 8pts, how fast were you going? and, phew...lol, how much was the lawyer fee?

yes it was at 16 cooper street.... 2 years for a court date? my court date was right on the ticket the cop handed me and it was 1 month from when i got the ticket if i decided to plead not guilty. i was clocked going 50 in a 30mph school zone. so it was 4 points x 2 because school zones are double points. the lawyer fee was $300 and my ticket came out to be $200 for the 2 point violation. i had no choice tho because i already have 7 points on my license and 8 more, even with taking the 5 hour class to knock 4 off would have still resulted in a suspended license. but from now on im going to let a lawyer handle any speeding tickets i get just for the convenience of it and the lower points. but hopefully with my new radar i wont be receiving any more speeding tickets
Old 04-21-08, 11:40 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heyhowyado

tint tickets are usually around 150ish...or at least the one i got upstate was.. it was either take my tint off and show up to court with it off and the fine was dismissed...or leave it on and pay $150
Old 04-21-08, 12:39 PM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Hempstead Court on Cooper St? I am all too familiar with that court lmao good luck.

That courthouse sucks, and the DA there are a bunch fo d**ks
Old 04-21-08, 04:13 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Batmobile
eye doctor thing works....delaware people does that all the time.... (go to an asian doctor and give him 25 bucks to have him write you a note)

Ha, I got my win tinted in DE and there was a sign that said something about going to an eye doctor. The guy at the shop also recommended that I go the eye doctor route if I should ever get ticketed. So far so good; no tickets.
Old 04-21-08, 05:54 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
Hempstead Court on Cooper St? I am all too familiar with that court lmao good luck.

That courthouse sucks, and the DA there are a bunch fo d**ks
From what I heard and what I experience I thought that courthouse on cooper st. should be a pushover because all they want is money. It's ok though, I'm working on the eye doctor's note this week and am planning to plea not guilty to the speeding ticket. Wouldn't they have to assign a trial date other than the court date to here my speeding ticket? I heard the system is so backed up there that it takes the courtdate to assign a trial date 2 years down the line, if that's the case I hope the cop would have forgotten about it another 4 years down the line because I will most likely postpone it if it does. lol
Old 04-21-08, 10:40 PM
FranchiseB
Rookie

I live in DE and am about to get a tint. I was wondering about the b.s. law of the tint in this state. If i get pulled over and he mentions the tint I just say my eye doctor approved it? i hope that works cause i know my friends have been pulled over and harassed just for having the tint and not neccessarally speeding.
Old 04-22-08, 05:11 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FranchiseB
I live in DE and am about to get a tint. I was wondering about the b.s. law of the tint in this state. If i get pulled over and he mentions the tint I just say my eye doctor approved it? i hope that works cause i know my friends have been pulled over and harassed just for having the tint and not neccessarally speeding.
so if your friends have been harassed, what makes you think you will not face the same issues?
Old 04-22-08, 03:35 PM
Lucien911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sleeper97
Make sure you dont drive to court with the car with the tinted windows. I've heard stories where they went out to the parking lot to look for the car.
That's not a joke either. When I had my old Audi A4 a few years ago, I was in court for tint and the judge asked me if I had driven the offending car to court. I replied yes and he sent one of the bailiffs (or guards, w/e) out to the parking lot @ San Diego Superior Court in Cali to make sure my tint was off when I said it was.

Once the guard came back in and said my car was good to go, the judge suspended the fine as long as I got no additional violations for the next year. Just paid court costs and I was out..

Moral of the story: Don't BS the judge if you drive the car to court.
Old 04-22-08, 03:59 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tommyjaix
okay, what's gonna happen is that I'm going to fill out the window tint application form from the DMV and have a doctor note it and such and have it dismissed. I'm going to plead not guilty to the speeding ticket and look for a trial date, from what i heard cooper st. is so backed up that I won't receive a trial date for the ticket until 2 years down the road and by that time the cop probly wouldnt even show up and if he does I'll just postpone it another year and see what happens.
there are only two types of eye Disorder/disease that are allowed by NYS DMV. I looked into it a while ago when I put 5% on. Your doctor will have to mark you for life with the certain eye problems which could hurt you if you apply for a job that requires certain vision requirements.

And I never said i was a baller...but you gotta pay to play so to speak.
Old 04-22-08, 04:01 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
tint tickets are usually around 150ish...or at least the one i got upstate was.. it was either take my tint off and show up to court with it off and the fine was dismissed...or leave it on and pay $150
the ticket i was cited for was $65 by the bridge and tunnel police.
Old 04-22-08, 06:09 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FranchiseB
Don't worry about it and avoid moving violations where the cops will ticket you for the violation AND for having dark tints.
Old 04-22-08, 06:44 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

The problem with me is that my tints are 35% tints, which are legal so to speak, i hope. I mean, I can still see my interior of the car and what's sitting in the cupholder on a sunny day, and that's with black interior. The cop just bs'ed me and gave me a tint ticket based on his "personal observations". I made sure my tints in the front were 35% and 20% around the back. Thing is, when I was pulled over he ordered me to roll down my windows so he probly based the ticket seeing how dark my rear windows were. I've been pulled over before and cops that used the tint-meter let me go because the tint is of legal limit.

Well, my car is registered in my father's name for cheaper insurance and he does have sensitive eyes and his eye doctor has no problem to write him a note. We have tints on all our cars, my story in court would be that I was taking my father's car out for a drive and he is legally permitted tints due to his eye problem. They can't expect us to switch out the tints everytime we switch drivers. but then its my car and i drive it 99% of the time and i like the tints, especially thats its legal and still dark enough but the copper thought it was too dark, maybe cuz the idiot still had his shades on when he pulled me over. douchebag...
Old 04-22-08, 06:50 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by heyhowyado
I have yet to find out the costs of the tickets. They didn't have any penalty written on the tickets but I will find out when I go to court. I hope I won't have a problem to dismiss the window tint ticket, but I might have trouble fighting the speeding ticket, let's see if they can cut me a deal with 0 or 2 pts instead of the usual 6 for speeding. if not then i'll just plead not guilty and hope the cop never shows up in court.
Old 04-23-08, 06:14 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just so you can go to court with 'correct' info:

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

If the vehicle is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible, the rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.
35% isn't legal by any means

Quick Reply: how to fight a tint ticket???