NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Runflats installed in DMV

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 08:26 AM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Runflats installed in DMV

I took my 06 GS300 to the dealership for an oil change and was invited back to the shop floor (never a good sign) The tech showed me three of my four tires are worn to the tread on the inside of all three tires. For $1420 I can get three new tires from them. No thanks.
I have called all the tires places I know in DMV and noone carries Run Flats. I am now forced to buy online. NP. They are schedule to arrive soon.
I called Lexus to ask them how much they charge to install and they said they have a new policy that they will not install tires not purchased from them. Due to warranty restrictions for the tires. Great. So now the hunt is on for a shop that has the right equipment to install run flat. I did not think it was going to be this hard to replace tires. Anyone now of shops in Maryland (PG)? Someone also recommended Tirevan.com. they will come and install at your house. Good or Bad service.

Stefnee
Old 03-11-08, 11:02 AM
amorphous
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radial tire in silver spring does a really good job and they will mount balance while you wait. The price isn't bad either I had my 19's mounted there and they only charged me 60 a year ago.
Old 03-11-08, 12:26 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Damn!!! they have run flats? thats crazy..good luck on find some.
Old 03-11-08, 02:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

be sure to get an alignment when the tires go on
or at least correct what is causing the uneven thread wear.
its cheaper than having to replace them again in a year
Old 03-11-08, 04:28 PM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ntb

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
be sure to get an alignment when the tires go on
or at least correct what is causing the uneven thread wear.
its cheaper than having to replace them again in a year
Thanks. Taking it to Lexus for the alignment. Just had the worst experience at NTB. Called prior to going to CONFIRM they can do run flats and to verify they will honor what is on the tirerack price for installation. Once I got there, they wrote the ticket up for $100, when the car was in back the tech saw they were run flats coming off and going on and said the price needed to change. Wanted to charge me almost $200 I told them to take the car down. They honored the first price, but after that experience just wanted to get the tires on.
Old 03-11-08, 07:15 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know, Runflats will be coming off any car I purchase. I just don't like the way they ride? Not worth unless you have a 100k dollar car with no trunk. Good luck on your search, oh and alignment.
Old 08-04-11, 07:22 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amorphous
Radial tire in silver spring does a really good job and they will mount balance while you wait. The price isn't bad either I had my 19's mounted there and they only charged me 60 a year ago.
I've been going to Radial Tire in Silver Spring since '09 when I bought my 2008 IS 350. However I'm going to stop going now after my latest experience. When I had my new Hankook V12 tires installed in May, I had to take the car in twice to figure out there was a problem with my new tires (further details here if anyone's interested: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...ml#post6584617 ).

But I took my car today to Ye Olde Wheel Shop in Elkridge, MD where they have the Hunter GSP9700 machine and it seems with that, they would have figured out right away what was going on. I got to hang out in the garage while they were getting to the bottom of what was up with my tires and rim. It's $45 a tire to mount but I think I'm going to go here from now on.

A little off topic but while we're on the subject, regarding alignment, we looked at the Right rear tire in detail (or maybe it was the front right) and it looked like the inner was wearing .2mm more than the outer of the tire. 5k miles have been put on the tire. I'm not sure if my IS 350 has an aggressive alignment which causes that though. Didn't look at the thread of the other tires in this much details.
Old 01-12-12, 09:00 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stefnee
I called Lexus to ask them how much they charge to install and they said they have a new policy that they will not install tires not purchased from them. Due to warranty restrictions for the tires. ...
I went to Lexus a few days ago to take care of some other items and during the visit, I put all my winter tires in my backseat and asked if they would pull my summers off and put these on. They did for $28 a tire (which isn't bad, Radial Tire charges $25 a tire if you didn't get the tires from them/$15 if you did). The winter tires nor the Summer tires were purchased and installed through Lexus. I had them done through Radial Tire. I'm wondering if they let that go because they kind of know me. Next year or the year after when it's time to replace my summer tires I'm going to see if Lexus will install again for the same price if I still buy from elsewhere
Old 01-13-12, 06:19 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a Sunoco in Bowie off off 197 with a very good and honest mechanic. They can do your mounting and balancing. They don't have an alignment machine though. For that you can take it up to Toyota of Bowie as they have a state of the art laser alignment machine.