NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

GT spec 2nd gen IS under braces...installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 10:38 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice dress up kit. any differences? How much for the strut set?
Old 12-18-07, 07:13 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Nice braces .
Old 12-18-07, 07:26 AM
TracknIS
Rookie

thanks guys....

the kit definally helps with flex, especially the rear where is tied into.

i forgot to mention, the kit weights like nothing, unfortunally i did not place them on the scale to confirm but just from handling it, its really light for braces like these.
Old 12-18-07, 09:23 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

how muc did they run you?
Old 12-18-07, 09:49 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

some serious suspension work..haha
Old 12-18-07, 01:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that they look cool, but what evidence do you have that shows any actual performance benefit? Did your lap times improve? Seat of the pants impressions are worse than worthless.
Old 12-18-07, 05:37 PM
TracknIS
Rookie

there are probably not much gains, however anything that can help to stiffen the chasis its worth it.

i know the factory box brace were upgraded by the f-series, i am sure if they put something in place from factory, than upgraded its got to help with providing additional support, adding additional braces like these at certain area on the chasis cant hurt, especially when not much weight is gained.
Old 12-18-07, 05:53 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TracknIS
there are probably not much gains, however anything that can help to stiffen the chasis its worth it.

i know the factory box brace were upgraded by the f-series, i am sure if they put something in place from factory, than upgraded its got to help with providing additional support, adding additional braces like these at certain area on the chasis cant hurt, especially when not much weight is gained.
The whole "anything can help" and "it's not that expensive" thing is what drives 95% of the industry producing worthless chassis braces.

I've spent enough money on those worthless braces, and enough time on tracks with and without them to know that the biggest "benefit" is weight reduction in the wallet most of the time. So far, I haven't heard of any real reason to think Lexus didn't do a good job on our chassis in ways that can be overcome by the traditionally worthless braces.
Old 12-18-07, 05:56 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
The whole "anything can help" and "it's not that expensive" thing is what drives 95% of the industry producing worthless chassis braces.

I've spent enough money on those worthless braces, and enough time on tracks with and without them to know that the biggest "benefit" is weight reduction in the wallet most of the time. So far, I haven't heard of any real reason to think Lexus didn't do a good job on our chassis in ways that can be overcome by the traditionally worthless braces.
So youre saying its not worth it.
Old 12-18-07, 06:49 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey bud... looks good... hope i could test drive it some time bring it out to some meets
Old 12-18-07, 07:48 PM
TracknIS
Rookie

I agree that they look cool, but what evidence do you have that shows any actual performance benefit? Did your lap times improve? Seat of the pants impressions are worse than worthless.

you just said on the last post "seat of the pants impression are worse than worthless" and you follow up by saying you spend time on the track to conclude they are worthless.... i think its better to leave it to the person who has some type of device that can do some proper measurement and testing on these specific braces on our car to conclude they are useless. also i havent find anything that will indicate IS needs besides the OEM new car features that mention the box frame under car were added to provide additional bracing to maintain "torsional rigidity".
majority of the cars out there will exhibit some form of chasis flex one way or another, having additional bracing in place to help to reduce that flex its worth it when the car is being pushed to the limit, just because you dont feel it working it doesnt mean they are useless.
Old 12-19-07, 06:11 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I'm not saying they are worthless at all. What I'm saying is that seat of the pants impressions are worthless, and MOST of the braces available for street cars are just sold for the soul purpose of appearance. When I talk about proving their value on a track, I'm talking about lap times, not seat of the pants.

FWIW, I haven't noticed any sort of flex with street tires that would make me think that the chassis needed any stiffening at all.
Old 12-19-07, 06:13 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TracknIS
i think its better to leave it to the person who has some type of device that can do some proper measurement and testing on these specific braces on our car to conclude they are useless.

And who do you think will do this? I would bet money that the manufacturer of these braces didn't do any sort of scientific testing on a 2IS chassis to develop these braces. I'm sure they just took a bunch of measurements between some bolts under the car, and started welding.
Old 12-19-07, 07:43 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

They look great and I think if the person that got them feels a substantial difference, then who's to say it hasn't helped?
Old 12-19-07, 12:27 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure all you F1 drivers will chime in with some sort of negative response, but here it goes... the real benifit to adding these braces would not be from making the chasis stiffer...this would actually make less grip, you want the car to flex over bumps so the tires stay planted to the surface when the weight of the car is loaded on a given corner.
The benefit would be having a stable platform that is constant, run to run...
The average car without these brace will bend and twist. If you were to set your car up, go to the track, beat it for the day, and check your settings again, chances are they will all be off to some degree. The next time you go to the track, they will be off again, because of the fatigue. That is the real benifit of these, they are not made to make your car noticebly faster...Just more consistant. Please don't take offense, just trying to share some secrets.:

Quick Reply: GT spec 2nd gen IS under braces...installed