NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Major Problems Need Some Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 01:46 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Major Problems Need Some Help !!!

NELOC family I got some major problems. Well adleast I may have. Its a really long story so here we go.

Ok about a month ago I had to replace the rear main valve seal in the ES. But to get to it you have to drop the transmission. So when we drained the tranny fluid it was like syrup. This was wierd cuz I got the 60K, 75K, and 100K services done and they had the tranny service included. This let me know the A**holes at Lexus didnt do what they were supposed to. So we used some type of cleaning detergent to clean the tranny, replaced the seal, changed the oil, brand new tranny fluid from Lexus, and did my exhaust. So everything worked fine and it was all good. It even shifted a little smoother.

So its been running fine ever since and I even picked up a little on my gas mileage. No leaks of any fluid, no problems with acceleration, nothing. So today I crank up to go to work and I notice a whinnying sound. The ES just sounded a little louder than normal so I let it warm up and it stopped. So I'm thinking could be a belt or it could be the cold weather. I'm driving to work and it feels a little hesitant to shift from 3rd to 4th but nothing too bad. So I thought to myself that feels a little weird. Go into work, have a few meetings, do some things and then leave for lunch.

So I get in the car and pull off. Then as I'm pulling out of the parking lot it starts to feel very bad. It felt as if I was in Drive (D) and then I went to Neutral. The engine was revving but I wasent picking up any speed. I shift down to 2 and then down to L and it picks up a little speed but not much. So I quickly bust a u-turn and pretty much coast it back into the parking lot. I leave the car on and pop the hood to see if I see anything and I see everything is connected but I hear the whinnying sound again. So with the car in park I give it some gas and it sounds normal. I get back in the car put it in D and it starts off as usual and then it stops picking up speed and engine starts revving again.

So at this time I'm worried. I know if ur tanny is slipping u defintley shouldnt drive it so I just park it and cut it off. I go back in talk to the guys from VIP garage and a few other people and we're thinking it may be my tranny. I had to get wifey to come get me from work and I went home. ( it was sad waiting for wifey to come get me from school) I left my car at work for the night. (Its safe I got NSA Police who patrol around my company's buildings lol) So I came home and jump on CL and search the ES forums for any others with the same problems and they all seem to point to 2 things. Tranny rebuild or New Tranny.

Wow, I know this is a long post. So wifey and I talked so I'm gonna see whats up with it and have my tranny rebuilt if thats the problem and probably get rid of the ES. I love her but she's got 125K on her and after reading the CL threads there seems to be some problems with the ES trannys. Its not a problem with all of them but there is a pattern in the 97-01 ESs after 100K. I hate to see her go but she is my daily and I need something I can count on.

So she may or may not be gone soon. If anyone knows of a good shop I can take her to for the tranny service and a nice reliable towing company please let me know asap. I would take it back to VIP Garage but I dont have 2 and 3 weeks to wait to get it done and I'm not trying to get it towed all the way to VA. So if anyone can help me out please do. This is a sad day for the ES/Camry/Solara family but I know NELOC has my back.

-Smitty
Old 03-20-07, 01:56 PM
hb55047
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey smitty i will make some calls and see if i can get you some local help.
Old 03-20-07, 03:10 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a rebuilt tranny shouldn't be too much....
Old 03-20-07, 03:15 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Smitty why dont u go find another ES... and u let me kno then ill come out to you one night and.......... ah-ah i guesss ill pm u the rest.

but on the real get it checked out with Lexus certified Mech. 1st!!
if that dont work out take it to Vip and turbo it out till the tranny full gives up!
Old 03-20-07, 03:31 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nyARISTO
Smitty why dont u go find another ES... and u let me kno then ill come out to you one night and.......... ah-ah i guesss ill pm u the rest.
lol u know that did cross my mind for a hot second. If wifey wasent such a goodie-goodie I would.........ahhhhh tryin to get a brotha his 3rd strike.

-Smitty
Old 03-20-07, 03:48 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about this Smitty, hopefully by some freak chance it's something else. I gotta guy up here who's good, but unfortunately that's no help to you. I'll see if he knows anyone in your area.
Old 03-20-07, 04:25 PM
kwamdoo74
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about you tranny Smitty. I know of a tranny spot off of Route 1 in Laurel/Jessup called NRH. The work done there by this one particular mechanic is phenomenal. HE builds tranny's for cars that drag race and that due autocross. His name is Rob. They went under new management because of efficiency issues, but the name of the shop is the same and the mechanic's name is Rob. He might not be the fastest, but he is definitely the best when it comes to tranny's. Ask to speak with Rob, tell him the situation and ask him when and how long it would take to fix. (301)6172500. Second to none with tranny work. He did a VB mod and tranny cooler on my '98 Maxima and it stills shifts nice and strong after 178k+. Tanny's for the Max usually last under "normal driving conditions" for 125-150k before needing some work or having to be replaced. I hope that helps.
Old 03-20-07, 04:59 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kwamdoo74
Sorry to hear about you tranny Smitty. I know of a tranny spot off of Route 1 in Laurel/Jessup called NRH. The work done there by this one particular mechanic is phenomenal. HE builds tranny's for cars that drag race and that due autocross. His name is Rob. They went under new management because of efficiency issues, but the name of the shop is the same and the mechanic's name is Rob. He might not be the fastest, but he is definitely the best when it comes to tranny's. Ask to speak with Rob, tell him the situation and ask him when and how long it would take to fix. (301)6172500. Second to none with tranny work. He did a VB mod and tranny cooler on my '98 Maxima and it stills shifts nice and strong after 178k+. Tanny's for the Max usually last under "normal driving conditions" for 125-150k before needing some work or having to be replaced. I hope that helps.
Thanks Kwamdoo. I'll definitely give him a call first thing tomorrow. I'm hoping its something simple and its not too major. Thanks guys.

-Smitty
Old 03-20-07, 06:47 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Smitty sorry to hear, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the EXACT SAME THING happened to me with my 1st Gen GS. I dont know what the cause of your is, but mine was rocking the car out when caught on ice (I'd just moved to Mass and didnt know the lay of the land).

Anyways, I know that exact wining sound, very subdued and sort of high pitch. The funny thing is, my car made that sound in a gradual way, started really quiet at startup, and then persisted. At the time I was in between wheels, so when I put the new wheels on (Saturday afternoon), it called it quits Sunday morning. I'll never forget becuase I was on my way to my first Clublexus meet!

Same exact thing, pulled out and car began to slip. The car was CPO so I actuallly had it towed from Brooklyn to MA and it was covered (6k total, because I had a 5speed tranny). I know that "pit of the stomach falls out" feeling that you had.

I can honestly say that if its not mega dollars to fix / rebuild I dont know that I would junk the car so quickly. See the best repair price and consider keeping it, if you think its worth it!

Good luck man
Old 03-20-07, 07:01 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty0881
So we used some type of cleaning detergent to clean the tranny
Sorry to hear about your tranny troubles Smitty. This was a big mistake on the part of the tech. Cardinal rule is to never ever flush your tranny with chemicals. It can ruin a transmission Safest method to get rid of old gunky fluid is with clean transmission fluid via the T-tech tranny fluid exchanger machine. This method is 99% effective and safe. If you were here in NYC, I could of taken you to my Amsoil guy to take care of your tranny one good time with no worries. Many members here were pleased with the Amsoil services rendered.

Good luck.

P.S...... Get a GS
Old 03-21-07, 03:03 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, Smitty... Hang in there, I'll put some calls out today. I know one great transmission mechanic, but he moved last year to Tennessee. He comes back to MD often though, and he still has a shop set up here. I will contact him today.
Old 03-21-07, 07:23 AM
fonzo
Pole Position

sorry to here about the tranny. As for towing AAA has a package they will tow you 300 miles a year, 100 miles a day limit for $75 hope that helps
Old 03-21-07, 08:39 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kwamdoo74
I'm about to give ur boy a call and see whats what. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by fonzo
sorry to here about the tranny. As for towing AAA has a package they will tow you 300 miles a year, 100 miles a day limit for $75 hope that helps
Me and my wife were just talking the other day about joing AAA. Its all good cuz my boy has a trailer for his track car and he said he'll take me wherever I need to go. But thanks bro.

-Smitty
Old 03-21-07, 09:46 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got off the phone with my Tennessee friend, the transmission guy. Since he had a preemie daughter recently, he's bogged down with doctor visits for a while, but he recommended a guy in Pasadena, MD. I will stop through this guy's shop on my way to work today...and check him and the shop out.
Old 03-21-07, 10:13 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is NELOC...

Smitty hang in there...we will get that ES up and running! SO what if you have to stay two-tone now...get that trans fixed and send the bill to whoever had the grand idea of using chemicals to clean the trans out.

Quick Reply: Major Problems Need Some Help !!!