NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Big snow storm coming, are you guys prepared

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 05:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I drove in this morning and the roads are icy do to sleet The Cross Island to the LIE was horrible, but the X3 made through like a champ. Drive with caution guys..There are other folks that drive in these conditions as if it was a dry summer day. The sleet is still coming down & increasing intensity.
Old 02-14-07, 05:57 AM
Suspect7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, driving from wantagh to hempstead via the parkways looked ugly, so I took the side streets this morning, which of course werent plowed and were probably worse off than the parkways were, but with fewer cars it made the drive much shorter and more pleasant, only took me a few more minutes than normal to get to school for my 8am Wills class
Old 02-14-07, 06:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Suspect7
yea, driving from wantagh to hempstead via the parkways looked ugly, so I took the side streets this morning, which of course werent plowed and were probably worse off than the parkways were, but with fewer cars it made the drive much shorter and more pleasant, only took me a few more minutes than normal to get to school for my 8am Wills class
Ahhh Estates Trusts & Wills. I enjoyed that class. Make me not want to go out intestate. You should know what that means
Old 02-14-07, 06:42 AM
Suspect7
Rookie

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
[/B]Ahhh Estates Trusts & Wills. I enjoyed that class. Make me not want to go out intestate.
too true! makes me want to start giving what littel i do have inter vivos to my friends and family now so I don't have to worry about going out intestate!
Old 02-14-07, 06:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Suspect7
too true! makes me want to start giving what littel i do have inter vivos to my friends and family now so I don't have to worry about going out intestate!
Wait until you take family law. Drafting those Pendente lite motions is nooo joke
Old 02-14-07, 02:28 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i gotta go dig out my car now cause i gotta be at work at 1 am anyone wanna pick me up haha
Old 02-14-07, 04:15 PM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the snow is to the bottom of my bumper so i donnt think ill be taking it out just yet
Old 02-14-07, 04:32 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

...What a storm we had. i give mother nature a 3 out of 10 on this one, weak.
Old 02-14-07, 05:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerLex
So much for the snow storm... hello ICE storm.
I managed to escape NYC today after many hours and two aborted attempts (got to the runway and turned back due to ice on the plane or 'ice pellets' falling). We were one of the few that got off the ground.

So many flights were delayed and with a holiday weekend coming that they were talking about Saturday before I could get out. I managed to jump on a plane to Fort Meyers FL which is where I sit... Figured I'll have a better chance to get home from a city without all the backup and weather.

Travel time today so far, 14.5 hours and counting.
Old 02-14-07, 07:28 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Smart move DaveGS4, very smart. Everything here is frozen.

I finally ventured out this evening and pulled the Land Cruiser out of the garage. When I hit the driveway the tires barely penetrated the ice! Entire neighborhood hadn't been plowed so I stuck it in 4Lo and crawled down the hill riding an existing tire track. Almost at the bottom of the hill and a Sienna turns to come up the hill. Instead of yielding so I can pass and then he can jump on the existing tracks, he decides to play chicken and try to force me off the existing tracks. Well I've got the family with me so instead of playing I just stop in the middle of the road. He now has to stop. Then I glide by him and give me a friendly stare since he probably lives in the neighborhood. I enjoyed watching the Sienna in the side view mirror spinning tires - he can't make it up the hill. Game over.
Old 02-14-07, 07:36 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW ..sSorry to here that Dave.. 14.5 hours Well at least your out of this mess. GL on the rest of your trip. I know you can't wait to just be home, kick off your shoes and relax.
Old 02-14-07, 07:42 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RacerLex
Smart move DaveGS4, very smart. Everything here is frozen.

I finally ventured out this evening and pulled the Land Cruiser out of the garage. When I hit the driveway the tires barely penetrated the ice! Entire neighborhood hadn't been plowed so I stuck it in 4Lo and crawled down the hill riding an existing tire track. Almost at the bottom of the hill and a Sienna turns to come up the hill. Instead of yielding so I can pass and then he can jump on the existing tracks, he decides to play chicken and try to force me off the existing tracks. Well I've got the family with me so instead of playing I just stop in the middle of the road. He now has to stop. Then I glide by him and give me a friendly stare since he probably lives in the neighborhood. I enjoyed watching the Sienna in the side view mirror spinning tires - he can't make it up the hill. Game over.

haha awesome! I put it in 4Lo to leave my driveway. I had attempted to shovel it so the LS can get out in the morning but its all ice encrusted snow. When i pulled out, 5760lbs of truck couldnt even push down on the snow enough to make a deep track!!!! Anyways, i only went and had fun while going to grab dinner, pulled a 360 at about 20mph on a very snow covered 6lane part of the road. Other than that i stayed pretty calm. The snow isnt ideal to play around in, you need powder for fun.

Its going to be fun trying to get the LS out in the morning, i might just pull it out into the street with the LX.
Old 02-14-07, 08:23 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

least work got canceled tonight due to the weather....gotta be there tomorrow afternoon though how come the city hasn't plowed anything yet???
Old 02-14-07, 08:41 PM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

My street is just getting plowed and we're supposed to be getting more snow soon... who knows?
Old 02-15-07, 06:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Finally made it home last night about midnight... long travel day!

I had a backup to take a train to Charlotte (13 hour ride) this morning out of Penn station rather than wait until Saturday. Just glad to make my way out of the messed up travel system this week.

Quick Reply: Big snow storm coming, are you guys prepared